• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Friend returned from Orlando - their friends robbed at HRH

Puffy2

DIS Veteran
A friend of mine told me today that while on a trip at the end of June, their friends who were staying at HRH had $1,000.00 robbed from one of their suitcases that was left in their room.
Personally, I wouldn't leave that kind of cash in the room, but this is still rather disturbing especially since they said HRH management didn't have a lot to say about it. A police report was filed. THe couple checked out the same day and went elsewhere for the remainder of their trip.
Any other reports like this?

This is tragic, but I wonder why they left $1,000 in a suitcase. If I had that much money, I'd either convert it to traveler's checks or put in the room safe.

Wow...I have to agree why would they loose that much money in a suitcase? Doesn't make much sense to me. I would definatly have gotten travelers checks or at least had the money in the safe. I do feel sorry for them though!

There is a safe in every room. No reason to have money anywhere someone could get theeir hands on it. Sorry for their loss--it can happen anywhere.

Here's a tip for your friend,

DON'T LEAVE A THOUSAND DOLLARS IN A SUITCASE!!!!!!

If you have that much cash, hold onto it or put it in the safe!

Use traveler's checks, credit cards, or your ATM card if you need cash. There is no reason to have THAT MUCH with you when on vacation in the US.

If you were working in a hotel for minimum wage and saw a thousand dollars cash lying in someone's bag, it would tempt you too! BE SMART!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm sorry to hear that--that's disgusting that happened to them.

I am appalled at the thought of an employee digging through someone's suitcase in their hotel room!!

I am not naive, I know there are some dishonest hotel workers around, but you usually hear about theft when someone has left something in plain sight and then it becomes soooo tempting for the unethical, immoral crook of an employee; however, opening and digging through a suitcase in search of something to take is even more of a violation!

HRH should have some type of crime insurance that should cover at least part of their loss. There may be an exception to coverage if a safe is provided. It depends on the policy language. Also, it is very easy for HRH to detemine who entered the room at what time from the electronic entry logs. This would ID the housekeeping staff who were in the room. I would not let this drop. I would follow up with HRH and ask if they reported this to their insurance carrier and make it clear you expect to hear from them.

I would have been very upset if this happened to my family and I wish your friends luck in trying to recover their money.

There's a nice sized safe in the room--they should have used that. And why CASH? Everyone knows to carry most of your money in travelers checks. I even put our extra travelers checks in the safe until I needed them. What an awful thing to happen on vacation, but they should have been more careful.

I agree with all of you - I would never leave that kind of cash (or any cash really) in the room.
Hard Rocks site says they have safes in the room - no idea why these people didn't use it.
How secure are these safes ? I've wondered about that - it seems like anyone with access to your room would also have access to an extra safe key? I've always wondered if the safes are a false sence of security? Any insight into that?

I would love to stay at Hard Rock when we go to Universal but I must admit, I'm more concerned - especially since I've heard about the car break ins on these boards. Do you think they will beef up security? Also, would a Club room be safer with more limited access?

I don't know if club rooms really are more secure. We were on the elevator and someone got on to go to the club floor---he had to swipe his card/key before he pushed the floor number. We could just as easily have gotten off on his floor if we wanted.

Sounds like a 'friend of a friend of a friend' story to me. Why on earth would anyone leave $1000 in a suitcase in their room, especially when a nice safe is provided in the room for free?

And what's HRH supposed to do? Believe everyone who comes up and tells them that $1000 in cash is missing from their luggage? :confused:

johare,

Iwas thinking the same. It would be so easy to go up to the front desk and claim that anything had been stolen. I always travel with travelers checks and a small amount of cash. I would
NEVER leave cash in a room.

Plus, I have problems with friend of a friend stories.

But I will be careful on my upcoming trip.

Patty

btw: The safes seem pretty secure. When you put your stuff in them you need to enter a 4 digit code on a keypad. Once this is done the safe locks and you need to enter the code again to open it. I don't think it's that easy to open it without the code. When we were there someone forget/lost their code and they had to send up two people from security to help them gain access to the safe.

They are also pretty large. I kept my Digital8 Camcorder, Palm Pilot, cellphone and wallet in ours when we went to use the pool.

The safes are definitely secure for cash/wallets/cell phones. I don't like the safes they have though, because unlike the safes at some other hotels in Orlando I've stayed at, they really aren't big enough. We travel with two laptop computers among other things (*insert internet junkie jokes here*), and I don't think the HRH safe would be big enough for even one of them. Safes at other hotels I've stayed at however can hold two computers easily and even more (you usually have to turn the computer sideways to get it in 'em, but it will rest flat on the floor of the safe and you can get a second computer in too, then tons of stuff on top of that).

My brother had his laptop stolen at Atlantis in the Bahamas ... I told him that he should have put it in the safe (which the room had), and he does now in such cases. Atlantis did end up giving him some $$$ (in addition to the computer he lost a couple grand worth of software), and between the money Atlantis gave him and his company's insurance, he came out of the deal okay.

Valuables can also be checked at the Front Desk for extra security.

Items stolen from hotel rooms, parking lots, etc... can and does happen everywhere. Just take as much precaution as possible and be wise.

i'm mean yes it was stupid to put $1,000 in suitcase people do snoop at hotels. But we have to remember that we are tourists. Tourists tend to let their guard down while on vacation. Even I sometimes do but then realize it.

Would the kids C D players fit into the safe.??We travel with those and will have 3 of them. Also, I guess I'm crazy, but I carry the money in my fanny pack. Someone would have to pry it off me to get the money, or I guess if it broke I might have a problem. I assume I would know if it came off.

I was happy with the safe at HRH. We had stayed the week before at the Swan and their safe was too small and could not hold both my Passporter and wallet! The one at the HRH could hold both and my jewelry bag, and still had room.

I have been at many hotels, and only once did I ever have a safe that could hold a laptop and that was an old floor- mounted model with a key at the Islander Inn in Lahaina. I have been in CBR, ASM, and Hyatt in Orlando and all had smaller safes than the HRH.

It is weird how relaxed people get on vacation and do unsafe things. Many tourists here leave their purses/wallets on the beach while they go swimming???? :confused: What can they be thinking? I once had a lady in an airport ask me to keep an eye on her baby while she went to the bathroom??? (I was sitting next to her and we had not exchanged a word before she asked!):eek:

I am sorry for your friends, but it is a pretty hard story to believe and maybe management did not believe them??? It could have happened, but ...

BTW I seem to remember when housekeeping cleaned the rooms they left the doors open (in fact, I was nosy and would look in at rooms as I passed down the hall :o ). So I think it very unlikely that housekeeping would search a bag with the door open.

I have heard of and seen videos of baggage handlers doing quick searches at the airports. Are they sure the money was taken when the bag was in the room? Didn't they have a lock on their suitcase?

It's a fairly common scam to report stolen money in the hopes of recouping some of your vacation expenses on an insurance claim. I find it interesting that the theft was not $983 or $865 or even $1,023, but a nice even grand. Hmmm.

In New York, they usually tell the police they were mugged in Central Park.

As a frequent visitor to the Universal resort hotels, let me say again, I have ALWAYS been treated graciously and courteously. I have NEVER had a bad experience. I know there are many here who will agree.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter