• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

For those who swear they'l never go in the summer again

studog

Mouseketeer
I once to swore this because of the hot and humid weather not to mention the crowds and foreigners. My question is ..do you miss it. I haven't been during this time (moved my vacations to March of each year) since 98 but I sorta miss it. I know in the summer, the parks stay open later, there are more events and "special" things going on. SInce I just bought into DVC, I can get more trips in and was thinking of going at the end of August this year. What might be some perks of going in Aug vs March?

We first started to go to WDW in April . . .2x . . .then July, June and now we are going in October this year.

I really wanted to go again in the Summer this year, but then I'm reminded of the crowds . . .and the daily rain . . .I missed the blue sky/puffy clouds of April . . .

The heat/humidity in the Summer wasn't truly unbearable as we have had some HOT, HUMID Summers here in CT, but it was the crowds that held me back from booking again for this Summer. Last June was huge crowds . . which I was surprised at because the previous Summer we went July 4th week which wasn't very crowded at all.

There are perks of Summer in WDW though . . .longer park hours!

But, we are looking forward to October this year, hopefully little/no rain, blue skies, smaller crowds . . .maybe I can actually get a turkey leg this year.:teeth:

Summer for us means a second visit. I thought about the crowds and the heat, but then realized I would rather GO with these issues than not go at all. We always do Spring Break in March, but in the summer when the kids are off and hubby's job is slow, we can "sneak in" an extra trip. We just PLAN for the realities of summer. We do the parks only in the early morning or late evening -- so sweltering 1pm stuff for us. We swim every single day (my kids are little and LOVE this) and do resort-hopping and shopping when it's really hot. We take it easy and try to RELAX. The last two summers our trips have been great. The weather was hotter back home, and we got little rain. Yes it's crowded, but again -- rather be at WDW than back home! Just plan realistically and you'll do fine. There is something magical about being in the MK at midnite in the summertime!

Because I can't take DS out of school (Catholic HS) I have no choice but to go in the summer. I don't think I'd know myself in WDW without crowds and humidity! :teeth:

We went last August, the third week. It was very rainy, but I understand that the amounts were quite unusual. Incredible thunder/lightening storms. Crowds were pretty big due to the FTP. But, we are going back the same time frame this summer. I went in mid-Dec (2003) and really didn't like the chillyness of the weather. I guess perfect would be 80 during the day with little humidity, and about 70 at night. But I have a feeling that weather is happening when my dd has to be in school. So, we are going down for Thanksgiving in addition to August. She will miss 3 days of school but will get to see the Christmas decorations up before it gets too chilly there.

But I will be there for 2 days in June!:eek: BRING ON THE CROWDS I am ready!:p ;)

We are thinking about going at the end of may 2005 for a long trip, maybe a week or so. I hope it isn't too bad, I know it will be hot and have large crowds too. We'll probably go on some shorter trips, like on the weekends around Halloween and Christmas, maybe one in the summer. I really can't wait to go again, we are going to get AP's since it isn't to much of a drive, 4 1/2 hours. :cool:

In my opinion the best time to go is the weeks after Thanksgiving and ending about December 17. We used to do that all the time when our boys were in elementary school. They were excellent students so we pulled them for a week and it was wonderful. The weather could be a little chilly but mostly 70 degrees. No lines for anything AND they put up all the Christmas decorations. We would stay at Port Orleans and when we returned from the park Brear Bear and Rabbit dressed in candy striped scarves were in the court yard serving coco and cookies . The bus drivers wore stocking caps and the whole thing was really nice. Sure, the park closed early BUT there were no lines so there was no problem riding the rides multiple times AND we could go back and have a nice dinner with again , no crowds. I wish we could do it again but the kids are in H.S. now and it is not possible. Great place to Christmas shop too. Forget November unless it is after Thanksgiving.

We used to go in the summer and now go in Jan. While I don't miss the heat, I do miss the late hours and water activities.

No, especially not after visiting Animal Kingdom in January! It was the most beautiful mild pleasant sunny breezy day ever and it made the day so much more enjoyable. (I imagine the heat combined with an animal park is what makes people pick this park as their least favorite.)

We might do a family trip with my sis and mom who are school teachers, so I may be subjected to a Summer trip next year and I'm dreading it already, well almost, it is Disney, LOL!

Nope, I don't wanna go back. I can't even describe how miserable I was.

We are going the middle of May this year, and that's as close to summer as I'll go now =) June, July, and August are out from now on as far as possible dates to visit...

For me, the perks don't outweigh the heat and crowds.

I have no reason to stick with summer trips, so I'll just go when its nicer weather and less crowds =) I commend those that endure it each year!

I am one of those people who said never again in the summer, but it was either summer or not at all so I picked summer this year. I hope to beat some of the crowds by going in early June but I know I won't beat the heat. When we go in summer, my mom & I play a game called "Pick out the Northerners". They are beet red by 10 am. I feel so sorry for them. They don't understand about the humidity in the south until they experience it first hand.
This will be my first trip to see AK in the summer. The last 2 times I saw AK was in cold weather. It was wonderful. I'm dreading it this time.

My DH swore off summer trips on our June 2000 visit. Since that time he has not returned in the summer and he does not intend to.

The boys and I on the other hand never minded the crowds, heat, etc because of the extended hours. But the last few years extended hours aren't what they used to be so we haven't been during the summer months for 2 years. I miss when the MK would be open until 11 or 12, but no more.

After our July 2002 trip I swore "never again in the summer" (we were there in the summer of 2000, 2001 & 2002). So our next trip was this past October and it was a perfect vacation....the weather was perfect, crowds great...aaahhh! DD missed a week of school in order to do it but it was her 16th birthday so I figured it was a special occasion and didn't mind pulling her out of school just that once (teachers were fine with it as well).

Now we're heading back this July because we just want to go back sooooo bad and it's the only time we can do it (she'll be missing a few days of 12th Grade next March for the Disney Cruise I'm taking her on for her Grad Trip so I don't think she should take any more days off than that).

But...we've decided to go with a different frame of mind this year and are planning a much slower-paced vacation...1 day of parks in the morning, break in the afternoon, parks in the evening, followed by a day off (swimming, relaxing, shopping, etc). We're also going with the mind-set that we don't have to "do everything" :eek: because we've been there before and will be going back. We just want to be surrounded by the magic. :)

As much as I'm dreading the heat & humidity, I really don't mind the crowds that much....and as the OP mentioned, the parks are open later and I really did miss that in October. I'd rather do Disney in July than not at all so July it is for us.

We went last June and DH swore up and down that he would NEVER go that time again due to the heat, humidity, rain and crowds. Well, just the other day he asked if I had booked a June trip! He thought I would have gone ahead and done it anyways. :rolleyes: We are going THIS SATURDAY :-)) ) which is our spring break, and in the future we'll probably have to keep that time and summer once the schools start giving us a hard time about taking the kids out. Right now we love to go in November right before Thanksgiving.

I would go again in June because our vacations aren't only about the parks. I love hanging out at the resort and just relaxing.

Jill

Which part of March are you comparing to August? With the Spring Breaks in mid to late March, I'd think the end of August would be comparable in crowds. Early March would have fewer visitors.

Most kids might not begin school until after Labor Day, but a large number, especially in the South, will start school in the middle of August. (There may be a post on this somewhere on this board.) This should cut down on the crowds at the end of August.

I don't have any idea as to what groups to expect from other countries during these time periods:confused:

For March or late August, my choices for best times to visit based on expected crowds would be: 1-early March; 2-late August; 3-mid-March; 4-late March. Need more input!

Went the last week on June the first time we went back in 1997 and would NEVER go back then again. The heat and humidity was horrible.Thunderstorms... The crowds were unbearable. Many large touring groups bearing flags...never again. Having been back several times in April I would rather deal with the Easter crowds and more pleasant weather. Am heading back in 3 days...can't wait!!!:bounce: :Pinkbounc :sunny:

We've never been in the Summer,only in early Spring and fall. But we wanted to stay for 2 weeks and Summer was the only time we could do that. So,here we come,late June and early july! I'm actually looking forward to the steam.....ya,right!!! LOLOLOL
I don'yt care,we'll be at WDW:cool1: :cool1: :cool1:

I swore off summer visits years ago. Like some of the above posts, I prefer the period between Thanksgiving and Christmas. The atmosphere is just so pleasant at that time of the year. I haven't been to the parks during the summer since '90. If I don't go again soon I'll have to put it off until Oct.. Last year I considered going in July, but I didn't even made it to the car before I had to run, screaming, back inside! My sneakers had already began to overflow with sweat and I was close to heat exhaustion! No, seriously, there are trade-offs to going when I like, like shorter park hours and sometimes they cancel parades and fireworks. But there are less people and I never feel the need to do everything. Just the same, every once in a while the thought does cross my mind to go in the summer. I doubt it will happen though!

O.k....shouldn't have even pulled up this post, I know, but...

I went to WDW during the first week of June in '92. Don't remember it being overly crowded or more hot than I'm used to anyway (live in the south). We had a ball, and I know lines weren't crazy long and there was no such thing as Fastpass then.

Went last May (early) for the first time since, and found things great, however, major heat wave going on (upper 90's each day).

Planning for next year, June 6-11th. Haven't been really worried about things, so don't jinx me!!! I've heard things won't be SO crowded yet, and the parks will be open later than early May. I'm used to heat, always love carrying on in the rain, and the only thing I care about is crowds. I'm going for it!!!!! Go JUNE!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter