FOTL ,,,,,,just back from Hard Rock

When the carpet is filthy, has come up in many areas enough that you can trip over it and that the walls are dirty and scuffed up then somebody isn't doing a very good job maintaining on a consistent basis. This room had looked like that for a while. When I am paying $299 a night for a room that I probably wouldn't pay $49 for at a Red Roof Inn somewhere else, it makes me livid. Just because the lobby is gorgeous doesn't mean that the rooms can be disgusting. The fact that someone obviously felt that the room was acceptable to guests (or I wouldn't have been put there) tells me that room standards are quite low and my comfort was unimportant. If there was something in the room that had been overlooked by the cleaning staff, then yes it is worth a complaint but when the room was obviously long overdue for maintainance, people should not be staying in it and Disney has a lot of nerve expecting them to do so.
However, I must add that room cleanliness was not an issue at Yacht Club or Grand Floridian, the rooms were lovely. Polynesian was a little worn and dated but not dirty.

The room at HRH was very clean and housekeeping did a great job. However if you don't want to be disturbed at 8am, put out the do not distrub sign. Every day they knocked on the door at 8:00 am. Finally the last day, I used the DND sign and it wasn't a problem. I hate feeling rushed by housekeeping.

Here are some of my issues.

When I checked in, I asked about upgrading my 2 day pass to a three day pass. The staff member at the desk told me that the concierge could take care of that for me. When I went to the concierge desk, (at which there was no line) the concierge looked up at me and said (and I'm quoting) "What?" Not, 'what can I do for you' or 'what can I help you with', just a plain old "What?" Trying to explain what I wanted in a brief and concise manner, he simply said "You have to do that at the parks" I explained it again, thinking maybe he didn't understand and again, he said "You have to do that at the parks" I told him that the front desk told me that I should come over here and that as a point of trying to help them get their line of communications together, that maybe they should inform the front desk what they can and can not do. The response I got was "Is that all, I'm busy"

Okay, so not the best start to my stay. IT wasn't about who was right or wrong or what the right procedure to use for my situation. It was simply about how to greet a GUEST and make them feel welcome ... this was not the way to do it.

I found the club lounge staff to be just as in-different. On one occasion stepping in to grab a couple bottles of water after returning from IOA they had decided to post a staff member at the door asking for room keys and names. This was after a full weekend of coming and going as we pleased. Without any explaination as to why, the person at the door simply stopped me going in and asked "Room number?" and then "Your name?" That was all, no explaination or thank you or excuse me. He could have at least said "hello"

Now, maybe I'm being nit-picky, but when I was at the Wilderness Lodge, I felt like a GUEST. At the HRH, I felt like I was imposing on these people who were trying to do their job. It's the same kind of response I get when I go to any number of stores at the mall and the teenagers working at the store are two busy conversing amongst themselves to help the customers.

The BIGGEST complaint I had about the HRH staff was overhearing two housekeepers complaining about their job while walking down the hallway. I heard one say to the other "I'm serious if he asks me to work another weekend I'm giving my two weeks notice, I don' t have to put up with this S#!%" I couldn't believe it! Not only were they discussing something that should not have been discussed in front of the guest, they were using inappropriate language.

Finally, I found the food service and wait staff to be sub-par at best.

We decided to grab a burger our second night and went out by the pool. We went to the bar at the pool and found a table. After 20 minutes a server finally came over to us and said "If you want a drink you'll have to go to the bar" I asked him if they were still serving food and he said "No" This was after he walked by our table no less than three times delivering food to other tables. He could have mentioned this EARLIER!?!?!? Another night we decided to try again, this time we went earlier. Still it took 10 minutes before someone came over and gave us menus, another 5 before a server showed up, another 10 to get our drinks and then another 20 before we got our food. All in all it took 90 minutes to get 2 drinks and a couple of burgers. I know it's supposed to be a "casual" place, but this was a little ridiculous.

We also ate at the Sunset grill a couple times. We did the breakfast buffet and with the exception of the hot food, it was the same food offered at the club lounge. The hot food was okay, but certainly not nearly as good as the breakfast buffets' I've had at Disney or Ponderosa for that matter. For dinner, again the food was okay, but the service was TERRIBLE. I asked for a glass of water and after asking me if I wanted carbonated or non-carbonated water, the waiter still brought me the wrong kind of water. It seemed to take forever to get waited on - or even get an acknowlegement that we were there. It was like we were the invisible guests. When the food arrived it was cold and I shouldn't have to ask 3 times for a cup of coffee. We had three different servers and they were all just as confused.

However, the dinner we had at Mama Della's at PBH was Suberb. The service was GREAT, they made us feel right at home. The food was superb and the attention to details was fantastic.

Having said all of that, I don't want to give the wrong impression, the HRH is clean, well decorated, a beautiful hotel. The rooms are clean and spacious and the public areas and the pool are very nice. But the service (which in my mind is 90% of the reason to choose a hotel) was just sub-standard. It did not rise to the level of expectation that they had set for themselves, much less to compare to that at the WL at Disney. It's not that I want people to wait on me hand and foot, but I do want people to make me feel welcome. From day 1 at the HRH, I just didn't feel like they really cared one way or another if I was there or not. They were just there to do their job and that was all. To me, that's sub-par service. I don't pay upwards of $250 a night for the room, I pay the extra money for the service and I felt that I might as well be staying at Motel 6 for the quality of service I received.

Yes, I agree that would definately put me off for my vacation. Sorry you ran into such miserable people. We didn't encounted anybody like that on either of our five day stays. People were so friendly. When you passed any worker in the hall they were so cheerfull and funny. One jumped out from around a corner to scare my 16 year old daughter!!!! We laughed so hard.

We find the people much friendlier at USF. I guess it's the luck of the draw as to what's going on behind the scenes any specific day at any park or hotel. Could the workers in the hall perhaps have been talking about another job? That doesn't excuse the language but they may have other part-time jobs.

It's a shame you had to put up with that type of behavior, especially on your initial arrival. I would have requested a manager in a heartbeat. You were much more gracious in this respect than I would have been.

But with that said, the service and attentiveness of the staff during my stay was excellent at HRH, IOA and US. (With one exception which was at the NBA Restaurant in Citywalk.) Everyone was polite, attentive and cheerful. And I received a smile from practically everyone . This may be due to the fact that I smile alot too, and this tends to be contagious :)

It would be hard for me to compare WDW to US resorts,
because I have always felt that WDW was too overpriced and overrated for what they offer--have stayed at Hyatt Grand Cypress instead---which by the way has awesome anemities and service. This summer though, I'll be trying the Radisson Universal for one night.

Realistically, no facility will have 100% perfect staff ( unless warm bodies are replaced with animatronics or AI :p ), there will always be those few who do not completely follow the corporate program. Of course this is still NO EXCUSE for the problems you encountered.

Make sure you take the time to inform LOEWS of your experience. They can't fix it if they don't know its broken.:)

I'm in total agreement with Sherrilatte, I would complain to Loews. This kind of treatment is unnecessary and insulting. I have not encountered anything like this during my stays at the Hard Rock but everyone has different experiences, no matter where you stay. My experience was exemplary, that goodness.

I always make sure I notate times, dates and names to make sure that the right people are reprimanded.

And in the same train of thought be sure to write and let the hotel manager if you had an exceptional experience. When I was at the HRH in Feb, there was an especially nice young woman in concierge. Her name was Zoe and she actually remembered my name and addressed me personally the 3 days I was there. I wrote the HRH manager and told him how terrific she was!:)

jrgutknecht,

I agree with everybody here, write a letter to the hotel manager and to Loews!!!

I hope you remember the names of some of these people.

-Jon

I agree with what everyone is saying about letting the management know what is going on. I think one of the biggest problems we have in this country today is poor service. It seems that every other employee you deal with at hotels, airlines (in particular), stores, restaurants, etc., feels it is an inconvenience that you are requesting service from them for your dollar. THIS IS SUPPOSED TO BE THEIR JOB!!!
If everyone who received poor service or negative attitudes from these people would contact the management, either in person, by phone, or in writing, I'm sure these jokers would be fired pretty quick. I know I do my part.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter