FOP at Rope Drop

Big Ogie

Earning My Ears
Apologize in advance if this is a dumb question or doesn't make sense. But, for those who have done FOP without a FP at Rope Drop, how long of a wait do you typically have? I'm assuming many/most of the people there at Rope Drop are doing the same thing, so it may come down to how quickly you are able to get there versus everybody else. Or, are so many people using FP's at the beginning of the day, that to try to do it without a FP first thing is still a wait, say over 30 minutes? Would love to hear your perspectives if you've ridden it first thing without a FP. Thanks!

During March/Spring Break time. If the park opened at 9am, would likely get there around 8:30.

Apologize in advance if this is a dumb question or doesn't make sense. But, for those who have done FOP without a FP at Rope Drop, how long of a wait do you typically have?
We were at gate at 6:45 am for extra nagic hour. When we got to the back (at a very fast walk) the wait was already 2 hours and we only saw it go up from there. We had a FP for 4:30 pm with little wait.?except I didnt get to ride because of my size. I am a bit big but was my fat calces that got me. VERY disappointing, first Disney ride that I havent been able to go on. Saw 9 other people turned away while I was waiting to try the sample ride.

Was that for an EMH starting at 7 or 8am? What a shame that you couldn't ride it in the end

IMG_0461.JPG There is a razor thin margin for FOP rope drop between walking off the ride happy by 915am or being stuck in a 2+ hour line. Getting to the park at 830am will likely put you in the latter.

We did it the week before Christmas without a Fastpass, following some advice we'd read for a typical 9am opening, with a moderate crowd level. Arriving at the park's front at 8am, the lines were already stacked from the turnstiles almost to the ticket sale booths. At 820, when the lines were well past the ticket booths, they started scanning magicbands/tickets and letting people enter the park. With a six year old, we walked at a moderate pace, but people were running and dashing.

No lie: we saw a 30-something woman racing an 80-something woman in a wheelchair past us. The elderly lady was clearly hanging on for dear life. Most people were respectful, tho. Actually saw more rude people trying to buck into the parade lines at MVMCP.

Anyhow, they immediately queued everyone up on the bridge leading into Pandora by Tiffins, which took about five minutes to walk to. At this point, we were not quite on the bridge, with a sea of people arriving behind us over the next 20 minutes (see the photo!). We stayed to the right side of the bridge, per the directions we'd read before.

At 845-ish, the let everyone across the bridge. We stayed to the right and were naturally herded into a line that already extended well past the FOP Fastpass/Standby clocks. The line moved steadily, and by 915 we had finished the ride and exited the gift shop. At this point, the line for FOP was already across the Pandora bridge, almost at Tiffins, with a near 3-hr wait. If we had shown up at the park at 830, or even 815, we'd be stuck somewhere in that mass of people.

Logistically, our bus left Wilderness Lodge at 730, stopped at Contemporary, and we were in line at Animal Kingdom's gate a few minutes before 8am. Definitely allow extra time to get to the park no later than 8am, or you'll miss that narrow window to avoid the long line.

And, for heaven's sake, be patient. It's just a ride (albeit freakin' awesome)!

Apologize in advance if this is a dumb question or doesn't make sense. But, for those who have done FOP without a FP at Rope Drop, how long of a wait do you typically have? I'm assuming many/most of the people there at Rope Drop are doing the same thing, so it may come down to how quickly you are able to get there versus everybody else. Or, are so many people using FP's at the beginning of the day, that to try to do it without a FP first thing is still a wait, say over 30 minutes? Would love to hear your perspectives if you've ridden it first thing without a FP. Thanks!
The queue was designed for people to wait more than 2-hours.

And, as you point out, since so many people arrive at Rope Drop and/or with a FP+, wait times of 2-hours will happen pretty quickly.

If your objective is to wait for less than 30-minutes, this is not necessarily accomplished if you arrive at Rope Drop if you find yourself at the back of the crowd. 30-minutes or less are only going to 'guaranteed' with a FP+.

FWIW, we just returned and folks seemed OK waiting for 3-or-more hours for another chance to enjoy the attraction.

Thanks everybody for the advice - it is very helpful.

Just trying to figure the best way for my family of four to hit the rides that we like. All four of us will want to do Na’vi, and two of us also really want to do FOP, while the other two have no interest. So was thinking of FP for the four of us for Na’vi, and trying Rope drop for FOP, which sounds like may be a bit of a challenge.

Or do you guys think I should just try to FP FOP, and try to get a FP later in the day for Na’vi? Not sure if that has a reasonable shot or not. Unfortunately, we’ll only be at AK one day. Thanks again.

Rope drop can be the busiest time of the day for this attraction. I checked several days recently and the wait times were up to 210 within 10 minutes of park opening. The waits were down to 30 within 10 minutes of park closing on the same day.

Just keep in mind that posted wait times are intentionally exaggerated at night to discourage late riders.

Fastpass strategy has a lot to do with what you actually can get. We couldn't get a FOP Fastpass even tho we were at our computers by 7am 60 days out from our trip looking for one, but we did get a 920am NRJ, which drove our planning. So, we walked off FOP and hit NRJ with our Fastpass.

If you can't get a Fastpass for either, definitely rope drop FOP. It really is amazing.

Just my family's opinion: NRJ lacked any story or context. It looked nice enough, but was a bit dull. I think we'd put it behind every other boat ride at WDW (Living w/the Land is more interesting) and definitely not spend time in standby for two hours...

We arrived at 6:30 am on Dec 30 and we were off the ride at 7:55 am. It was an 8am opening. We had an 8am FP for Na’vi so it worked out. My whole party wanted to ride FOP again because it was so awesome but we had no luck getting any FP. I split up our party and tried to modify all day but FOP never came up. Na’vi was a snoozer and I would not wait in a line for it

This might be a stupid question, but is there any advantage to the Annual Passholders line? Like, do you have to show up an hour early for opening still to have a good shot at a FOP wait under an hour if you can go through the AP line?

Noticed some evening wait times at 60 or 90. IMO I‘d rather do that and enjoy the surroundings abd interactive cue. Than get my self up at the crack of dawn to wait in anxiety outside by the turnstiles for 1.5 hrs. In the end, rope drop is still an hour wait time min plus the stress of fighting to get in and up front with hundreds of others.

This might be a stupid question, but is there any advantage to the Annual Passholders line? Like, do you have to show up an hour early for opening still to have a good shot at a FOP wait under an hour if you can go through the AP line?

I've been watching these threads since the beginning, and I've seen nothing on the AP line. My guess is you have no advantage at all.

Thanks everybody for the advice - it is very helpful.

Just trying to figure the best way for my family of four to hit the rides that we like. All four of us will want to do Na’vi, and two of us also really want to do FOP, while the other two have no interest. So was thinking of FP for the four of us for Na’vi, and trying Rope drop for FOP, which sounds like may be a bit of a challenge.

Or do you guys think I should just try to FP FOP, and try to get a FP later in the day for Na’vi? Not sure if that has a reasonable shot or not. Unfortunately, we’ll only be at AK one day. Thanks again.

Just my .02

If this was my scenario I would try to get FOP for all 4 guests in your party and that way you have the opportunity to ride twice by using the MBs of your non-riders. That would make NRJ my rope drop attraction.

OR

I’d hop in line for FOP 20/30 minutes before Park close.

I think CL is a huge factor in determining your strategy. Our morning wait was happily done and I’m so happy we were able to ride. It was a CL 10 on my day and we actually did hop in line at 9:55pm but it was still going to be 1.5 hours wait.

We went at the end of August on a relatively low crowd level day. We arrived an hour before park opening and walked on when the park opened. It was extremely crowded- lots of people pushing to get through to be nearer to the front. It was not a pleasant experience at all. That being said, if I couldn't get a FP for our next trip, I would absolutely do that again.

In September non EMH day 9 am open day, we arrived at 7am and were first in line at the turnstile. At 8 they let us through the turnstile for the fast walk to the Pandora bridge. Walking fast but being polite and not pushy, we were about 20 people deep. Pandora was opened at 8:30 and we walked right on the ride. Came off ride and it was already a 3 hour wait. Walked right on Navi with no FP. Totally worth it.

Then we got in line about 8:30 pm with a 9pm close and no FP and waited about 30 min (list time said 90 min). Great day!

We were at turnstyles by 8:30 during Jersey week and line was already at least 2 hours. Had a FP for later so gave up and just did Navi twice.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter