Free DP and ADR's

tacomaranch

Tacoma Ranch home of wild mustangs! We are all on
I just have not had a chance to get the planning done to do the ADR for our 9/27-10/2 holiday. Just making a hotel choice was hard.

Is it getting too late to make ADR's? Should we just go and try to get in? It seems so hard trying to figure out extended hours and dining. A person could make money planning this out for me!

Thanks, April at Tacoma Ranch :Pinkbounc

I'd go ahead and make as many ADRs as you can now, especially if there are specific places you want to go. I've heard of walk-ups being turned away because the restaraunts get so busy. We're going with free dining in August and made an ADR for every day we're there.

Definitely make ADRs. If you have kids, use at least some of the TS meals for character dining.

If not, be creative and try things you probably wouldn't take a chance on without the dining plan. I'm a big Le Cellier fan who still remembers when it was the best kept secret in WDW. Canadian food...who knew???

Good luck and have a wonderful vacation!

We are actually afraid to bring our one son out for nice dining as he has autism and at times can get hard to handle. No romantic dinner for us but still just a good meal and a person to serve it to us is special in it's own right.

I know most don't understand what on earth we deal with and why we can't get our son to behave in public but it is just what is in our life.

I think a few character dinners and it will be great.

Thanks for the help, April at Tacoma Ranch :Pinkbounc

Do try to make some ADRs now. Unfortunately, we saw several families turned away from TS restaurants in May. Even if you can't do a lot of planning, make ADRs. If they don't work out when you travel, you can always call and cancel them.

My logic was that if I had an ADR, I knew I would have a place to eat a sit-down dinner. Without an ADR, all bets are off.

You know best how your son reacts to things....he might enjoy character dinners (Chef Mickey's has a lot of celebration stuff), Garden Grill, Liberty Tree are some of the choices. He might like the atmosphere at 50s Prime Time (waiter telling Dad to eat his vegetables, elbows off the table, etc), or sitting in the cars at the Sci-Fi. WCC is another atmosphere place. At any of these, there are people moving around and the fun is a big part of it--if your son acts out, it is not likely to be a big deal.

If you wanted to go "fancy," Coral Reef might work. You can sit by the tanks and watch the fish! If he's totally in melt-down, oh well.....

We are going to be there 9/28 - 10/2, maybe we'll see you there! :sunny: my brother is also on the DIS boards I will get him to come check out your situation. He is great at figuring out all of the hours etc. Do not worry about how people will react to your son, it is Disney! We have ADR's already, which DB has had to change a couple of times and I know the last time we could not get one of our restaurants on the day that we wanted, so you definitely need to get busy!

Make you ADRs NOW!! With the free DDP, they are going fast.

How does your DS handle Buffets? There are some very nice character meals with a buffet. That would let one of you take care of him while the other hit the buffet. Most of the other TS character meals tend to be a little too 'stuffy' for him, I fear. Does he have a favorite character? That would help pick out some good choices for him.

If he has trouble handling noise levels, he may still be able to tolerate Chefs de France in EPCOT. It tends to be quieter than a lot of other restaurants and would give you a very nice dinner (or lunch) experience.

If you can give me some specifics, I may be able to help you some.

pixiedust:

I wouldn't be too worried about not being able to get your ADR's yet. I just made mine today for mid-September (14th-19th) and got every ressie I wanted, times and all. :yay:

Talk about a total surprise. I usually don't post much about my DS here as there is an entire board for folks like us.

I am so shocked to see such acceptance and support for taking my DS out for diner. All I can say is thank you so very much!

DS, Hunter is a wonderful great little 3 yr guy with high functioning autism. That means that just by looking at him, like all autistic kids he looks fine. Hunter has neurotypical eye contact, just like you and I, he has above average receptive language, he understands all that is said, but his language is very delayed and his understanding of logical consequence is nill. We are working hard using ABA.

For our dining plans. We arrive the 9/27 and plan to eat somethig while at the airport because it will cheaper than the resort and the kids love Burger King. Then to the POFQ for the evening and a boat ride to DD.

The next 5 days are ours to decide. ADR would depend on which resorts have extended evening hours. We are living in Mountain Time now so the early morning doesn't work. However, we are up till 2 am florida time.

What does everyone suggest? Last time he loved Crystal Palace but did break a glass bowl. Sounds are fine and the more movement the better.

Where should we eat? He love characters and he did well at the sci fi with the movies. That was the only TS meals we had last time we were there.

AGain, WOW, thanks for the open and welcome support for our DS Hunter.

:grouphug: to all for your help, April at Tacoma Ranch

tacomaranch said:
For our dining plans. We arrive the 9/27 and plan to eat somethig while at the airport because it will cheaper than the resort and the kids love Burger King. Then to the POFQ for the evening and a boat ride to DD.
:grouphug: to all for your help, April at Tacoma Ranch

Don't you have the free DDP? That would trump BK in value, but not necessarily taste. :rolleyes2 To be honest, we weren't very impressed with the Sassagoula Floatworks and Food Factory at lunch on our last stay (PO-R 5/3-5/8).

Wolfgang Puck's Express is an excellent CS at DTD if you can hold off for dinner that long.

Some good late night choices ...

Chefs de France (EPCOT) 7pm (or even a little later) to be in a good spot to watch IllumiNations after the meal. [We have ADRs for here on 9/29 - EMH at EPCOT]
Garden Grill (character meal) is another possible choice here.

1900 Park Fare (Cinderella's Gala Feast) - 10/1 is SpectroMagic and EMH in MK. Eat about 6pm and monorail (sit up front?) to MK after to watch SpectroMagic and Wishes - then use WMH to make it a late night. [we have ADRs here on 10/1]
Chef Mickey's would be another possible choice to make it into SpectroMagic and Wishes and EMH ... but, it is noisy! (Personally, the menu at 1900 PF sounds more appealing - YMMV).

Consider the Hollywood & Vine Fantasmic Package at MGM one night. [9/30 for us].

Donald's Breakfastosaurus is a nice character breakfast that is a great way to get a head start into AK before it opens.

With free DDP you can splurge on some restaurants you wouldn't normally try ...

and I would really get started on ADRs now for the time frame you are looking at. Other date may still be open, but I had problems with some restaurants for our stay (9/28-10/3) the last time I called.

If you can give me an idea what parks you want to do on what dates, I can help you narrow your choices down.

:surfweb:

Here's a link to some dining info from AllEarsNet - they've got it all! You can even check out the menus right there in the first paragraph with a link in the "What's on the Menu" paragraph.

http://www.allearsnet.com/din/dining.htm

Like everyone else has said, you really do need ADRs, but if you get to it sooner than later, you shouldn't have a problem.

Have fun! :goodvibes

A little addendum about the ADRs. I saw people turned away from H&V because they didn't have ADRs; People were told it would be at least an hour's wait to MAYBE get into Boma without an ADR; ... . On the other hand, 5 of us did a walk-up to Chefs de France for lunch BUT we got there just before they opened.

If you plan on going to a popular spot (and that includes ALL of the character meals), be safe and get the ADRs. :hourglass

Ok, I did some work on the ADR's last nite and this morning. I wanted to see what parks were open late to see where to eat. Of course when I printed from the website the 30th didn't print and that took about an hour. Finally this morning I just put everything onto a spreadsheet. The month split makes it hard.

So, I have the extended evening hours, now where to eat. Do you mind if we copy your schedule? I saw that Monday, Oct 1st starts the wine and food festival at Epcot! DH is happy about that.

Today, ADR's I promise.

Thanks again for the support and help. I am just not good at this.

April at Tacoma Ranch :Pinkbounc

Actually, F&W Fest starts Friday 9/29 :banana: That's why we are doing EPCOT that day.

Our current plans:

9/28 arrive (Pop). O'hanas 7:30pm :bday: - and Electric Water Parade if we can squeeze it in.
9/29 - F&W Fest EPCOT; Cafe de France 7pm with IllumiNations and EMH to follow
9/30 - Disney-MGM; maybe Whispering Canyon for Lunch; H&V Fantasmic 4:50pm
10/1 - AK; 4 y/o and parent/grandparents Donald's Breakfastosaurus :donald: 8:30; 1900 Park Fare 6pm; monorail to MK; SpectroMagic; Wishes; EMH
10/2 - Free for all day; Four at Chef Mickey's 5:40pm :bday: ; Four at WP Cafe 5:45pm; two others Boma 5:30pm (ME! :bday: )
10/3 return home :car: :drive: :wave2: :( :sad:

Feel free to use any of our schedule you want.

my ds was dx'd w/high functioning autism at age three as well... turns out he's not HFA at all, but rather ADD w/Sensory Integration Dysfunction and delayed fine motor skills (he's9yo now)... anyway, that being said, some of the restaurants that were best for us were the character buffets as well as the table service restaurants w/"action" (i.e. 'ohana, esp breakfast w/the little parade and such) as well as garden grill (because the booths keep your family private but the character interaction is outstanding) plus biergarten in germany has the oompah band and such to keep him stimulated but not overloaded (there is a verrrry fine line for ds)...

keep in mind that disney is full of kids of all abilities... i would not worry too much and just relax and enjoy...

also, go for some adrs, maybe one for each park... you can always call the night before and change it as there are often last minute cancellations...

meshmar said:
Actually, F&W Fest starts Friday 9/29 :banana: That's why we are doing EPCOT that day.

IT DOES?!?!?!?! wow!! we've got it planned for Monday the 2nd, but maybe we'll head there saturday night after AK instead of dinner at AP (or WCC) [or are saturday nights too crowded w/locals?] oooh, i'm excited! :Pinkbounc

Once again, WOW, I didn't know the food and wine started early? I am so happy to be able to have an adult thing to do while also enjoying the kids having fun.

We will definately go to the garden grill and Biergarten. I know he likes sci fi and crystal palace, the rest I have to get lined out.

I thought it was suppose to be fun to plan rather than a chore? I really want to enjoy making plans for our trip but life is so busy!

Anyone know what I mean?

Thanks, April :Pinkbounc

You really want "fun" :headache: planning a trip ... try it with three familys and 10 people in a "Grand Gathering"! First it started out just four of us; then it was two groups of four; then it was add one more; finally add another one! Making ADRs for 8 was ok; adding one more wasn't too bad; then you add another. ADRs for 10 are TOUGH! You get it all ironed out; everyone's happy :grouphug: ; then ... they want to totally change around several restaurants! This last time we couldn't get all the ADRs we wanted when we wanted. I came close enough to satisfy everyone ... and told them next time it was the "Wheel of MisFortune". I was going to put the names of TS on a wheel and spin it - whatever turned up was IT! Not a peep out of anyone since :cool1: :rolleyes1

Now all I have to do is grow back all the hair I pulled out :chewy:

Actually, I don't mind the planning (a touch of OCD helps here :thumbsup2 ). What I don't really like is everyone trying to second guess my well thought out plans :rolleyes1 . In the past, my planning for just 4 or 5 of us has gone over pretty well. This was a learning experience! Next time ...

Everyone :rainbow: :rainbow: seems to be ready to roll with my latest effort. One has even said, "I've never been on a FOOD vacation before!".

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter