Food processor recommendations

Maddie2

DIS Veteran
Earlier today, I was reading on here about someone saving $ by using their food processor to shred cheese and there are tons of recipes out there using food processors to make various nutritious dishes. We do not currently have one, but I am thinking about getting one. Is there such a thing as a decent food processor for around $100 (or less)? Not just the small chopper style, but something sizeable with a decent motor. Or, is it like most things, you get what you pay for and if you want something that will last more than a few months, you need to spend substantially more?

Would love to learn of your experiences with various models - and your favorite uses for your food processor!

DH and I finally purchased a Cuisinart ProCustom 11. It was around $130.00 (on sale) from Macy's. I do a lot of cooking and baking, and I had survived nearly 25 years of marriage without one, but he wanted it. He'd been watching a LOT of Chef John from FoodWishes.com! I have to admit that I love it! We've shredded some cheese with it, but I use it for pie crusts (I always bought Pillsbury). I had small choppers and hand choppers for fruits and vegetables, and I sometimes still use them depending on the recipe (I have more control with a hand chopper). I also use one of the attachments to slice potatoes for scalloped potatoes.

I love my Cuisinart. Mine is an 8 cup and it does everything. I do have a little one for things that don't require much.

My dh bought me a KitchenAid top-of-the-line processor several years ago. I love having a food processor--this is my first experience using one--but there are a few things I DON'T like about mine. I'm not sure whether there is any way to get around these issues, but here is what I don't like:
1. There is a post that comes up through the middle of the bowl. This is what the blade slides onto. When I'm done processing something, I have to take the bowl off the processor, which means off the post and that leaves a hole in the middle of the bowl that things can easily fall through.
2. My processor does not dice. I don't know if any of them do, but mine does not even though it says it does. If you put things like celery, carrots, onions into it, it will sort of slice them all up but you will not get all little pieces; you may end up with long slices. This is ok for soup but not for many other recipes.
3. It is very difficult to use the feed on mine for slicing/shredding unless you have items that completely fill the feed tube. For instance, if you want to slice carrots, you are supposed to put them vertically into the feed tube. There is nothing to hold them in place unless they completely take up the feed tube area so when you start the processor, they tend to slip around and turn sideways. With cheese, there is almost always some that clogs in the rim of the lid and I have to pick it out. Not a big deal, but a bit annoying.
4. The bowl goes onto the machine with the handle to the left of the center lock. You turn it counter-clockwise to lock it. If you forget and put it on from the right and turn it clockwise, you may never get it off without breaking it. This has happened in my house and we did manage to get it unstuck but it took a lot of work. It isn't marked on the machine which way it goes. Along the same lines, if you have finished processing, you MUST remove the bowl in one direction only; if you do it the other way, it can get very stuck.

I have a Kitchen Aid food processor as well. While it is nice and fancy / schmancy, I do second the issues as discussed by the the pp. Also, it is also not easy to clean - too many parts ... What I do use a lot is my little Hamilton Beach 2 cup chopper. Less space to store, less to clean, easier to use.

Thank you for your views! Looks like I need to look into the Cuisinart food processors - and skip the Kitchenaid - which is kind of surprising!

I also have the Kitchenaid others are referring to. I love to cook from scratch but mine is barely used. A couple times in summer to make salsa and that’s about it.

I find the hassle of using it to shred cheese isn’t worth it. I just shed by hand.

I got a Cuisinart of some sort this year. I have to admit--I barely use it. I have a blender, a Kitchenaid mixer, an immersion blender, and a chef's knife that all seem much simpler to get out and less trouble to clean if I need to chop or mix something. I grate cheese as I go on either a microplane (parmesan) or a box grater (most other cheeses). Whenever I make something that has a lot of fine chopping--a huge pot of gumbo, for example-- I contemplate the food processor, but end up using a knife and cutting board. It may take a little longer, but it just seems like less fuss.

The food processor sits next to my mandoline, which I also rarely use.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter