Four Days in Tampa - wwyd?

Bordering on OT, but as Rays fans, I feel compelled to defend The Trop. In our opinion, the best thing about the stadium is that it's covered. We love being able to comfortably watch games in any weather. When we go to a Rays home game, we know the game will be played & there won't be any major rain delays. I also don't have to worry about getting a severe sunburn like I did at the last Dolphins game we attended.

That said, I'm hoping they'll eventually build a stadium in Tampa with a movable roof that can be used in extreme weather. I'd rather not sit through pouring rain or bake in the sun.
I agree, but that's not why the Rays play in the Trop. They play there because they haven't been able get funding to build a decent stadium.

Our Marlins played in Dolphins Stadium (by various names, now Hard Rock Stadium) for many years for the same reason, but we finally built Marlins Park. It not only has a retractable roof, but also has retractable glass walls in left field, so the place can really be opened up. It's not my favorite ballpark (PNC Park in Pittsburg) but at least it feels like baseball. The Trop feels like playing baseball in a gym to me, even though it was originally designed for baseball. But if you're a fan, it's better than not having a team.

For us the trip would be part Beach, part WDW. I know Tampa is lovely in it's own right but we live very far away and don't get to WDW or Disney very often :)

We absolutely love Clearwater and Clearwater Beach! Awesome restaurants, beautiful clean beach. Fun, vibrant feel.

We are Yankee fans and can concur that Tropicana is subpar, but it’s still a ball park. Great tickets to be had for low prices, friendly staff and very easy to get to and park at.

Berns is the best restaurant in Tampa and super unique, but for a chain, Ocean Prime delivers a great steak and is much easier to get into.
Could be because you are from CT in your profile. I don’t mean that in a bad way. There are just much better beaches close by. When one is on vacation they view things differently.

Could be because you are from CT in your profile. I don’t mean that in a bad way. There are just much better beaches close by. When one is on vacation they view things differently.
There are so many great beaches in Florida that it's hard to pick one. It just depends on what you want.

The east coast is the Atlantic Ocean, so you have real waves, more currents, and some amazing reefs for snorkeling/scuba. It's also much better for surfing, body surfing, and IMHO swimming. In the Atlantic, you do have to be aware of currents and especially undertow if there is a stiff wind blowing in from directly offshore.

Anywhere on the Gulf of Mexico, you have shallow water and much smaller waves. Because of that, the Gulf Coast is better for young kids, IMHO. Some of the Gulf Beaches from Clearwater south can be subject to red tide, and that is often during the warmer months.

Either coast is great for just sitting in the sun, looking at the water. Fishing is great on both coasts if that's an interest. Looking for seashells is great both coasts, and both coasts have both very vibrant tourist areas and very peaceful, sparsely-visited areas.

I appreciate your subjective opinion there are better beaches nearby. I’ve been to beaches all over Florida and all over the world and am glad different people can appreciate different things!

There are so many great beaches in Florida that it's hard to pick one. It just depends on what you want.

The east coast is the Atlantic Ocean, so you have real waves, more currents, and some amazing reefs for snorkeling/scuba. It's also much better for surfing, body surfing, and IMHO swimming. In the Atlantic, you do have to be aware of currents and especially undertow if there is a stiff wind blowing in from directly offshore.

Anywhere on the Gulf of Mexico, you have shallow water and much smaller waves. Because of that, the Gulf Coast is better for young kids, IMHO. Some of the Gulf Beaches from Clearwater south can be subject to red tide, and that is often during the warmer months.

Either coast is great for just sitting in the sun, looking at the water. Fishing is great on both coasts if that's an interest. Looking for seashells is great both coasts, and both coasts have both very vibrant tourist areas and very peaceful, sparsely-visited areas.
This is so spot on! In general, I prefer the west coast over the east, but my mom, who’s lived in Port Saint Lucie for years will take Jensen Beach over anything on the Gulf!

I appreciate your subjective opinion there are better beaches nearby. I’ve been to beaches all over Florida and all over the world and am glad different people can appreciate different things!
In @White Cat's defense, my subjective opinion is the same as theirs. However, it's your vacation, so you do you.

Wherever you go, be sure to have a great time!

In @White Cat's defense, my subjective opinion is the same as theirs. However, it's your vacation, so you do you.

Wherever you go, be sure to have a great time!
There’s no need for anyone to be defended or feel defensive! The whole point—and the point you made—is people enjoy different things and better/best is subjective. (And I don’t vacation in Florida anymore since we own property there and spend most of the year there—not sure if that qualifies me to say what beaches I enjoy or not!)

I hope OP’s family has a great visit and vacation! College visits are so fun!

(And I don’t vacation in Florida anymore since we own property there and spend most of the year there—not sure if that qualifies me to say what beaches I enjoy or not!)
We are trapped in a continuous vacation! Even in the 55F bitter cold we currently have in Miami (going down to 49F tonight), we are trapped in paradise!

And that gives us the right to enjoy whatever parts of the Sunshine State we like best. Honestly, you could drop me down just about anywhere and I'd be a happy puppy!

👆
And this is the reason why I want to move down here...And quickly..lol

We were there for a conference several years ago and stayed at the Marriott Water Street. The Aquarium is walking distance and very nice. There is a free trolley you can talk to Ybor City, which was fun. Eat at the Columbia Restaurant, very good and full of history. The River Walk is nice too. I had to find local things to do while DH was in meetings.

If you stay at the Marriott Water Street you will be right next door to Amalie Arena - home of the Tampa Bay Lightning. If you’re not a hockey fan (or they don’t have any home games during your visit) check out their concert schedule - they have some major artists there. We saw Queen pre-covid and friends saw Elton John.

Added - just checked ticketmaster and during April I saw these concerts - Bon Jovi, Journey, Elton John, Justin Bieber.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter