For veteran DiSsers with autistic children...

I wanted to let you all know that I am not against GAC's or accommodating anyone with a invisible illness in fact I have one myself and have two children that have one and an adult friend I care for who has a severe mental disorder. But I also worked for Disneyland for 10 years in attractions and saw the abuse of these passes for many years. It got to the point it was so bad that the line for those with special assistance passes exceeded the regular Que on busy days and that does not help anyone. The new program has cut the wait ALOT more then the front of the line passes did because it is not abused as much.
I also wanted to add that if your child can not wait for 5 or 10 minutes in a moving fastpass line then you need to let the people at city hall know this. They are there to help. I am sure that if you bring your child with you and they see they have a hard time standing just for the time it takes to get the pass they are going to accommodate you. Not only are there stamps but they can write instructions on the passes if necessary.
I have been accommodated with my adult friend who can not be surrounded by people. It took talking to a few different people but I received the help that was needed. I can grantee this much that they will NEVER go back to the old policy. It just got way too out of control. So they had the decision to let the GAC's go through fast pass or have them stand in a line through the handicap entrance which was sometimes up to 1 hour long. I know that when my son was at his worst that there was no way he would wait in that line at the exit of the rides and walking through fast pass was just much faster and less traumatic for him.
I also realize that Autism is a spectrum and that not one child with autism acts the same or has the same behaviors. That means that not all people with Autism need to get on the attraction right away so if they changed the policy they would not be accommodating each individual need but lumping all with autism into on category and it is not necessary. There are some like my son who can wait for short periods of time and it is a good learning process for him. There are others that a short wait might cause a meltdown and for those very few I highly recommend being a advocate for them and letting guest relations know that they can not be in any sort of line or it can be dangerous for them or those around them. Be very clear and very stern and I know that they will help you.
Also the newer attractions have no other way to get on faster but fast pass. They have built the newer rides wheel chair access able so there is no "Backdoor entrance" Some of them you can not go through the exit it is just not safe or realistic and can be more a problem then it would be to go through fast pass. Some of the newer DOSH rules require EVERYONE to go through part of the Que because there are instructions and safety warning is the preshow. That is one other reason on some rides (like INDY at Disneyland) you have to go through part of the Que or you do not ride the attraction. Even guest with MAW passes have to go through that part of the line or Disney can be fined
Whoever said Not trying to start a fight...but if your child cannot handle waiting in lines at all (does not understand he cannot do the activity RIGHT NOW!), then is a vacation that involves all lines for all attractions the best vacation for him?
That was just rude and uncalled for. I think everyone should be able to enjoy Disney and these kids have remarkable experiences in the park and tend to do even better when they are there. I even had one parent tell me that he talked his first full sentence while at Disneyland and to me that is worth the effort and the hard work taking your child to Disney. These kids have problems with any type of change but does that mean they should never leave the house. Of course not. Disney is a good place for these children to work on the sensory issues because they are distracted by the attractions and the atmosphere and will do more then they would ever do at home.

I just want all of you that think Disney is not doing a good job accommodating know that we went to six flags and they make you sit at the exit of the ride for how long the line is. We waited for 1 hour for one ride and had to leave. They followed the law and followed the ADA but just did not care. Please realize that Disney does go beyond and above what most parks do. They cater to the needs of the person and that is remarkable. Next time you are in the park and you are not be accommodated talk to a manger and get the accommodations you need. They understand that there are some people that need more help then what there pass provides and I know for a fact that they do help those guest.

MBW said:
But do we harm the people who really need this accommodation just because there are a few really bad apples? Obviously, my answer is no. There are bad people everywhere, and what makes us a compassionate society is that, despite them, we take care of our most needy.
I don't really see that the most needy are not being accomidated. From what people have posted here over the years and from what I've heard and seen over the years, I think WDW does do a pretty good job of accomidation.

What is happening is someone can't go in to Guest Services and say "my child has x diagnosis" and automatically get a GAC. They need to be able to explain at least a little about what their child's needs are. Doing that might take a little longer, but if it works the way it is supposed to, it gives the accomidations that will benefit that person, not a one size fits all that may be way more (or way less) than is necessary.

When this board first began, WDW was re-vamping their GAC system. Those of us who were on the board posted a lot of very exact information about what the different "messages" on the cards were and how they worked. That was helpful to some people who were able to go to WDW and ask for the message that fit their needs. But, some people told me that when they specifically asked, the CMs seemed to be kind of suspicious. But, if the person/parent had verbalized their needs to the CM, they would most likely have gotten the very same card without knowing what the messages said.

About that time, I also started getting PMs from CMs in Guest Relations who said they were getting people coming in asking for specific messages, but didn't seem to have a clue when the CM asked what their needs were. Many were specifically asking for the highest levels of accomidation (no one seemed to want the "wait out of the sun" card). A lot said their child "could not wait in lines", but when asked what about the line was a problem, they just kept repeating the child couldn't wait. Since they couldn't tell the CM what kinds of needs they had - just that they needed the card with "x" message, the CMs who wrote me concluded they probably had read about it/heard about it somewhere and really didn't have the needs.

I also got some PMs from parents of children with special needs saying that a friend or neighbor who did not have a child with special needs had told them about this great "pass" that they got at WDW just by knowing what to ask for. (Most had verified with the parent that the child didn't have special needs). Some of those parents pleaded with me to keep the GAC information kind of vague because their family could not do WDW without a GAC and they were afraid if GACs were misused, they would disappear.
After thinking about it a lot, I decided they were right and after that, we tried to keep some of the specific information off the board (specifically the use of the FP return line). That particular genie is out of the bottle at this point.
Keeping some of that information quiet has maybe misled some people into thinking that the accomidation they think they need is not available, but I am pretty sure that if they go to Guest Services with an understanding of what their/their child's needs are, they will be accomidated. I didn't always think so, but I do think WDW is right not to have a lot of information published about their GACs.

The GAC pass is a life saver for anyone with a special needs child or adult. I know people do not understand this. We are lucky and blessed enough to have a beautiful son named David who is 16. David is at the age level of an 18 month old. We use our GAC pass for letting us use his wheelchair/stroller to get on rides, we use it to wait in an alternate spot (less crowded and shady). David's meds (seizure meds) require him to be in the shade....ok I know here it comes...."Why would you take him to WDW in FLORIDA if he needs to be in the shade?" :sunny: Very good question, Why do we take him to WDW in FLORIDA if he needs shade. IT IS THE MOST MAGICAL PLACE ON EARTH FOR DAVID :) . Our vacations are so much work. They are so hard to plan, to pack for (diapers, medications, adaptive equipment etc.) but the payback is so wonderful. The smiles, the laughter, the pure joy. David is treated like a King in WDW and the GAC pass is one of the things that makes it possible for my little boy's joy. Disney does a great job with it. I do not expect to be first in line, I do not expect to bypass everyone who has been waiting. I do appreciate it when they allow us to use and alternate entrance for David as well as others. My son's laughter and "happy noises" may not be something others enjoy hearing while waiting in line for an attraction. If David has a seizure, I don't want you to have to explain it to your children and I don't want them to have to see it. It is a horrible thing to see but it happens frequently. When David is waiting for an attraction he tends to rock and shake his chair, this is noisy and can be quite scary for children if we are allowed to wait somewhere out of the line they do not have to see this. David's joy is the reason we go to Florida. We make sure he is in the shade, we make sure he is drinking, we make sure he has everything he needs and we love that Disney helps us with this. I have never had a problem with any CM or with obtaining a GAC pass for David but again if you see my boy you know that he has some needs. I feel for the people who are "Second guessed" because their child doesn't look like they need any special assistance. Parents know what they need to make the trip better for their child. I know that there are some people who abuse the system, there always are but for those of use who need it we appreciate it. If you do not have a child who needs accomadations please don't think that because a child looks ok that they dont need some special assistance. Walt Disney World is the most magical place I can take my son on vacation. Without the GAC pass we would not be able to give him this experience. For those of you who look at us when we pass you by in the line, please remember we are going somewhere else to wait we are not "Passing you" Please know that I would trade places with you in a heartbeat if it meant my son could handle that. I would jump at the chance to tell my son to stand up and explain that it will be 20 minutes and have him understand one word. I would love to hear him tell me he is hot, tired or ask when is it our turn I would love to hear him speak one word. I will never experience this. I will however be able to see the smile and hear the laughter of his pure joy when he rides Buzz Lightyear. I will see his eyes light up and see him reach for Mickey when he is getting a photo taken with him. I can watch him watch the parade from a section roped off by WDW so he can sit up front to see his friends. Please remember that the GAC pass is not an excuse for us to get in line ahead of you, it is a chance for us to give our children a moment of pure joy. Thank you to all who smile as we pass, who open doors, who move slightly to the left or right to make it a little easier. Thank you for all of you who explain to their children about my son and who do not pull thier children away. Thank you for asking me if you can help when I can't manuver over the curb. Thank you for understanding. Sorry for the rant...it sort of all just poured out when I started writing this. :guilty:

DL and K's Mom-
You truly are amazing and we can all learn from your compassion and understanding- :love:

In response to having to sign a waiver to obtain a GAC- I'd bet that anyone unethical enough to get one without needing it- is unethical enough to sign anything. :confused3

I don't mind waiting in the shade- I never ask for more accomodations since that is all my son requires. I am thrilled to not NEED more.....as unfortunately many others do. :lovestruc

I was writing in a pinch (Jonah was in meltdown mode) and knew after I wrote it that it didn't come out the way I wanted. I truly apologize.

I do understand Disney's dilemma, but I also know that there are so many people who don't even think to take their autistic kids to Disney because they do not know about the GAC and its accommodations. That's why the vagueness we feel we have to adopt here on the DIS may help protect those who have gone before, but doesn't encourage those who may want to try for the first time. As Jen described above, my son also spoke his first (three word) sentence at Disney back in 2001, when he was 3.5 years old. I want others to know that they too can go to Disney, even if their child has severe issues with waiting and/or lines.

I do agree completely that the GAC should be geared to each child's needs, not their diagnosis. However, time and again, we see here and on Disney's own site, that the GAG does not provide accelarated access to rides. If I were a first-time Disney-traveling parent of a moderately affected autistic child and saw only that, I'd seriously consider changing my plans and heading to a place which understands my child's actual needs. But then, for those who spend enough time of the DIS, the real story begins to come out, that "nudge, wink", "this is the official policy, but many CMs bend the rules", etc.

I do believe that while many people will cheat if they don't think there are real penalties, if they know that if they fraudlently obtain a FOTL GAC, they can be prosecuted for felony perjury, I think most won't take the chance. Particularly if you put out big signs on the counter which state the policy very clearly (then those frauds can sneak out the door of the Guest Services, or make some mundane request.)

Ever since I started on the book (on traveling with special needs kids) I've run across so many people who say they'd vacation with their kids if they knew ahead of time that there really were supports in place to accommodate their kids particular needs. I think we should be able to tell each and every one of them that, yes!, Disney will do whatever it takes to make sure your child's needs are met (within their ability, of course.) If Disney is concerned about fraud, then they need to institute policies which curtail it as best they can - they certainly are concerned with the issue on other fronts, see for instance the entry passes and fingerprint readers.

People spend so much money to go to Disney - they should have a least some idea that it will in fact be worth it, and they won't be spending all their time in the hotel room or resort pool. :)

SueM in MN said:
The honest people would do that, but there are plenty of dishonest people who would do whatever it takes to get a GAC. I read on a CM board that there were even people selling counterfeit MAW badges in the outside of Disney hotel areas a few years ago.

:sad2: :sad2: :sad2: :sad2: :sad2:
*sigh*

:sunny:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter