Food Left in Room?

CharmedLife

Wisconsin Badger Fan
Had our first trip home to SSR earlier this month. We checked into our 2BR and found some leftover food from a previous occupant. Nothing in the fridge, but in the cabinet above was some coffee, a few cans of food, a half-empty box of cereal (seriously) and an unopened box of microwave popcorn.

Is this normal? Do DVC'ers leave their unopened food for the next guest because they don't want to waste it (cereal box aside) or should housekeeping have cleaned this out?

Fellow DVC pros, please let me know. We did have some unopened stuff leftover after our week as well (boxes of mac 'n cheese, etc.) and I wasn't sure if I should leave it or trash it (it honestly would not fit in my suitcase home!! Too much time spent at DTD!!! :goodvibes )

The housekeeper missed it. Any leftover food is supposed to be removed by housekeeping.

We left our (unopened) leftover food on the table, neatly, with a note to housekeeping that we couldn't fit in back in our suitcase but didn't want to throw it out. Everything else, we had already thrown away - but either way - housekeeping is supposed to remove it from the unit.

I've always wished we could have a secret hiding place for those unopened popcorns, extra Tide, etc...... maybe it's that cupboard!!! :rolleyes1

We gave our leftover stuff from last week to a CM friend of our DS and DIL. She stopped by on our last night to collect it and said it was like Christmas!

DisFlan

It seemed like such a waste, but I wasn't comfortable eating a stranger's food, opened or not, so I wound up tossing it all. But I did notice in the garbage room that someone left 1/2 case of water and over the course of the week the bottles were slowly disappearing...

It would be nice if there were a "community" shelf in there for leftover (unopened) food that folks could take if they wanted. I just hated wasting my stuff and DH has already said that next time we go we are bringing an extra empty suitcase - we always joke about this but this time he really means it!!

CharmedLife said:
It seemed like such a waste, but I wasn't comfortable eating a stranger's food, opened or not, so I wound up tossing it all. But I did notice in the garbage room that someone left 1/2 case of water and over the course of the week the bottles were slowly disappearing...

It would be nice if there were a "community" shelf in there for leftover (unopened) food that folks could take if they wanted. I just hated wasting my stuff and DH has already said that next time we go we are bringing an extra empty suitcase - we always joke about this but this time he really means it!!

I drove around with a 1/2 case of water on my last day, trying to find someone checking into SSR. All I found were people loading up the car, checking out. Nobody to claim my water. So then I started looking for CM's doing landscaping, housekeeping, etc or guests waiting at the bus stop, but still no luck!!!! Had to head to the airport so gave up (I could have tried harder, I suppose)

I ended up with the National staff getting the water.

I like the idea of a food/water drop off location, but even the garbage room may be an option for the water (don't know about food, though...)

When we checked out of our 2BR at SSR in August we left some things with a note. Hopefully someone was able to use them. All unopened of course. We thought someone might appreciate a nice cold beer!

Our last trip, September '05, I asked mousekeeping what to do with any unopened food and was told they are allowed to keep it. Anything that is opened must be tossed and they are not allowed to keep any type alcohol.

We ended up with 10 unopened Coronas, but our neighbors were coming out of their villa and I was able to pass them on. Would have hated to wasted it all.

We always toss opened stuff and usually try to catch someone just arriving to give unopened food to. If we can't find anyone, we just leave it on the counter for the cleaning staff.

MK definitely missed those items.

We were the recipients of a case of Coca-Cola last December when checking into SSR. A family was packing up to leave as we were arriving at Congress Park and they offered it to us.

Really nice gesture and we did enjoy it. :goodvibes

CharmedLife said:
Had our first trip home to SSR earlier this month. We checked into our 2BR and found some leftover food from a previous occupant. Nothing in the fridge, but in the cabinet above was some coffee, a few cans of food, a half-empty box of cereal (seriously) and an unopened box of microwave popcorn.

Is this normal? Do DVC'ers leave their unopened food for the next guest because they don't want to waste it (cereal box aside) or should housekeeping have cleaned this out?

Fellow DVC pros, please let me know. We did have some unopened stuff leftover after our week as well (boxes of mac 'n cheese, etc.) and I wasn't sure if I should leave it or trash it (it honestly would not fit in my suitcase home!! Too much time spent at DTD!!! :goodvibes )

That's funny --that was almost exactly what was left in our room when we checked in. Did you happen tostay in Congress Park? We were in 1111 the first week of October. We left the food that had been left in the cabinet above the fridge.

DVCJEN said:
That's funny --that was almost exactly what was left in our room when we checked in. Did you happen tostay in Congress Park? We were in 1111 the first week of October. We left the food that had been left in the cabinet above the fridge.

Too funny! We were in 1111 in Congress Park, checked in 10/8. If the food was there when you checked in, who knows how long it's been there!

Since it was our first trip "home" I just wasn't sure what the norm was. I thought maybe we leave unopened stuff in the room (such a friendly place). It was the opened box of cereal that threw me off, hence the posting to try and figure out what we should do next time.

To those of you with leftover beer.... DH and I had quite the morning polishing ours off before checking out. Up here in Wisconsin we just can't bring ourselves to waste it!! :goodvibes

Thanks everyone for the replies - next time I'll know to either leave it out for Mousekeeping or try to find a neighbor or someone checking in to pawn it off to!

CharmedLife said:
Too funny! We were in 1111 in Congress Park, checked in 10/8. If the food was there when you checked in, who knows how long it's been there!

Since it was our first trip "home" I just wasn't sure what the norm was. I thought maybe we leave unopened stuff in the room (such a friendly place). It was the opened box of cereal that threw me off, hence the posting to try and figure out what we should do next time.

To those of you with leftover beer.... DH and I had quite the morning polishing ours off before checking out. Up here in Wisconsin we just can't bring ourselves to waste it!! :goodvibes

Thanks everyone for the replies - next time I'll know to either leave it out for Mousekeeping or try to find a neighbor or someone checking in to pawn it off to!

That is so funny! We checked out on the 8th. I guess houskeeping forgets to clean the cabinets over the fridge! Did they replace the remote control for the Master Bedroom while you were there? We reported it but it never came. (We didn't follow up though cause it was not a big deal to us) Also-- was that a huge kool-aid or marker stain in the foyer? It was bright red!

We're heading home to BWV on saturday and hope someone leaves a cinamon yummie, a chocolate croissant, and cookies in our room every morning. :banana:

My family probably thinks this is the case considering I return with the goods before anyone wakes up.

We will be at the BWV in February. I'd like to suggest that you leave as much of the following around the resort for me as possible:

GuinnessGlass.jpg

HBC

DVCJEN said:
That is so funny! We checked out on the 8th. I guess houskeeping forgets to clean the cabinets over the fridge! Did they replace the remote control for the Master Bedroom while you were there? We reported it but it never came. (We didn't follow up though cause it was not a big deal to us) Also-- was that a huge kool-aid or marker stain in the foyer? It was bright red!

Actually DH found the remote within a few minutes of being there (he has a 6th sense for those things). They were both in the living room. As for the stain... well, I prefer not to think about those kinds of things - ignorance is bliss when on vacation!!

If we have unused, still sealed cans, etc we simply ask our neighbors would they like it. We usually find someone that wants it, especially popcorn, soda, etc.

DVCJEN said:

Did you not contact housekeeping to get it cleaned? The carpet that is?

CharmedLife said:
Actually DH found the remote within a few minutes of being there (he has a 6th sense for those things). They were both in the living room. As for the stain... well, I prefer not to think about those kinds of things - ignorance is bliss when on vacation!!

Did you let housekeeping know about the stain so they could clean it?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter