For those who prefer to stay offsite.

What would bring you onsite?

• Cheaper Hotel Prices

• Front of the line access (like Universal has) for all park rides?

• A hotel strickly for Adults (Think of a "Lady and Tramp" resort for Adults)

• A hotels onsite but minus the Disney theme

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
I've taken this route (we always take it home). It was blocked a few morning the last time we were there. Still from the front door of condo/rental house to the entrance of the park still takes a good 45 minutes. I'm talking my physical body inside the ticket entrance of a park. It takes that long. Again, time yourself and the 10 disney dollars are still up for grabs. It takes that long. You probably haven't paid it too much attention. Like I stated earlier, we try to beat our time every year.

Well, I guess same goes for when you stay onsite, right? Ok. I leave my room at POR and walk to the bus stop, wait 10 minutes for the bus (I've waited 25 minutes before at WL, but I'll take out that one), pick up people at all the rest of the stops, drive to MK, walk to the turnstiles.............easily 30-40 minutes. The people on the bus from the French Quarter would have had a longer commute.

Like I said before, what you've experienced just hasn't been what I have, or probably what most on this board have. If it took an average of 45 minutes to get to a park, I don't think there would be an "Orlando Hotels and Attractions" board.............there wouldn't be enough people interested.

I voted for cheaper hotel prices, but I also need a spacious room for a family of six. Really I think I am too spoiled by off site villas and I will never stay on site until my kids are grown.

Well, I guess same goes for when you stay onsite, right? Ok. I leave my room at POR and walk to the bus stop, wait 10 minutes for the bus (I've waited 25 minutes before at WL, but I'll take out that one), pick up people at all the rest of the stops, drive to MK, walk to the turnstiles.............easily 30-40 minutes. The people on the bus from the French Quarter would have had a longer commute.

Absolutely, I stated that in my post earlier. I stated that the only difference was you are in the 'disney zone or experience' instead of your car or rental. That's all. The best time from the door of our Disney resort to the park entrance is at least 30 minutes. And that's if the bus is there when you get there AND there is room for your family. And that's if you don't get side tracked in the food court or the gift shop. I enjoy the walk from the resort music is playing everywhere, most people are happy and smiling.

I voted FOTL access. That's probably the only thing that would get me onsite at a Disney hotel. The so called perks they offer just don't appeal to us. We're not morning people so the early EMH would be a wash.
After a day in the parks, we just don't care to stay extra late either.

Also the whole resort delivery thing really annoyed me. They make it sound so convenient but in reality, it's to get you and your kids into yet another gift shop. At Universal, they deliver purchases right into your room. Now that's service. My kids get their toy and dh is happy too.

As far as the transportation goes, when we stayed onsite it was right after 9/11 and parks were almost empty. It was still a long wait at park closing and not fun holding a sleeping 4 y.o. I would have been just as happy getting into my car and driving back.

Even when we stayed onsite we rented a car. We love the freedom. I don't need Disney 24/7. In fact, I'd feel trapped to be there without a car. As far as the parking fee, we usually do 4 Disney days on an avg. vacation so that's $44. Not exactly big bucks and well worth it to save my sanity.

There is no magic when cramming 4 of us in 1 room with 1 tv and 1 bathroom. No space or privacy and definitely no romance. The only time I can tolerate that is on the Disney Magic and that's only b/c it's too expensive to have 2 connecting rooms with windows and dh refuses to stay in an inside cabin.

I also put up with it at onsite Universal hotels but that's only for 1-3 nts at the most. That room key is worth its weight in gold! :cloud9:
Then we go to our timeshare and spreaaaad out! :woohoo:

Staying onsite is great for couples or maybe 1 child but only for a short stay.(5 days or less)
I can't imagine doing like 10 days of just WDW and not be able to go anywhere else. For a little more than cab fare or shuttle, you can rent a car.

I think everyone's situation is different and you just have to try different ways and see what works best for your family.

Absolutely, I stated that in my post earlier. I stated that the only difference was you are in the 'disney zone or experience' instead of your car or rental. That's all. The best time from the door of our Disney resort to the park entrance is at least 30 minutes. And that's if the bus is there when you get there AND there is room for your family. And that's if you don't get side tracked in the food court or the gift shop. I enjoy the walk from the resort music is playing everywhere, most people are happy and smiling.

Gotcha! :thumbsup2

Also the whole resort delivery thing really annoyed me. They make it sound so convenient but in reality, it's to get you and your kids into yet another gift shop. At Universal, they deliver purchases right into your room. Now that's service.

WDW used to do this. I remember when we first stayed at POR and all my packages were waiting for me in my room. That was great.

And then when I stayed at the WL, it had changed and it was down in the gift shop. Well, we came "home" too late and it was closed. Then all the next day we were at the parks again. Then that night I forgot about it......probably too tired. So it was two days before I got my package.

So the NEXT time we were at POR and we drove most of the days. I just had them sent to the front of the park (which anyone can do, not just onsite) and we picked them up afterwards and went right to the car.

You don't want to do this when there are hoards of people leaving the park at the same time. Way too long of a line.

It was nice to have my packages right away.

I wish they still sent it to your room. I didn't know Universal did that. Hmmmm.

Nothing could persaude me to stay on-site.

Whilst i love visting Planet Disney i wouldn't want to live there even for a week. There's so much more to do in Orlando other than just WDW. Am i allowed to say that in this board?

I feel I almost need to vote twice because I'm greedy and want cheaper hotel prices, plus front of line access!!

IMHO you can't beat Universal Hotels for this perk, plus the close proximity to the parks within walking distance - that really IS staying onsite.

We have stayed at the Poly and AKL and loved every minute of it, but only every stay onsite (Disney or Universal) for no more than 3 days at a time.

I voted other as the make up of our family (me and DW, DS17 and DD 10) means that two double beds does not do the job. We hire a villa so a similar standard of accomodation at a price which was close would have to be available.

Cost.

For sanity, we absolutely require separate sleeping spaces for the kids and adults. We like to have a kitchen and washer/dryer, but those are not hard requirements.

The cheapest way to do this onsite is two value rooms. For less than half that, we can get a 2BR or 3BR timeshare condo offsite. The bus to MK is nice, but its not worth that much to me. What's more, from many locaitons, the drive time to the parks is no worse offsite than from some onsite hotels. In particular, OKW and SSR are both out of the way to most of the rest of the resort. Windsor Hills is closer in terms of driving time, and Vistana is about the same.

You have to drive past Wyndham Bonnet Creek when going between OKW/SSR and many other internal destinations.

I do stay onsite when I can get an exchange into a larger DVC unit. They are nice, but to me they are not worth the cost of admission to buy in. The units are, in general, a bit smaller than offsite alternatives (except for OKW), and in some cases a bit less well-appointed than the better offsite alternatives.

I recognize, though, that lower prices onsite are not going to happen. Disney has an average year-round occupancy rate of about 90%. At that level of heads-in-beds, prices are only going to go up, not down, as demand is already there.

...the only thing that would get me to go back would be if I could have a 3 bedroom condo with a full kitchen, washer/dryer, etc. for $100/night.

I totally agree. I can't fatham giving up a multiple bedroom condo in a deluxe environement ... if Disney's definition of deluxe is offering a Queen bed, themed pool area with slide, and hot tub ... to stay in a value for the same price.

Perhaps, if Disney took the Family Suites and put them in Moderates for the same price ($200-ish), I might consider. Oh, and they should also throw in a free breakfast. :rotfl:

We also tend to get alot of hotel points through DH's work travel. Perhaps Disney should start offering "frequent flier" points for those who stay onsite ... letting them have some free nights racked up ... instead of making everyone research and pray for discount codes to be released.

I have stayed both onsite and offsite. I would prefer to stay onsite because of convenience. I'm an early riser and I like to get to the parks at rope drop while my teenage sons prefer to sleep in :( But they are getting older (and bigger) and it is getting harder to comfortably fit three of us in a hotel room. Not to mention they like to stay up super late hence the need to sleep in.

I had a ressie for CSR for our August trip but cancelled it. I just couldn't imagine us all crammed into one room. Instead, I booked a 2 bedroom condo at Windsor Hills. I got a pretty good deal on Orbitz - $708.00 for an 8 night stay.

While I am looking forward to having more room, saving some money, being able to prepare some meals (if I decide to) and having a washer and dryer (this will come in handy now that the airlines are charging for the second checked bag), I will miss the "magic".

do both!

stay onsite with my DVC or trading my II to DVC.

stay offsite with my other timeshares (which is for sale) and RCI.

like doing both - lots of times in one stay. stay offsite but a day or two (generally when I like the EMH nights) will stay onsite.

now OKW is probably as nice as the offsite timeshare stayed at. the others DVC resorts are a heck of lot smaller. but since Disney can sell them anyway - they can do it.

Disney won't lower prices anytime soon. What I hope will happen is another resort - call this one ecomony and it will start like value at $49 a night. Of course rooms will be smaller than the value - and that would be hard.

disney resort have always gone up in price. Hey remember the 70's - when the Polyn was $39 to $59 a night.... those days are gone forever.

like offsite at times - like onsite at times.

US/IOA hotels have GREATLY increased in price. got RP once for $89 a night - the same room now would be $239 a night.

as far as having FOLE - think the problem is the locals - you don't want to often your daily customers. but the program I heard was on the price - like if you stayed in a deluxe you got FLOE for 10 rides per day - but if you stayed in value - 3 rides per day. (this was a long, long ago - and Disney did not do it)

most of us only go 1 or 2 (okay 4 or 5 times) per year to WDW. some of the local go everyday.

because I have owned DVC for many years - my expensive are about the same staying onsite or off. - you have to count the maintence fees plus exchange fees for timeshares.

now when I use a skyauction they are definitely cheaper and you get more room.

what Orlando timeshares has lower maintence fees? please say. Compared to my other timeshares - my Orlando is almost twice as much.

okay just realize when staying in a 2-bedroom offsite - comparing that to a studio on site (using my points). and that is just not fair. so staying onsite is definitely more expensive if doing the same unit as offsite.

I recognize, though, that lower prices onsite are not going to happen. Disney has an average year-round occupancy rate of about 90%. At that level of heads-in-beds, prices are only going to go up, not down, as demand is already there.

Yep. This is what I see for my family's future WDW trips..............we stay offsite for longer trips because of price....OR......we save for a very long time to stay in a monorail resort.(that might be for just DH and I for two or three nights)

It's not that money is tight, and this isn't judging anyone for spending lots of money, really it isn't.....but for us, spending $350 a night at WDW for a hotel room just isn't in our character, if you know what I mean. Now, we've done Hawaii.........now for that place............:cloud9: (ofcourse I would still bust my butt to get a good deal.

I would love to stay onsite however there are so few options for a family of 6 that won't break the bank!!!

Last year we stayed in 2 rooms at the Coronado. It was lovely but expensive! This year we thought we'd spend the extra money and stay a few days longer.

Nothing could persaude me to stay on-site.

Whilst i love visting Planet Disney i wouldn't want to live there even for a week. There's so much more to do in Orlando other than just WDW. Am i allowed to say that in this board?

You sound just like my DH! Is this you dear???!!!!! :rotfl2: j/k

I appreciate your opinion. :goodvibes

US/IOA hotels have GREATLY increased in price. got RP once for $89 a night - the same room now would be $239 a night.
Yes, they are not cheap but the FOTL is such a great perk, I don't mind paying more than an avg. hotel price and we even splurge for the valet parking. I love the service there.

BTW, with an AP, you get huge discounts at their onsite hotels. We got the Hard Rock for $144 for our last 2 trips and that's not even their cheapest hotel. I felt it was a great value and the FOTL completely changed the whole "flavor" of our trip and park touring.

I guess, there are people who feel the same way about staying onsite at WDW.

BTW, with an AP, you get huge discounts at their onsite hotels. We got the Hard Rock for $144 for our last 2 trips and that's not even their cheapest hotel. I felt it was a great value and the FOTL completely changed the whole "flavor" of our trip and park touring.

Wow $144! I called to check on AP rates for our stay and they were only offering a 10% discount :scared1:. I would love to do FOTL but not for $250 a night

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter