For the ones with dizziness and motion sickness!

;-)

Island tiki
I have my own “no ride” list...a few include star tours, mission space, primeval whirl, mad tea party! I’m particularly curious about alien swirling saucers...I don’t want to waste a fastpass on it if it’s going to make me sick. Almost vomited after getting off FOP....never again! I’m not sure if anyone has any info on alien swirling saucers yet...but I’m guessing from the name it’s going to be spinning?!

I have my own “no ride” list...a few include star tours, mission space, primeval whirl, mad tea party! I’m particularly curious about alien swirling saucers...I don’t want to waste a fastpass on it if it’s going to make me sick. Almost vomited after getting off FOP....never again! I’m not sure if anyone has any info on alien swirling saucers yet...but I’m guessing from the name it’s going to be spinning?!

Alien Swirling Saucers is basically the same as Mater's Junkyard Jamboree at California Adventure. It spins on a large circle, but the vehicles also spin in their own circle. It's a little like the tea cups, but you can't control the spin (Mad Tea Party has three spinning axes - the entire ride platform, the smaller inset circles, and the cup itself which can go as fast or as slow as you deem to spin it). The ride is intended for the younger set, so it's not going to go that fast. You can see a video of Mater's to get a good idea of what to expect from it.

As stated by the previous person stated this should be just like Mater’s At Disneyland. You can look it up on youtube. I get motion sick on all the rides you mentioned and usually don’t ride them anymore. Did Flights of Passage in December and was pretty sick. I even got a bit dizzy on Peter Pan a couple times.I have ridden Mater’s Junkyard Jamborre twice. One time I got slightly dizzy. The other I was not sick at all. It is more fun than it appears.

Reactions: ;-)
I get motion sickness on all, but FOP, I haven't even wanted to try Mission Space cause it is just not worth it to me. Mater's in DCA doesn't do anything for me. I think probably because it throws you from side to side more than actual spinning. I'm hesitant to do Alien's since I am still unsure what to expect.

Thanks everyone, I YouTubed the mater ride and it looks more like you get thrown from side to side, (not horribly bad) I’m sure my 8 year old will want to try Alien’s so I’ll suck it up and try it..lol!

Like other's said, the Mater ride did not bother me at all when we were in Disneyland last summer. I've got FP+ for FOP next month and I'm a little nervous since I do get a little dizzy on Star Tours and I cannot do teacups at all.

Like other's said, the Mater ride did not bother me at all when we were in Disneyland last summer. I've got FP+ for FOP next month and I'm a little nervous since I do get a little dizzy on Star Tours and I cannot do teacups at all.

I was nervous about FOP for this reason, too. I have no trouble with any of the coasters, but Star Tours and Mission Space both make me at least "uneasy" if not actually nauseated when I get off (though it passes after awhile, and I still do both of them anyway). I took a non-drowsy Dramamine a couple of hours before FOP. I was still a little queasy, but I found it helped to focus on the Navi guide rather than trying to look at the whole screen. This was in the evening, around 6 PM. We went to Nomad Lounge afterward, and I felt better after eating some bread.

I rode it a second time a few days later during my trip around 10:30 AM. I took a Dramamine again that morning and had no nausea at all. It's hard to say how it will affect any certain person, but I think for me it's better earlier in the day. Either way, I wouldn't skip it unless it truly took me out of commission for a long time. My husband and I both loved it and thought it was an amazing attraction, and we were so glad to have gotten FP+ to ride it twice during our trip.

I took dramamine .I rode Everest followed by FOP. I thought I was going to be sick on FOP. The only thing that helped was the wind blowing on me.I had to lay down on the sidewalk for a bout a half hour before I could stand. Then, I had to have my husband hang onto me.

I took dramamine .I rode Everest followed by FOP. I thought I was going to be sick on FOP. The only thing that helped was the wind blowing on me.I had to lay down on the sidewalk for a bout a half hour before I could stand. Then, I had to have my husband hang onto me.
After FOP I had to hold back vomiting because there are no restrooms in sight after exiting the ride. I made it to the food court in Pandora. While my mom and brother scattered to get me food and soda I sat at the table with my head down between my hands trying to get it together. It’s like I had the worst hangover ever. I heard the lady at the table next to me getting drink/napkins/utensils for her family...I begged her to bring me back ice, I chewed it and put it behind my neck. After sitting for 45 mins I had to drag myself on that looooong walk to the bus back to the resort. NOPE! Never again, thanks!!

I rode FOP today and it was an absolute blast! It is so much better than Soarin' . I felt more in control than when I ride Soarin" . Oh & I cried a little when it went to the ocean scene with the whale. It sunk in to me just how amazing the ride truly was. I had read that some older people cried after riding it. I now see why.
I can't wait to ride it again in 2 days!!!! I did not feel sick at all & I didn't bother with a Dramamine.:cool1:

fine on all except fop! i was surprised by that and never was sick on rides ever before. it made me very dizzy and off balance and my ear wasn't normal for awhile after that inside it was swirly clogged etc. i won't ride it again.

I rode FOP today and it was an absolute blast! It is so much better than Soarin' . I felt more in control than when I ride Soarin" . Oh & I cried a little when it went to the ocean scene with the whale. It sunk in to me just how amazing the ride truly was. I had read that some older people cried after riding it. I now see why.
I can't wait to ride it again in 2 days!!!! I did not feel sick at all & I didn't bother with a Dramamine.:cool1:

I also cried at that part, and I was surprised because I'm usually not a softy when it comes to stuff like that! I just really felt like I was there and was loving the whole ride and didn't want it to be over. My husband was like "OMG are you okay?" and I was doing a little laugh/cry and was like "YES! It's just happy tears!". I wish we could have rode it more then once.

Thanks everyone, I YouTubed the mater ride and it looks more like you get thrown from side to side, (not horribly bad) I’m sure my 8 year old will want to try Alien’s so I’ll suck it up and try it..lol!

I'm very prone to motion sickness, too. I have trouble on all the rides you mention, plus Astro Orbiter. My advice is to focus on something in the vehicle. Don't look around as everything is spinning by.

My DH is very prone to motion sickness on all rides. He always asks his Dr for Scope patches. You wear it behind your ear for 3 days then replace it with another. Works like a charm every time! He doesn’t want to sit out so this is a great option for him. Although some would consider them a tad pricey per patch. Him being able to join us on all rides is priceless. :)

To me it looks more like a scambler type ride from your local fair, as far as motion goes, but slower. I also get nauseous on spinny rides and/or simulator rides so tea cups are a definite no for me and Star Tours I keep my eyes closed the entire time so that my son can ride. I'm willing to give the Alien Spinning Saucers a try because I can handle a bit of scrambler before I get too pukey and the video of the mater one does not look so bad at all.

Thank you for all of the advice on this thread. My DH & kids have to take dramamine just to go on a car ride when it's warm, so we'll definitely be packing several different items for them to try over the course of our WDW trip.

I'm one who gets sick on a LOT of rides - I could handle Mater's at DL. I'm looking forward it Alien Spinning Saucers. It's alot like scrambler rides

Forget the Dramamine and ginger, ask your doctor if they can prescribe you some of the motion sickness patches. The one that I had was transderm. You just stick it behind your ear and it's supposed to last for three days. If you're sweaty like me they do tend to slide off, but mainly in the shower until I learned to not get near it/rub the area while bathing. It helped big time! I get nauseous very easy on the 3D rides, I rode Star Tours at DL in the morning and it destroyed my whole day in the park, went back to the room and slept it off. Dramamine did not help. With the transderm patch, I rode every 3d ride from FOP to (almost all) the Universal Orlando 3D rides.

I did feel the nausea come on but it went away in a few minutes (if that) and the feeling never knocked me down like it would have under just dramamine.

The one time I felt really ill was Race through New York with jimmy Fallon. Not only was he not funny, but I had to keep my eyes closed the whole ride and had to sit for a few after that one :crazy2:. Even talking to some of the employees there, I was afraid to ride anything 3D after that, they told me that even they get sick on the jimmy fallon ride and not on the other 3D rides.

MIB, the spinning got to me but I was okay right after.

Mission space, made it through orange (first time riding it) but did lose my balance after getting out of the ride, the cm had to catch me :thanks:but I didn't feel too ill.

FOP, Escape for Gringots, Forbidden Journey and all were amazing to ride, no way would I have been able to handle those rides without the patch. I even wanted to get on them a second time!

But I do need to stress, in case you missed it, I get really sick on 3D rides. Heck even on the train to hogwarts I could feel some nausea start to creep in, that's how sick I get. The patch helped way more than dramamine, I felt the nausea come on but the patch really suppressed it and the feeling went away very quickly. Also it was never the full on nausea feeling, just the oh no here it comes feeling if that makes sense.

I did keep some ginger on hand just because I like the taste :D

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter