for sweet Beanie: AKL impressions

Wilma Flintstone

<font color=CC66CC>I'm the hip and interesting wif
Thanks Beanie for answering me about your upcoming Grand Californian trip. I already have three pins from that hotel, and I've never set foot in California!
My DH and I went resort-hopping last July and visited the AKL one sultry afternoon. I loved the feeling of the lobby and its special touches, but was unsure if I would want to stay at a resort that seemed so out-of-the-way. The resort gift shop proved to be a big hit with me as well. Unfortunately, I did not eat at any of the restaurants (or even have a drink at the bar). To make up for that lack in judgment, we ate lunch at WL's Whispering Canyon Cafe, and I ordered the large drink (so I could bring the long-necked plastic glass home)!
Please give me your impressions of the AKL guest room, where your room was located and/or a recommendation for a good room site.
Did you eat at Jiko and Boma as well? What were your thoughts?
My friend and her DH ate at Jiko in June (deluge-city weather-wise) and her hubby did not care for the food. I must say that they are country-folk from Vermont and are not used to unusual cuisine.
Thanks for your insights. All the best, Wilma
:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Hi Wilma!! :wave:

Impression of AKL...that is an easy question...without a doubt, the most beautiful resort I have stayed in! :)

We were on the Kudu Trail, Room 2223, Arusha Savannah...So if you are walking into the lobby, you would go all the way across to the big window, take the steps down on the left hand side and walk that way a few doors down...it was easy to get to the Lobby from our room! When we walked in, we immediately went on the balcony and saw giraffes, zebra, gazelle and Wildebeast...The kids loved that! I thought the bathroom was nice, for some reason I thought it was bigger than the one we had at WL, but DH said it was the same...Overall, I loved the room, we had a Queen bed with bunk beds and it was wonderful! Our housekeeper gave us Animal towels everyday and the CM's that we encountered were so friendly!

We did eat at Boma's one night while there and the food was excellent!! Lots to choose from and they had 4 different entrees for the kids alone! Three different kinds of soups, pastas, salads, prime rib and potatoes that were out of this world! I had the Coconut Seafood Soup and it was so delicious!! We did not leave there hungry! Even the kids were stuffed!!

The kids loved the pool the best though! The Zero Depth entry was so great for them!!

Check out some of my pictures of AKL!! We had an excellent time and I can't wait to go back!!! :)

AKL Pictures Part 1

AKL Pictures Part 2

:):) Hope that helps some! :):)

Oh my good Lord...it's not enough to have your room number, description of animals spotted from said room and wonderful pictures of the resort, but you really got me with the food! My mouth is watering with thoughts of eating Boma's Coconut Seafood Soup and chasing it down with a Lolipopo! Thank you so much for writing and sharing your experiences with me. I think this will be my next resort :bounce: to stay at.
all the best, Wilma :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

Glad you enjoyed it!! :) I cannot recommend AKL enough...In my opinion, it was the best Disney Resort we have stayed at!! :) You will definitely love it!! :)

Have fun! :)

My daughter (15yo), mother and I stayed at AKL in July of this year. I have stayed, in the past, at the Dolphin, Contempory and the All Star Movie. There is no better resort in the land, in my opinion. We ate at Boma and Jiko and like both for different reasons. We were on the Ostrich trail in a bunkbed room, and although people say they don't like this area, we saw everything but zebras from our balcony! Would love to go back but living in California the air fares have to be right to make the trip.

Thanks for your input on the AKL. I have a DH who drags his feet re: Disney trips so this is really a dream of mine. He is not against staying in more than 1 resort at a time so I'll give him that! In '97 we stayed 3 nights in Wilderness Lodge and then packed up our car (we drove from NY) and headed over to the Yacht Club for 7 more nights. It was our best trip ever.
But now that I'm approaching the big 5-oh, peace and solitude appeal to me more and more. I did visit the AKL resort last year (July) on a hot, sweltering day and was refreshed physically and emotionally by that exquisite lobby.
Since you are from California, have you stayed at any of the Disneyland hotels? Any input on the new Grand Californian would be appreciated. Thank you,
Wilma:Pinkbounc :bounce: :bounce::Pinkbounc

Have only stayed at the Disneyland Hotel because I have a lot of family in Southern California. We had a great time. We are actually staying at the Ramada Inn Suites when we go this October (about a block away) because I got a really great rate (60.00 per night).........

Thanks so much for the positive input on AKL! We have visited it twice, both for dinner at Boma, and found the lobby, gift shop, viewing areas to be incredible!

We will arrive on 11/30 for our first stay at AKL, and have a PS for our first night at Jiko! I have been looking forward to this trip, but now I am even more excited!!!!!

:earsgirl: Krissy

Krissalee, you will be there for Dis Con! I really do hope you love staying at the AKL! It is such a wonderful resort...do you have a Savannah view or standard?

By the way, I just love your user name!! :)

Wow!!! Those are some of the best pictures I have ever seen of the AKL. Thank you so much for posting them.We will be there for 7 nights starting Sept 15th.I can't wait!! April :Pinkbounc

Beanie - We have a savannah view booked at AKL. We will only be there for the first 2 nights of our trip, and then we are moving to the YC for the next 5 nights! I am really excited!

I signed up to go to the informal Dis Con meet at MVMCP on 12/3 - hope to meet lots of other DISers!

:earsgirl: Krissy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter