For People Booked On Disney Dream August 2024 From Southampton

Status
Not open for further replies.
I admit being from the US our mods may not know what is and isnt a derogatory term elsewhere.... when you see these please report the posts and which word is questionable and we will look into them! :(
I believe it was escaping from the chavtastic masses! Being called a chav is a derogatory term for someone with few manners and largely uneducated!

I believe it was escaping from the chavtastic masses! Being called a chav is a derogatory term for someone with few manners and largely uneducated!
Thanks for letting me know... I did a search and found it. I replied asking them not to use that word going forward... please let us know if you see it again.

I admit being from the US our mods may not know what is and isnt a derogatory term elsewhere.... when you see these please report the posts and which word is questionable and we will look into them! :(
Its ok, its just a derogatory term that is more classist than racist, but the op’s posts vociferously go after ‘brits’ and absolutely sneer at them making us sound like a nation of troglodytes and that was what i took issue with, as xenophobic. Everyone’s norms are different.
When analysing the original post there are many points that need considerable further clarification.
So just a few examples.
Somehow the OP could ascertain that 90% of the passengers were British. With the number of passengers that the Dream can carry I wonder how that can be confirmed specifically.
Not only that but the OP somehow knows about the demographic of sailings that she hasn’t even been on, and further even knows that there were a high percentage of first time cruisers or only those who had been on the staycations?! That’s impressive!
Seven negative points about the nationality were made from various online sources and a vlog so not even first hand experience.
Additionally counting 90% of passengers not disembarking on ports must have taken forever! Of course there is an assumption here that it’s because the Brits just love going on their cheap holidays to Spain or presumably living it up on their cheap P&O cruises catering especially for them! Is this yet more negative bias or hard facts?
Why would anyone wait to watch a two hour chaotic line to meet Stitch? And if you don’t wait there yourself how do you know that it was two hours of chaos without relying on hearsay!
One thing I do know is that of the many cruises I’ve been on myself I’m far too busy enjoying myself rather than trying to target an entire nation based upon some incidents that I’ve witnessed personally combined with online negativity!
Absolutely agree! I travel all around the world, but hey i enjoy a week in Spain too, doesnt make me a bad person, Spain’s an incredible country with amazing food and people, im lucky to be able to go there for a week cheap. It must be really sad to have to sit and count people on and off the ship to see whats happening instead of enjoying their vacation.

Yes, agreed, but its also used as a classist comment to sneer at people from a lower economic standing. Imagine someone posting ‘all the americans on the ship were white trailer trash’, thats the equivalent. Every cruise ship has its issues, believe it or not crime is actually quite a regular occurrence, just so happens companies do a good job of dealing with it.

I do feel that it’s a shame that this post is putting people off the choices that they have made for next year, and worried them about what to expect.
All I’d like to add is that you don’t have to lower your expectations just go with an open mind and don’t try to find evidence to fit your pre existing opinion!

Stuff it, I’m booked on the 4 night Spain cruise next year and I’m not going to let this thread put me off

I’m doing Disney world for 14 nights and then 4 night on the fantasy in November 2024 so this was just a wee extra as I’m close by

its 4 nights or cancel, more nights is not in the budget

4 night Spain cruise here I come 😃😃😃

Stuff it, I’m booked on the 4 night Spain cruise next year and I’m not going to let this thread put me off

I’m doing Disney world for 14 nights and then 4 night on the fantasy in November 2024 so this was just a wee extra as I’m close by

Have a wonderful time! See the good, and ignore the negative if indeed there is any around you.

Good for you! I think the thread was just meant to manage expectations. Lines for character meets may be very long...so don't 'plan' on doing meets...but be pleasantly surprised if you see a short line! There are still shows to see and plenty of quiet spots on the ship, you just have to find them. And if you're planning to explore port, maybe the lines will be short to get off/on the ship! For theater shows, we find the balcony less stressful, no people trying to get to the front of the theater and trying to save seats.

Good for you! I think the thread was just meant to manage expectations. Lines for character meets may be very long...so don't 'plan' on doing meets...but be pleasantly surprised if you see a short line! There are still shows to see and plenty of quiet spots on the ship, you just have to find them. And if you're planning to explore port, maybe the lines will be short to get off/on the ship! For theater shows, we find the balcony less stressful, no people trying to get to the front of the theater and trying to save seats.
If the thread had been just a general managing of expectations then that would have been far more helpful and had it even highlighted cultural differences with less confrontational language that would also at least be making a point in a far more balanced way.

When analysing the original post there are many points that need considerable further clarification.
So just a few examples.
Somehow the OP could ascertain that 90% of the passengers were British. That’s 3600 people to somehow meet and talk to. With the number of passengers that the Dream can carry I wonder how that can be confirmed specifically.
Not only that but the OP somehow knows about the demographic of sailings that she hasn’t even been on, and further even knows that there were a high percentage of those 3600 prior cruisers who were first time cruisers or only those who had been on the staycations?! That’s impressive!
Seven negative points about the nationality were made from various online sources and a vlog so not even first hand experience. I particularly like the anonymous woman being told by an anonymous room host about an anonymous female passenger and her anonymous children all stealing with wanton abandon from peoples rooms! That must have been quite the incident at guest services for them checking all the cctv footage!
Additionally counting 90% of passengers not disembarking on ports must have taken forever! Of course there is an assumption here that it’s because the Brits just love going on their cheap holidays to Spain or presumably living it up on their cheap P&O cruises catering especially for them! Is this yet more negative bias or hard facts?
Why would anyone wait to watch a two hour chaotic line to meet Stitch? And if you don’t wait there yourself how do you know that it was two hours of chaos without relying on hearsay! Additionally the opinion presented as fact re people wanting refunds at guest services for a sub par firework display compared to the parks was not witnessed first hand at the time, but once home?!?!
One thing I do know is that of the many cruises I’ve been on myself I’m far too busy enjoying myself rather than trying to target an entire nation based upon some incidents that I’ve witnessed personally combined with online negativity!
Sometimes during the sailaway party or in the Walt Disney theatre, they will ask the crowd where they are from. You can get a feel for the demographics. When I've cruised out of Texas it's been predominately Texans and in California it's predominately west coasters, New York mostly New yorkers\New Jersey. Florida is always a mixed bag from everywhere. In Op's defense, she was probably just making a random guess that may or may not have been exaggerated.

Sometimes during the sailaway party or in the Walt Disney theatre, they will ask the crowd where they are from. You can get a feel for the demographics. When I've cruised out of Texas it's been predominately Texans and in California it's predominately west coasters, New York mostly New yorkers\New Jersey. Florida is always a mixed bag from everywhere. In Op's defense, she was probably just making a random guess that may or may not have been exaggerated.
I’m sure that she was, and if it had remained mere supposition about the specific demographic on that cruise it would have been fine, but it didn’t!.

Interestingly there is a UK based disney fan forum page which has a member with the exact user name as OP saying unpleasant things about the American passengers on her previous Norwegian fjords cruise

Interestingly there is a UK based disney fan forum page which has a member with the exact user name as OP saying unpleasant things about the American passengers on her previous Norwegian fjords cruise
No need for the code, its me and I also posted my trip report here on the Dis in the trip reports section https://www.disboards.com/threads/s...eptember-2022-updated-final-thoughts.3926775/

Also Im not from The UK, I'm from The Republic of Ireland, which is not part of The UK :)

Are you talking about the part where she says when she thinks of Americans she thinks of people that are too fat to walk so they get off the ship and just stand there for 10 minutes and say they’ve been to Norway or was it one of her other disparaging remarks.

We were going to do the Norway cruise next year, but between some of these reports, the Olympics in Paris (which might impact flight costs/crowds in London) and other summer opportunities for our kid, we've decided to do something else next summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter