Food and Wine Festival

pouncingpluto

DIS Veteran
So, I've been to WDW a ton of times, and as much as I love it, I'm always happy to try something new there. We'll be there for the last weekend of the Food and Wine Festival at Epcot, so I'm looking forward to trying it out!

How does this work exactly? Where are the booths? At the individual countries? Did they build pavillions for the countries that aren't already represented, but which are represented inthe festival? Do they use the big building from the milennium celebration? Is this only open in the evenings, or is it open for lunch? How much do the samples cost?

Thanks so much!

Originally posted by pouncingpluto
How does this work exactly? Where are the booths? At the individual countries? Did they build pavillions for the countries that aren't already represented, but which are represented inthe festival? Do they use the big building from the milennium celebration? Is this only open in the evenings, or is it open for lunch? How much do the samples cost?

Food booths are placed all around World Showcase -- near the countries and in between. There are many more countried represented than just the ones around WS -- you'll see food from places like Peru, Australia, Thailand, and Brazil, to name just a few.

Some countries build "mini-pavilions" -- Spain has one with a flamenco stage where dancers perform, as well as a small area where a guitarist plays.

Millenium Village is used for special events during the festival (the "Party for the Senses" is done there), but not as part of the regular event.

The food booths are open during every hour that World Showcase is open. Cost of samples varies, but it's usually between $3 and $4.50. I don't think any given sample -- food or wine" is over $5.

Enjoy!
:earsboy:

Just got back from the F+W.

Mostly they are just booth type kiosk's spread around the World Showcase. A couple of the "countries" had larger areas set up (Spain and Australia). In Australia they had a "wine walkabout". You could sample 6 different wines for $6. They also had very interesting Aboriginal entertainment going on (singing and dancing and quite educational).

I think the millenium show place is used for some of the special events (party for the senses etc), but not for the everyday F+W tasting.

The food samples range from $2 up to $4.50. I don't think there was any samples I saw over $5.

The wine ranges were about the same as the food.

Just a couple recommendations if you want them. The Shrimp and Beef samples at Australia were great. The spicey shirmp at the Florida booth was very good. The Chicken samples at Peru and South Africa were very good. The poached samon at Norway is very good also.

The Reisling wine at France was my favorite. We tried the Ice wine at Canada and really couldn't figure out what the attraction is. It costs $4.50/oz. That's right, an ounce. If I'm going to pay that much for a shot, it had better be tequila. And it reminded the 4 of us in our group of really sweet apple cider. We just didn't think it was worth the cost.

All in all it was a great time.

I second the recommendation on the Australian beef. Yummy! I would also recommend the Maple Salmon in Canada, ham & cheese crepe in France, beef shishkabob in Morocco, ziti in Italy, anything from the Chocolate Piedmonte booth, and the spanikopita in Greece. Also, we tried the Wine Walkabout in Australia and it was a lot of fun and a lot of wine!

Have fun!

Some more recommendations and I can't wait to return next Friday! The Cheddar Cheese soup in Canada, the beef stroganoff from Eastern Europe, the chocolate creme brulee from France and there was an awesome flourless chocolate macadamia nut cake at the chocolate booth (near Italy) I have to second the choice on the Austrailian beef and also the beef thing at South Africa. I just wish I were a little more adventurous but all the food I had was good!

The Beers of the World seminar in UK is great if you like beer. You need to sign up early though (go to the UK and sign up for one of the seminars)

The food and wine seminars held are good also.

The Cheddar Cheese soup in Canda is great. So is the Kiebaska (I have no idea how to spell that) in Poland!

My big dissappointments were the crepe in France (mine had been under a heat lamp for WAY too long and Coquille St. Jacques also in France. (How can French cooking be that bad!)

Try here for more info

http://www.allearsnet.com/tp/ep/fw04c.htm

Oh... just wanted to clarify... is it open at lunchtime?

I hope so, because that's the only time we're able to go.

We tried the maple salmon in Canada and it was terrible. And that's from someone who loves salmon.

They didn't have any prepared when we asked for it, so I don't know if they hurried it or what, but it was awful.

I agree, both the beef kabob and the Lemon Chicken in Morroco were very tasty.

The pizza in Italy was mediocre.

The pot stickers and the chicken in China were decent, but they were no different than you would get in any Chinese place.

The Chicken in India was just ok.

Both the taco's and quesidilla at Mexico were pretty good also.

Yes, it's open for lunch. We got there before noon and everything was open. The first beer tasting in the US didn't start til 12:30 pm, but the sample booths were open.

The apple strudel from Germany is excellent. I liked the veggies and couscous from Morocco, chicken from Peru and dan dan noodles from China. Not so crazy about the chocolate creme brulee from France and veggies with rice from India.

Enjoyed the beer tasting in the US. Was interesting.

There are cooking demonstrations in the Odyssey. I didn't go to any so I can't help. There is a menu posted of that day's food. I think there were 5 or 6 of them the day we were there.

The quesadillas were great (I wanted some salsa or a bit of sour cream to go with it).... the chocolate creme brulee in France didn't have the really chocolatey flavor that I was looking for..... the carmelized sugar on top totally overwhelmed it for me. Once I scraped the sugar off, it was better- but not something that I'll do again on my next trip.

The whiskey flan in Ireland was really good- as was the cannoli and strudel. I miss the green tea mousse at Japan. The hummus was really good- but they only give you one piece of pita chip with a scoop of hummus. DH had to ask for another chip so that we could share.

The Marcona Almonds at the Valencia, Spain booth were surprisingly good- and only $.50 (I don't know how to do the cent sign by computer). I went back on Saturday after having them on Friday so that my friend could try them, and they were sold out for the night. The Durban Chicken at the South Africa booth is spicy, but really good. I had them go easy on the barbecue sauce. Don't pass up the piece of corn meal cake that you get with it.... it calms the fire in your mouth after the chicken.

As you can see by my countdown, we'll be there again in a few weeks. But first we do the Incredibles screening on Saturday.

Have a great time!!!

We sample some of the food at Mexico, and the quesedilla and the grilled chicken taco were both good, but I liked the taco and the sauce on top of it a little better.
Kim

Food And Wine Festival is now my favorite time to go to the World. I cannot wait to go back next year (hopefully it will be going during the first week of November!)

I absolutely loved: Dan Dan Noodles and the Potstickers (had them 3 times)

Loved: the Chocolate Creme Brulee (had it twice)

I liked almost loved: the Beef Stroganoff, Kielbasa with Pirogies, Beef Stuffed Cabbage, Sicilian Cannoli.

I liked: the Knockwurst with Weinkraut,Chicken and Chorizo Quesadilla, Guiness Stew, Beef Shish Kebab, Cheddard Cheese Soup (boyfriend from TN makes it better...LOL).

I can say I tried it, but will never have it again, even if it is better with a different cook: didn't have any in this catagory.

Had it wouldn't, wouldn't do it again if you paid me: Watermelon juice (all I could taste was the rhine and seeds. Wasn't what I expected at all, I consider that my fault, so I tried it again, knowing what to expect and nope, not for me!) and the Rice Cream with Strawberries. (didn't know what to expect, but didn't like it.)

Well, that's what I tried, and this is just my opinion. I wished I liked shrimp, because My BF ate that mostly and loved everything about it. I just don't like shrimp, and people make it look so good. I tried, trust me I tried to like shrimp. Well, BF doesn't like chocolate (more for me ;) )

Like I said, my opinion, and I hope other people respond...love this thread! Enjoy going! We had a blast!

Chris

I wanted to try the Guiness Stew and some of the other Ireland samplings but everyone else was ready to go and I wasn't ready to argue with them that day. I read somewhere that the recipes were readily available does anyone know if that is true??
Kim

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter