For veteran DiSsers with autistic children...

MBW

Mouseketeer
How do you feel the new GAC system works compared with the old one? We've always tried to have our vacations during slow times (since our last one ended up the week of Sept 11, 2001, you can't get much slower than that), and had our most recent one planned for this past early-mid December, but my spouse ended up getting a job which started Dec. 5th in a completely new and unfamiliar city. So now I'm rescheduling, and picked the end of Feb - beginning of March, as it seems like the slowest time, according to the Unofficial Guide, after mid-February (we move into our permanent home Jan. 15th, so I don't feel capable of trying to go anytime before Feb 15th.) But it looks as though its still going to be busier than we're used to, and I'm concerned about how the boys will handle the waits and the crowds.

I've read that some people feel that while it's great to have an alternative location to wait, that their wait now seems not shorter, but actually longer than the regular line. Anyone have more insight into this phenomenon? Just a fluke, or now commonplace? Also, how common is it for a CM to give you an alternative time to return? Does that then wipe out any FassPass you might be carrying for another ride?

I remember getting really anxious about this back last spring when we first started planning our Dec. trip, and was calmed by many people's experiences. But now we as a group have about a year or more under our belts with the new policies. Do people still find WDW to be truly accessible for their autistic children, or is it now death by a thousand papercuts?

I have to say, too, that since we took our long trip (a few forum readers might remember we sold our home and went on the road last June to write a book about traveling with autistic kids), I'm both more confident of my boys' abilities to adapt, and less confident that most vacation venues really care about being ADA compliant. We found ourselves becoming vocal advocates for greater accessibility not only for non-apparent disabilities, but more times than not, for visitors with mobility issues. (Our trip was put on hold when my spouse got his surprise job offer, but I've determined that the research continues, even if we're stuck doing frequent vacations, versus constantly moving. At least until I can convince him to hit the road full time again.)

If DISvets are uncomfortable posting their experiences, please feel free to PM me.

Could you give me some information on the new GAC system? Our last trip was 2003 and we will be returning this summer with our 11 year old autistic son. Our last trip we used the GAC to access the fastpass line. Have things changed since then?

I am a Disneylander not WDW (but maybe every other year) And it really depends on the staffing and park attendance what happens if you have a alternate entrance GAC. There are several types of passes to meet each guest need and not everyone gets the same pass. Normally Children with ASD get a alternate entrance pass which most the time you go through fast pass or the exit depending on the attraction. Sometimes (with alternate entrance) you will get a paper slipt that will have you come back later in the day. Normally it is about the same time as the length of the Line. If your Children need structure and can not handle going to a ride and being told they have to come back (because of change in routine) I HIGHLY reccomend Fast pass and have the GAC for emergancies. A perfect example of this is space mountain and Autopia at Disneyland. Everytime we go to these attractions we enter a differant way and sometimes have to wait for over 1 hour (Space most the time) It is much easier to get a fast pass so that my DS knows when he is going on and he has more control of the situation.
I personally love the new system just because it cut back on abuse by at least 75% maybe even more. Maybe someone who frequants WDW will know what attractions normally have differant boarding proceedures several times in a day and can tell you so that you know to get fast pass for those rides. I remember the last time I brought the kids to WDW they had a real problem with the buzz lightyear line. I don't remember why but they ended up never going on that ride again the entire trip. I believe we entered through fast pass. They were much younger 5 and 7 so they had more problems with loud noises and it could have been noisey in there I don't remember it has been so long.
I wish you luck and I hope that someone will tell you what rides have differant boarding areas.
(((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))
Jen

As it means we have to go past a ride the boys might really want to ride, and then leave again, only to return later. My boys don't understand time well, so it's no comfort that we'll be able to return a such and such a time.

It might be easier for families with only one autistic child, as then one parent can run over undetected and pick up FPs, but with two AS kids (plus two NT), it gets a lot more complicated.

I agree that it does cut down on abuse; unfortunately, it may also make WDW impossible for my kids to handle as well as they have in the past.

Believe me I know about have several people with disabilities in the group. I have an adult that has Schizophrenia, one with PDD and one that is ADHD with sensory issues. I remember about two years ago I took my son to star tours and they changed the carpet and some of the flooring he would not ride until we went back several times and looked at it.

If it helps at all cast members are great and if you explain the situation they tend to be more helpful. I am a very vocal person so if there is a problem I let them know but I am nice about it. All they see is the stamp and they do what they are told with the stamp but they can help out more if you ask.

Good luck taking both your kids at once to the park it is a challenge but it is worth it in the end :-) I think you will see that the new system works great. There is not many changes you just don't get on right away. Sometimes you have to wait in a small fast pass line but it moves ver quickly.

When did they change the GAC policies? I'm not sure if its changed since the last time we were there. Do you actually use the GAC to access the Fastpass line or do you just get the actual Fastpass ticket? We've never gotten a Fastpass ticket so I'm not sure how those work. I'm just trying to be prepared since our last visit went so smoothly. For my son who isn't able to tolerate the waiting/line congestion/sensory overload I'm not sure what would be the advantage to the GAC if the waiting time is the same. Hopefully someone can clear this up for me. Thanks!!

What does GAc actually stand for?

We took our Asperger's son with us to WDW last in September 2004 and all the Cast Members were very helpful. Has anything truly changed since then? The only thing i was told was to have a letter from his Pediatrician to present to Disney staff to get the pass.

mmaddog56

The ADA does not allow asking for a letter, and Disney does not require it. If you do have a letter, whether from a doctor or just a note you write yourself, is shouold state what the needs are and not state a diagnosis.

Ironically, I just ran across our 2001 letter from our pediatrician this morning. She was very specific both about their conditions and behaviors and what accomodations she felt Disney should make for them (this is someone who visits Disney often herself, and has an autistic child as well.) We've now moved to a new city and don't even have a new ped yet, so I'm thinking of just calling bringing this note and hoping the date doesn't matter (since their conditions haven't changed.)

I know that the ADA doesn't require documentation, but I personally feel that if we all offered it anyway, it would go a long way towards CMs not thinking that everyone who asks for the kind of accomodation our kids need is trying to scam the system. I think much of the problem developed when people learned, sadly from lurking on boards such as ours, that you didn't need documentation. I think that most of us have enough paperwork documenting our kids disabilities it wouldn't be a problem (heck, we have so much, we not only got the boys approved for SSI on the first try, but they expedited it! ;)).

MB

mamacass said:
When did they change the GAC policies? I'm not sure if its changed since the last time we were there. Do you actually use the GAC to access the Fastpass line or do you just get the actual Fastpass ticket? We've never gotten a Fastpass ticket so I'm not sure how those work. I'm just trying to be prepared since our last visit went so smoothly. For my son who isn't able to tolerate the waiting/line congestion/sensory overload I'm not sure what would be the advantage to the GAC if the waiting time is the same. Hopefully someone can clear this up for me. Thanks!!
mmaddog56 said:
What does GAc actually stand for?

We took our Asperger's son with us to WDW last in September 2004 and all the Cast Members were very helpful. Has anything truly changed since then? The only thing i was told was to have a letter from his Pediatrician to present to Disney staff to get the pass.

mmaddog56

GAC stands for Guest Assistance Card.

There is some confusion about this - WDW's GAC did not change. It has been pretty much the same since 2000 (other than some changes to how the cards looked not really how they were issued or used). The GAC at WDW is based on the needs the person has. So 2 people with different needs might have cards that provide different accomidation, based on thos needs. For example, someone might need alternative entrances; someone else might need only to avoid stairs. They have different needs and will have cards with different messages stamped on them.

What did change was Disneyland. They previously had a Special Assistance Pass, which treated everyone the same, no matter what their disability was. Everyone got a SAP which allowed them to use an alternate entrance. Last January, they changed to the Guest Assistance Card, pretty much the same way that WDW has been using it since 2000.

As Cheshire Figment mentioned, you don't need any documentation/doctor letter (even though the Unofficial Guide and Deb Wills site say you do). Some people prefer to have one, but in most cases, the CM will not even want to see it. Also, as Cheshire Figment mentioned, if you do bring a letter it should not just say "my patient, John Doe has autism. Please extend him every courtesy." The letter or you really need to explain what the needs are - even 2 people with the same diagnosis might have very different needs.

SueM:

The letter we took with us in Sept 2004 was very specific as to what needs that our son had, and we had very little problems with rides and lines.

But unfortunately for us, our son's Aspergers issues have amplified themselves since he entered puberty.

mmaddog56

mmaddog56 said:
SueM:

The letter we took with us in Sept 2004 was very specific as to what needs that our son had, and we had very little problems with rides and lines.

But unfortunately for us, our son's Aspergers issues have amplified themselves since he entered puberty.

mmaddog56
Some people feel more confident asking for a GAC if they have a letter. If you want to bring a letter, I'd just make sure it is specific like the one you took last time.
I only mentioned the "non-specific" kind because I have seen websites and books that give a template to use that is pretty vague. I have also been in Guest Services when people have brought letters in that were not too helpful - one was regarding a woman's elderly mother who had a stroke and it was basically a discharge summary like a hospital might send to a Nursing Home (was too much detail).
I've also been there when people presented the "non-specific" type and then really didn't know what to say when the CM asked what the needs were.
So, I like to make sure people have some information to help them plan.

I have a 9yo with Asperger's. The first time I asked for a GAC (after two trips that I didn't know they were available), I had a letter with me, but didn't even need it. There has only been one occasion where the GAC didnt' detail our needs exactly. I wasn't paying attention to what was put on it-got it corrected later in the day.

Since the change over to the 'stamped' accommodation, we've had no issues at all.

One thing I do notice, is while the expectation is that it will be treated as a fast pass and we may be asked to come back at the expected fastpass return (as if we were getting a fastpass), there is only one attraction on property that consistently adheres to that policy. Every time we go to "The Land", they hand out a card with a return time. Fortunately, my son now knows what this means-in the past, we'd have meltdowns over this!

Suzanne

This wouldn't be the same person who lived on or near Forrest Ave in Portland!! We spoke several times via email!! We have transplanted to GA!. If it is you, nice to see you on the boards again (I haven't had much time due to the move)

Regarding the GAC, We came back from our trip 4 months ago and I didn't need any documentation and the pass was a lifesaver. The lines were long and it was hot and stormy (we were there for all of the before and after effects of Katerina). I am always on the defensive for people or staff giving me a hard time because autism is the "invisible" disability, meaning that for some autistic children, it is hard to see at first glance (but after 10 minutes in line with them they figure it out). Everyone was wonderful and I was touched at how far some cast members would go to make my son comfortable and to make his experience special.

Poohnatic said:
Since the change over to the 'stamped' accommodation, we've had no issues at all.
For people who might wonder what this is,
WDW used to have GAC cards that had a stamp with a paragraph that told what accomidations were needed. It was sort of hard to read, lots of words and you had to read it to see what accomidations were needed.

I can't remember exactly when, but probably about 3 years ago, WDW changed from the stamps with words to stamps with icons and just a few words. It's much easier to see what accomidations are needed with just a glance.

mamacass said:

It says directly on the GAC that you are expected to get a Fastpass ticket where available. So we do that. My personal way of trying to minimize the appearance of abuse. Any fastpass-enabled attraction has a Fastpass distribution machine. You put each party member's ticket into the machine, and it spits out a fastpass ... it has a window of time to return, and when you do return, you go to the Fastpass Return line.

About getting a time to come back, we have never gotten that. But our group can certainly definitely NOT handle any of the busiest rides. Our most intense is Buzz Lightyear. That one has a long part of the Fastpass line inside, where it is dark, loud, and with a giant Buzz talking display. We can't do it too much.

DisneyDreams4P&B said:
This wouldn't be the same person who lived on or near Forrest Ave in Portland!! We spoke several times via email!! We have transplanted to GA!. If it is you, nice to see you on the boards again (I haven't had much time due to the move).

We too are now Maine Exiles, but in Pittsburgh. So far services here have been pretty good (the boys started school today), but I suspect nowhere is as good as Maine. Sigh.

I feel for you being in Atlanta - friends of our's with a 10 yr old moderately autistic son (non-HF) just moved from Atlanta to NC due in part to the poor services their son was receiving (and they were in an affluent area, and he's a trial lawyer - can't image what it's like for "regular" people there.)

Glad to hear you had a good trip. How was the cruise as well?

I should have addressed the question I skipped...Yes waiting times increase sometimes. At Buzz Lightyear, the ONE time we tried to ride a FP ride without a FP, we were NOT given a card with a time to return...the CM just had us "hang around" until we noticed the fastpass line had shrunk. Then we could re-approach her and she would assess whether to let us in yet or not. We chose to let the kids pick a different attraction, and returned to Buzz a few days later. In the CMs defense, there was some sort of major traffic jam at the Fastpass entrance.

There are definitely other instances. Pirates of the Caribbean is entered many different ways depending on the staffing, etc at that time. Jungle Cruise we waited easily twice as long as the standby line. Space Mountain, the wait was DEFINITELY twice as long. The standby was only about 20 minutes. We waited closer to 45! But for us, that wait time serves as downtime. So does waiting for parades. We stake out our spot close to 2 hours before the parades, and form a "U" around SID dd. Sit there on the curb and eat lunch, etc. I guess the point is that they are offering Alternate Entrance, not reduced wait time. We can only travel during school breaks, so we jsut go knowing not much will get "done." The MOST time we ever stayed in a park on a single day was 5 hours. That's it. And no, we have no nappers in our group.

I've assumed that for parents of autistic and aspergers kids, the main benefit is keeping our kids out of the queue. My son seems to stim more when he's in that crowd waiting. Even if we have to wait 10-20 minutes longer, he's in a better frame of mind, because he hasn't been hemmed in (in his opinion).

Suzanne

taximomfor4 said:
It says directly on the GAC that you are expected to get a Fastpass ticket where available. So we do that. My personal way of trying to minimize the appearance of abuse. Any fastpass-enabled attraction has a Fastpass distribution machine. You put each party member's ticket into the machine, and it spits out a fastpass ... it has a window of time to return, and when you do return, you go to the Fastpass Return line.

I feel that this shows that Disney doesn't in fact "get it" when it comes to accomodating neurologically disabled individuals, or that maybe they do, but don't really care, because they've believe they've fulfilled the minimum requirements of ADA.

Asking most children with classic (or Kanner's) autism to wait for more than a few minutes is like asking someone who is deaf to hear, or a paraplegic to walk - it is not within their cognitive ability to do so. Thus, handing them a FastPass and asking them to wait isn't an accomodation, just because it's not waiting in a line. It's still waiting. I know it's very hard for most people who don't deal daily with autistic individuals to truly understand how debilitating it is for these kids not to have that kind of control over such a basic cognitive ability. It's not about simply learning the skill, like every two year old eventually has to - learning itself is the biggest problem for individuals with autism - their brains just don't put things together like neuro-typical brains do. I can reason with my two year old, and even though she'll whine and cry because she just _wanst_ to do something, she does in fact understand. Even if I explain something like sharing a million times to my seven yr. old, he will act out in the exact same manner the very next time he's asked to share, because it just doesn't register.

If you have an NT two-year old who won't enjoy WDW because they can't handle not getting on the ride immediately, you have one option those of us with autistic kids don't - wait to visit until they're old enough to get the waiting thing. If we tried to do that, we'd never be able to go, because my kids, without a miracle cure, won't ever get it.

So we generally make our own accomodation by going when there are few lines. I'm hoping that my choice of late (post-Presidents week) February - early (pre-spring break) March works for us. If not, I've learned my lesson. But I won't fool myself that Disney is really doing its best to accomodate my kids if they think getting a FastPass like everyone else is actually an accomodation, because it's not. FOTL is an appropriate accomodation, but one which sends many people, even those with non-neuro disabilities, into orbit with indignation.

(Sometimes I think the new "quiet place to wait" option is really to accomodate non-autistic guests in line - my kid is going to meltdown where ever he's asked to wait - at least he won't be bothering other guests if he's segregated. Out of sight, out of mind. Perhaps we should allow him to meltdown in line and let others see what it really means for these kids to have to wait.)

Oh well, enough of a rant. Off to try and plan our own strategies for making magic.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter