French onion soup - Where is the best?

Pirate6518

Earning My Ears
Looking to see what the boards opinion is on the best french onion soup on property. My wife really enjoys it and I'd like to book a place for our next trip that has the best reviews for the soup. I know it sounds strange, but I'd like to know I at least tried! We have done BOG and she very much enjoyed it. If opinions are it's the best, prolly will book another reservation.

I don't know which is 'best' but other options include:
Grand Floridian Cafe,
Chefs de France,
Boatwright's,
Yachtsman Steakhouse (yikes - $15),
T-Rex (neat atmosphere if you have never been there.), and
Shula's (both lounge and the steakhouse).

There may be others.

I have enjoyed French Onion Soup at Shula's, Steakhouse 71, and Chefs de France. My favorite would be Shula's although the others were really good too.

Chefs de France was #1 for me followed by either Be Our Guest or Steakhouse 71. I like the one at Chefs because it does not taste super salty like most french onion soup does.

I also love French Onion Soup. I've had it at Steakhouse 71, Chefs de France, and Grand Floridian Cafe, and I would say they were all great.

Always loved french onion soup and seek it out whenever I can. At Disney World, I consider the two best ones to be Yachtsman Steakhouse and Shula's. Both have good, classic beefy sherry-laden broths, just the right amount of salt, big plentiful hunks of onion, nice amount of gruyere cheese, just a bit browned, and a good crouton floater.

Grand Floridian Cafe's version is decent - could use a bit more sherry in the broth.
Steakhouse 71 was good - I found the broth a bit too heavy on the sherry, but otherwise still tasty.
T-Rex is serviceable - they don't use gruyere, or a blend maybe, but the broth is not bad and decent amount of onions. A little salty.
Turf Club's version actually has a very good broth, but the crouton and cheese is not traditional and thick the way I'd like.
Chefs De France for me was too thin, not enough onions, and not enough salt and sherry.
Be Our Guest wasn't my favorite as it tasted like a very thin, vegetarian type broth - french onion soup to me requires a good thick animal stock and sherry/brandy wine for the right broth thickness and saltiness as well as flavor.

I liked the one at Chefs, had lots of cheese and I liked the broth used. Had a huge bowl of it with the three piece meal deal.

Chefs de France
As I always say, if it’s not baroque...Don’t Fix It

Either you are a fan of the original Dick Van Dyke show (the best sitcom ever) or this line comes from someone who was.

[Edit]
Correcting myself. As I recall now the exchange was.

Harrison B. Harding: These are baroque pearls.

Richie: I didn't bareak them.

Of course, this is all lost on those of you too young to have experienced this show. :)

Last edited:
Boatwrights at Port Orleans-Riverside has very good French onion soup. My sister loves it because they can make a gluten-free soup.

I have realyl only had it at Be Our Guest, but I thought it was very good there. I know some people will knock that place, I but I've always had a great experience and great food too.

I'll put the picture first.....and then below the location. It was outstanding.

1711985206245.png

Boatwrights Dining Hall

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter