Four Days in Tampa - wwyd?

Awesome. I graduated from USF for both my bachelors and masters degrees. Busch Gardens is about a 5 minute drive from campus. The Florida Aquarium isn’t too far either. If you want a nice dinner I would recommend Bern’s Steakhouse and the Columbia in Ybor City.

South and West of campus is a little rough. Personally, I would rather stay downtown than near campus.

When going to Disney World we fly into Tampa just so we have an excuse to go to Bern's. It is a one of a kind experience and have the largest wine collection in North America. The desert room is a great experience.

Awesome. I graduated from USF for both my bachelors and masters degrees. Busch Gardens is about a 5 minute drive from campus. The Florida Aquarium isn’t too far either. If you want a nice dinner I would recommend Bern’s Steakhouse and the Columbia in Ybor City.

South and West of campus is a little rough. Personally, I would rather stay downtown than near campus.
YES! Both are legendary Tampa restaurants, and both are amazing for totally different reasons.
When going to Disney World we fly into Tampa just so we have an excuse to go to Bern's. It is a one of a kind experience and have the largest wine collection in North America. The desert room is a great experience.

I agree with all the previous posters Berns is a must!! You need a reservation, same with the Columbia restaurant. There’s a beautiful hotel across the street from berns called the epicurean (Marriott brand). That whole area has become a great dining/bar area with lots of restaurants to choose from. The hotels around USF are not as nice as the ones downtown, but they have greatly improved as the campus has expanded over the years.
The Salvador Dali museum is great if you are an art fan.

Yes I tried to make reservations at Berns but waited until 60 days out and all I was able to get was a 10:30p reservation. They fill up fast. They start taking reservations at 90 days.

You mean south and west campus is dangerous? I haven't looked into the crime there. Is it a generally safe school? Thanks for the recommendations!

I love Tampa. I lived in the area for a few years and while I've been all over the state it is my favorite metro.

What do you guys like as far as hobbies?

Dunedin has a great brewery scene. Old Hyde Park and the U of Tampa area has great restaurants.

The Pinellas trail is a fantastic and easy to ride bike trail.

Tampa is the best outdoor activity part of Florida in my opinion with great parks, a good running and biking scene, and a lot to offer in outdoor activities.

You mean south and west campus is dangerous? I haven't looked into the crime there. Is it a generally safe school? Thanks for the recommendations!

This is the Tampa campus we're talking about, and it's, let's say, a work in progress. A few years ago it was rather rough just off campus in a couple of directions, particularly on Bruce B. Downs, but there are several redevelopment projects nearby that are changing that, including a handful of luxury student apartment complexes that are way more upmarket that what they replaced. The residential north side of campus also has a new Publix of it's very own that opened a couple of years ago. As you'll see when you get there, the campus itself is enormous; it sprawls out and still has a lot of empty open space, which tends to form a bit of a buffer from the surrounding major streets. Still, it's a large campus on the edge of an urban center; the usual sensible precautions apply.

The historical issue is Suitcase City. The city fathers don't like that phrase, but until just a few years ago it was the nickname for the aforementioned area near campus, because of the number of transients to be found there, many of them vets, as it's right by one of the VA hospitals. There once was a mall there, and it declined badly over the years, drawing a somewhat unsavory element, but it's closed now, and is being redeveloped into a medical research campus (more than half of it was torn down.) The area has officially been re-named as the "Uptown District". Here is an article that explains what's going on: https://www.83degreesmedia.com/features/Tampa-Uptown-District-takes-shape-040219.aspx

Three or four years ago most of this was somewhat risky investment, but not anymore. The exponential rise of property values in the Tampa Bay area in the past 2 years has developers in a feeding frenzy: if it's old and run down anywhere in Hillsborough or Pinellas County, they are going after it with a sledgehammer or a bulldozer. Homes that went for $30K 10 years ago are now being sold for close to 10X that. The new "Uptown District" seems to be shaping up as promised, though somewhat sadly, many longtime residents who did what they could to keep the neighborhood viable in the old days will be people forced out as prices continue to climb.

PS: You'll probably be able to get same-day Rays tickets; baseball is losing popularity in the area, and very few games sell out now. If you are in St. Pete on a Friday and want to do something really unique, you can try going to the St. Pete Shuffleboard Club; Fridays are BYOB nights, and the crowd is young. Do take your DD down to Central Ave in St. Pete; it's near the USFSP campus and is a very vibrant area that appeals to the young. (Though remember, that campus is mostly closed on Friday, so not the best day to tour it.) The new Pier is fun, too; Doc Ford's is very popular for an excellent casual lunch overlooking the water, and there are local craftsmen selling at the kiosks on the grounds. There is often free music &/or movies at the bandstand there, too.

Last edited:
All great suggestions. If you have the time, maybe drive to Tarpon Springs. It's a kitchy little Greek community and won't take but a few hours to explore but if you like Greek food it is heaven. My mama used to live in Clearwater Beach so we went often.

Usually very easily. Even though it’s indoors take sunglasses. But as mentioned. It’s an awful place to watch a game.
The problem with Tropicana is that it's indoors, artificial turf, and it just doesn't feel like real baseball. OTOH, it's right off the expressway, easy to get to, plenty of parking, etc.

And...if you are a fan of either team playing, like to visit ballparks, or just enjoy baseball generally -- a bad venue is better than no baseball at all.

All great suggestions. If you have the time, maybe drive to Tarpon Springs. It's a kitchy little Greek community and won't take but a few hours to explore but if you like Greek food it is heaven. My mama used to live in Clearwater Beach so we went often.
This is another great suggestion. Tarpon Springs is well worth a visit. It's one of those unique places that is very different, and in a good way.

Up until a few years ago we spent every winter in Bradenton. We had plenty of visitors and some of the things we enjoyed with them were:-

Dali Museum in St Petersburg
Chihully Collection, again St Petes
Lowry Park Zoo
Manatee Viewing Centre at Apollo Beach Power Station
Ringling Museum Sarasota/Bradenton
The Colombia restaurant in Ybor City
The Bernini restaurant, also Ybor City
Big Cat Rescue Centre in Tampa (tours only)
Homosassa Springs Wildlife Park

ford family

When we were there a couple of years ago, we stayed at that hotel and liked it a lot. Great pool and here is a view from our room/balcony:

View attachment 640991View attachment 640992

We did a boat tour that we reserved at the marina while we were there. We also toured USF during that trip (along with UCF on the second half of that trip). Since you're there for 4 days, maybe try to catch either a Rays games or I'm sure you can catch a minor league game somewhere within 30 minutes or so.

Oh my gosh that VIEW! Which is better the Marriott Water Street or the JW Marriott? I have titanium status so it has to be a Marriott whenever possible.

You guys are giving me such great ideas! Thank you so much!

I do love greek food! Thank you!

The problem with Tropicana is that it's indoors, artificial turf, and it just doesn't feel like real baseball. OTOH, it's right off the expressway, easy to get to, plenty of parking, etc.

And...if you are a fan of either team playing, like to visit ballparks, or just enjoy baseball generally -- a bad venue is better than no baseball at all.
Yes easy to get too. When I go it’s to see the other team if they have a player I would like to see. Doubt I’ll go back. Just not enjoyable.

Tampa is a great city. Nice zoo. I would avoid Clearwater. Overrated. Go to Longboat Key or Lido Key. USF is a good school. Daughter has a degree from there. Choice was down to Florida or USF. She went with USF. I was happy with that choice.
We absolutely love Clearwater and Clearwater Beach! Awesome restaurants, beautiful clean beach. Fun, vibrant feel.

Here's the Rays schedule for April. https://www.mlb.com/rays/schedule/2022-04

Tropicana Field is pretty pathetic, but if you like baseball, at least you can say you've been there. I've been there... :rolleyes2 . The ballpark is in St Pete, but easy to get to from Tampa.
We are Yankee fans and can concur that Tropicana is subpar, but it’s still a ball park. Great tickets to be had for low prices, friendly staff and very easy to get to and park at.

Berns is the best restaurant in Tampa and super unique, but for a chain, Ocean Prime delivers a great steak and is much easier to get into.

Bordering on OT, but as Rays fans, I feel compelled to defend The Trop. In our opinion, the best thing about the stadium is that it's covered. We love being able to comfortably watch games in any weather. When we go to a Rays home game, we know the game will be played & there won't be any major rain delays. I also don't have to worry about getting a severe sunburn like I did at the last Dolphins game we attended.

That said, I'm hoping they'll eventually build a stadium in Tampa with a movable roof that can be used in extreme weather. I'd rather not sit through pouring rain or bake in the sun.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter