For the knowledgable gun people

DH & I have concealed carry permits, but, just because we have the permits, doesn't mean we can transport our handguns through all 50 states.

Like others have said, you really need to research the state laws, & some states have reciprocity laws. When we go on a road trip, DH always researches the state & local laws are.

Additionally, in some states, it's perfectly legal to carry a gun in your vehicle even if you don't have a concealed carry permit because some states see your vehicle as an extension of your "castle" - the "castle domain" laws. Our state is one of the states.

A little off-topic, when DH & I took our concealed carry class, our instructor claimed that if you're driving w/ either Texas or Tennessee plates, officers just automatically assume there's a gun in the vehicle. I'm not sure if that's true, or, if it's true, why it's true.

It really depends on the state. I know in mine the requirement for handguns is that they be unloaded in the trunk (and this includes the back of a station wagon or SUV) or unloaded in a locked container. Long guns have a different requirement.

https://oag.ca.gov/firearms/travel

There are also weapons that are as a matter of law illegal to own in California. They may still be transported unloaded passing through the state. I remember there were a few athletes who moved to California and got in trouble for bringing them in where they lived.

you absolutely need to check with each state. Here you would need a non-resident permit to carry, don't have it, you can be arrested.

A little off-topic, when DH & I took our concealed carry class, our instructor claimed that if you're driving w/ either Texas or Tennessee plates, officers just automatically assume there's a gun in the vehicle. I'm not sure if that's true, or, if it's true, why it's true.

Not true

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter