For Those Who Live in the Orlando Area

wdwjunkie2005

Mouseketeer
from your experience, what's the general attitude towards gays in the orlando area? did any of you move from somewhere else just to be near THE WORLD?

Orlando has a gay city council woman, a large gay resort, a large gay population, dozens of gay bars, a huge celebration every year (gay days) and a few years back flew rainbow flags on every light post in Downtown. It's a very gay friendly city.

I moved here (Orlando) 8 years ago from New Jersey, and for the most part I haven't had any problems here. However, while I would consider Orlando relatively 'gay-friendly', the state of Florida as a whole is something different. This is, after all, a red state. All in all, moving to Orlando was a good choice for me, and one I have never spent a minute regretting. It is an AWESOME place to live.

Pete

OrlandoMike said:
Orlando has a gay city council woman, a large gay resort, a large gay population, dozens of gay bars, a huge celebration every year (gay days) and a few years back flew rainbow flags on every light post in Downtown. It's a very gay friendly city.

Which gay resort are you talking about? Dozens of gay bars? I am not sure I even know of 10, let alone dozens (more than 24). :-)

I bought my house in Winter Garden to have a place close to Disney. I split my time between it and my place in LA (as well as a quite a bit of other travel).

It is a fun place to live and is very gay friendly.

/carmi

The resort I refer to is the Parliment House.

And if you add up all of the "gay" bars, and the "gay friendly" bars, including Pleasure Island and City Walk, I'm sure you could come up with at least two dozen places.

My point was and is, Orlando is very, very gay friendly.

Now rural Florida is another story.........

OrlandoMike said:
The resort I refer to is the Parliment House.

I hoped that you were not talking about PH. I have a hard time calling two bars and a store with a "back room" equivalent that they call the hotel a resort. Oh well. I had high hopes for Freedom, but it never seemed to get off the ground.

And if you add up all of the "gay" bars, and the "gay friendly" bars, including Pleasure Island and City Walk, I'm sure you could come up with at least two dozen places.

Here we just have a difference of opinion. I do not consider "gay friendly" bars to be gay bars. The number of bars, restaurants, stores, and other merchants that cater to a primarily gay clientele is an indication of how large and strong the gay community is. Not only does Orlando not have all that large gay business community, but many of our bars are either gay only one night a week, or only have a crowd one night a week.

My point was and is, Orlando is very, very gay friendly.

Now rural Florida is another story.........

Here we are in complete agreement. Orlando's gay community is small, but vibrant and well accepted by the population as a whole.

/carmi

I never said the PH was the Ritz, but they they are trying. As of now they have a hotel, a few bars, a restaurant, a pool, a theater that on occasion shows legit theater as well as drag shows, and the time shares are on their way from what I hear. It can be "seedy" but hey I met the DH there so it cant be all that bad.

My point on the bars is, while we are not New York Ctiy, we do have plenty of gay bars, bars for women, bears, twinks, disco boys, just about everything! Not bad for a city in central Florida!

Now the Kissimmee/Disney are could sure use a watering hole! Anyone got any cash they want to invest?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter