FOP - Best time when can't rope drop because off-site Stay

Corbie

Mouseketeer
We decided to save some money and stay off site since DH's frequent traveler perks allow us to stay essentially for free. We had our 60 day FP+ when we made this change and, naturally, lost them when we cancelled our rooms at POR.

I have yet to find a time open for 7DMT at MK. We're hoping to ride it during the Halloween party. The worst is that we lost FOP. Since we can no longer take advantage of EMH, is it still feasible to RD FOP at regular open time (even though Guests will have an hour on us) or should we take our chances and try to ride near closing during RoL?

(I check back 2x a day in hopes I can find a FP time, but so far no luck!)

Here's what I found the last time I checked Touring Plans:

At 9:30 am, the posted wait was 210 minutes with an actual wait of 240.

At 9:30 pm, the posted wait was 60 minutes with an actual wait of 30.

It may be a more efficient use of your time to wait until later. Just keep in mind that the posted wait times are intentionally exaggerated at night to discourage late riders.

We decided to save some money and stay off site since DH's frequent traveler perks allow us to stay essentially for free. We had our 60 day FP+ when we made this change and, naturally, lost them when we cancelled our rooms at POR.
If you ever find yourself in this situation again, wait until you're less than 30 days out to cancel your reservation.

It may be a more efficient use of your time to wait until later. Just keep in mind that the posted wait times are intentionally exaggerated at night to discourage late riders.
Thanks. I'd thought it probably best to try at night, and you supported my idea!

If you ever find yourself in this situation again, wait until you're less than 30 days out to cancel your reservation.
They charge you a $200 cancellation fee per package if you cancel 30 days or less out from your arrival date. I'd rather lose the Fast passes, annoying as that was.

I did this a couple weeks ago. Rope drop was still a couple hours, though app said 60 minutes(family did this). Later on after dark it said 70, family said I had to go so we went and it was closer to 50 minutes.

I have yet to find a time open for 7DMT at MK. We're hoping to ride it during the Halloween party. The worst is that we lost FOP. Since we can no longer take advantage of EMH, is it still feasible to RD FOP at regular open time (even though Guests will have an hour on us) or should we take our chances and try to ride near closing during RoL?

Why not change your AK day to a non-EMH day and rope drop with everyone else? OHHH...are you going one of those weeks when AK has early EMH every day?

(I check back 2x a day in hopes I can find a FP time, but so far no luck!)

Why not choose a non-EMH day?

They charge you a $200 cancellation fee per package if you cancel 30 days or less out from your arrival date. I'd rather lose the Fast passes, annoying as that was.

Room only reservations have until 5 days out to cancel and still get deposit back. You could have changed to a room only, cancelled after 30 days, and kept your FP.

We stay offsite every time. Best advise I can recommend at this point is to check MDE more than 2x/day. If you can check 2x every 10 minutes, do it. It's a pain, but it'll very, very likely work for 7DMT and might work for FoP.

Definitely use stand-by in the afternoon/evening in this situation. The line will be horrific in the morning and you could use that time much more efficiently at other attractions that haven't built up a significant line yet.

Reports even at rope drop, unless you are at the very front of the mob, are for a very long wait at FOP.

If you can't go on a non emh day then you'd be best off waiting until late at night. The standby line will be brutal by the time you got there with emh being prior

We've had very good luck finding short lines on the headliners late at night on morning EMH days.

The crowds that arrived early are done and/or tired and are long gone before dark.

I'm guessing their tickets were part of their package and those would be gone and the fastpasses gone with them when they changed to room only.

What does that have to do with now choosing to go to AK on a non-EMH day? Whatever tickets they have are good for any day.

What does that have to do with now choosing to go to AK on a non-EMH day? Whatever tickets they have are good for any day.

That was my fault -- I edited my post to separate two points, and it must have been after mom2rtk responded. She was responding to the point that the OP could have changed to a room-only reservation and cancelled at less than 30 days (which I ended up putting in a second post).

And she still could have done that, but would have had to purchase and link tickets before changing to a room only. With valid tickets linked, she would not have lost her FP.

Room only reservations have until 5 days out to cancel and still get deposit back. You could have changed to a room only, cancelled after 30 days, and kept your FP.

This is our first trip. I had no idea I could switch to room only. Live and learn.

The cast member I spoke to told me to telephone and talk to the Internet people (can't remember the name of the department) and ask them to link our tickets and we wouldn't lose our fast passes. However, when I did that, I was told they only did that for people who rescheduled because of the hurricane. It would have been nice had they recommended another work-around, but they didn't. I was much more concerned with paying $200 than losing fast passes. It's not like I can go back now and get them, so though the information is useful for others, not so much for me. :)

Thank you everyone for your suggestions on the best way to ride FOP without one.

This is our first trip. I had no idea I could switch to room only. Live and learn.

The cast member I spoke to told me to telephone and talk to the Internet people (can't remember the name of the department) and ask them to link our tickets and we wouldn't lose our fast passes. However, when I did that, I was told they only did that for people who rescheduled because of the hurricane. It would have been nice had they recommended another work-around, but they didn't. I was much more concerned with paying $200 than losing fast passes. It's not like I can go back now and get them, so though the information is useful for others, not so much for me. :)

Thank you everyone for your suggestions on the best way to ride FOP without one.
Another piece of advice for the future: never trust anything you hear from a phone CM

About a month ago, we got in line for FoP at 8:25 pm. Posted wait time was 85 minutes. We were on the the ride in 20-25 minutes.

About 10 days ago I got in line at 9:15pm with the park closing at 9:30pm.Posted wait time 140 minutes,got on in 56 minutes,the whole Disney CM posting high wait times to discourage people riding it can be very real.

I will say I have ridden it on other occasions near park closing times with similar 130-150 minute wait times and on those occasions the wait time was much closer to the posted wait times,always less like 110-130 minutes but closer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter