Free Dining Plan Review...Just Back

MariaEllerºoº

DIS Veteran
Ok, onto our experience of the free dining plan...I've never eaten so much food before in my life! LOL Each person receives one snack, one quick service and one table top service meal each day. So, if your staying for 5 nights you get 5 of each per person. With the quick service (counter service) you get an appetizer, meal, dessert and drink just as you do for table service meals. Just too much food for one person to eat every single day so the best way to work it is to split your meals with someone. We normally used our snack option to get a muffin (they're huge) for breakfast and we bought our refillable mugs so we didn't have to pay extra or use a credit for our drinks at breakfast or when we returned from the parks. We also used a counter service on some days for a bigger breakfast and would split it. Everyone talked about how hard it was to book an ADR during the time frame that we vacationed..August 27th through Sept. 2nd. Most restaurants that we went to there was no problem whatsoever in being able to walk up with out ADR's and being seated in a reasonable amount of time. I did notice that a lot of menu's have changed from what has been posted on Deb's wonderful site. That would be one thing that would be very hard to keep updated since the menu's change so frequently.

Before our free dining plan started we ate at Trail's End Buffet for breakfast before checking into the Caribbean Beach Resort. Absolutely the best breakfast around! All you can eat buffet with everything you could ever want for breakfast. To give a clue as to how low the crowds were there were only 4 other families eating at 8am at Trail's End. Never saw this before in my life! We were also the only two people shopping at the Trading Post. Man that was eerie to walk around the campground and shop in the Trading Post without seeing another soul around.

We ate counter service at Tusker House as our first counter meal on the free dining plan and this is when we concluded that it was best to split meals instead of ordering two meals each because after this meal I was too full to move. LOL I had the rotisserie chicken with mashed potatoes and veggies, drink and chocolate cake dessert. Justin had the turkey wrap with soup and chocolate cake for dessert. Our meal came to $28.50 but free with the free dining plan. Cha-ching!

Our first night on the dining plan we had ADR's for California Grill for 9:30pm, however, we showed up at 9pm and another couple in front of us had just arrived without having ADR's. They took us up to the restaurant at the same time. Justin and I were seated first and then they took the other couple who didn't have ADR's and sat them a few tables away from us. Since we showed up earlier than the time of our ADR's we were seated 2 tables away from the window...however...if we had arrived at the time of our ADR's we would have had a window table for sure since 3 tables opened up at 9:30pm. Pooey...oh well..we could still see everything very well from the table we were sitting at. After ordering we walked outside to the observation deck to snuggle while looking at the amazing view. Wow! What a view!!! I ordered the flatbread and Justin ordered the Yellowfin Tuna 3 ways sushi for an appetizer, we both ordered the Hearts of Romaine Salad as the first course, I ordered the filet and Justin ordered the New York Strip as the main course and then the banana custard for desert. Justin's New York Strip was out of this world delicious! I've never tasted a better steak in my life!!! It just melted in your mouth. We also received bread with our meals as well as the flatbread. Just too much food that I couldn't order a desert, but did taste Justin's. I didn't really care for his desert too much...the carmalized banana's tasted a bit burnt. Everything else was absolutely delicious and we'll definitely eat here again if we happen to have the dining plan! Even with it costing us 2 TS each it was worth every bit of it! The bill came to $135.46 but was free on the free dining plan. Cha-ching! I know gratuities are already included but our waitress was absolutely fantastic so we threw in an extra tip because she definitely deserved it.

Our second day at the parks we decided to do MGM. I didn't make any ADR's here since I figured we would just pick up something quick, but Justin decided he wanted to try Sci-Fi Dine-In. I told him of my experience there before and that I absolutely hated it, but if he still wanted to try it than I'll go along with it. So we walked up at 11:35 and were seated at 11:40 without having ADR's. I'm glad he talked me into it because it was very good this time around. Now, the day before I had learned my lesson of sharing meals after all the food we ate so we just ordered one meal and split it even though we didn't have breakfast as of yet because we had still been too full from our meals the day before. We ordered a chocolate shake, ice tea, cheeseburger, onion rings and the waiter had the kitchen cut everything in half and came out with two plates. Wow! I thought we would just share a plate...didn't expect them to cut everything in half. Our bill came to $29.71 but free with the free dining plan. Cha-ching!

That evening we had ADR's for Boma's at 5:30pm for 2, but because of Ernesto coming through my parents arrived earlier than expected and my brother who lives in Orlando wanted to join us so I called and switched our reservations from 2 people to 5 people and switched the time to 9pm instead of 5:30pm since my brother wanted to join us and had to wait for him. Boma's is still one of my top favorites! Out of this world delicious as it has always been. For Justin and I our meal came to $64.72 but free with the free dining. Cha-ching!

The next day we had originally had ADR's for Ragland Road that evening, but we were all having too much fun at the MK so we decided to cancel our ADR's for that evening and just stay at the MK. We ate counter service at Columbia Harbor House for lunch. I got a bowl of Clam Chowder, fries, dessert and tea. Justin got the 1/2 sandwich, soup, dessert and coke. Bill came to $28.64 but free with the free dining. Cha-ching!

That evening we ate at Casey's Corner since we were still pretty full from lunch. 2 hotdogs, chili, fries and 2 drinks and cracker jacks as dessert (lol)..yep, we got prizes too! I can't find my receipt at the moment but it was free with the free dining plan. Cha-ching!

The next day we had ADR's for Marakesh. Even though my chicken was a bit dry everything was absolutely delicious. We both got the Beef Brewat Rolls and the platter that you get to sample a bit of everything. The only thing that disappointed me was the chicken..it was very dry. Everything else was absolutely delicious as always. For the two of us our meal came to $70, but free with the free dining plan. Cha-ching!

The next day we had ADR's for San Angel Inn. Now this one was a new one for me. Never tried it before because I really don't care for mexican food, but Justin and my father both love it and I always wanted to at least try it once just for the atmosphere. We all got the nachos, Justin got the Puntas De Filete and I got the Camerones Con Fideos. Well, mine tasted like chef boy ardee...it was awful, but my mom liked it so we switched plates. She had ordered the Mahi-Mahi and it was absolutely delicious! Thanks mom! Your meal was a lot better than the chef boy ardee one that I had ordered. Aren't mom's nice? hehe I can't remember what our meal came to and can't find the receipt, but cha-ching it was free!

The rest of the snacks we used up on pastries in Norway and cheese, bread and pastries in France. Yummy!!! We also ate a counter service meal at the Polynesian at Captain Cook's. Captain Cook's isn't very convenient any longer since it's been moved due to renovations. Hopefully it will go back to being as nice as it use to be.

I could see where the dining plan could be very confusing in trying to keep track of points left if going with a family, but it's definitely worth it to purchase! I'm anxious to see if all the restaurants in Epcot will eventually be included on the plan for 2007 as it was this year. For $38 for adults and $11 for children 3-9 each day you really can't beat the dining plan, but you really can't beat it when it's free! hehe I also noticed that alot of CM's were unsure of how the plan exactly worked and what was and wasn't included which makes it even more confusing for some guests, but since I read about the plan on this site, Deb's site and Tagrel's site I knew what to expect and how it works. Mom is still lost and confused. LOL

Enjoyed reading your reviews ~ Thanx for sharing.

thanks for the great reviews!! Casey's Corner is one of my favorites, I love their hot dogs!!!!!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter