Friend says I will be disapointed. Will I really?

Disney Fans

Disney Fans
:confused3 I have a friend that says since I have been to WDW the past couple of years if I go to DL I will be very disapointed. She said that compared to WDW it is so much smaller not nearly as much to do and after two days I will want to go home? I haven't been to DL since I was about 7 years old so I don't remember that much but having fun.
We are trying to plan a trip for 6 nights and 7 days and have hopper tickets for 6 days. Is it true that I will be unhappy about have so many days planned for DL???
Please let me know what you think :confused3

It is true that DLR is much smaller and more compact than WDW. It's also true that there is much less to do. If you go to WDW to golf and enjoy water sports, and if Epcot is your favorite park, than you will likely be disappointed in DL. If you expect the DLR to be very similar to WDW, then you may be disappointed. But most people who love WDW also love DL; it's just different. I love WDW, but I have no trouble spending 6 days at DL (I did last August, and ended up converting my PH to APs because we were ready for more). Many people feel 3 or 4 days is enough, but between DTD, DCA, the resort hotels and, of course, the original DL, I think you will be able to enjoy six days, especially if you are staying at the DLH or GCH.

(But if you do start to get bored, you can rent a car and take a day trip to San Diego, Hollywood, the beach, or any number of other places).

It depend's on what you mean, if you mean ALL of WDW then yeah, you will be disappointed. Since there are more park's and water parks, and golfing and things etc. and WDW is bigger then DL. But if you mean magic kingdom then you will probally like DL much better, at DL there are many more things to do then at magic kingdom and the rides in magic kindom are more better at disneyland(pirates,space,etc.).

I did one day at DL about a month ago and had a great time. I was prepared for to be smaller but honestly, once I got inside and started walking, it didn't feel much smaller. It has a lot of the same things there as does WDW. THe difference is at DL, you will go to one park instead of hitting 4 parks. It don't have all the same rides but some.

It has some things with the same name but are different on the inside. Example would be Space Mountain. Same name but it seems like a cross of the WDW ride and RNR, as it plays music and is faster than its counterpart.
Another example would be Buzz Lightyear. I believe the one at DL is better. You can pull the laser out of the holder to get a better aim at the targets, instead of staying in the holster. POC is better, also.

Things that will disappoint you. You will look at the Castle and be astounded at how small it is. Once you've seen Cinderella's Castle, you would expect all the Castle's to be that big but they are not. The Monorail is rather small as well. The track is actually so low to the ground that you could touch it while standing flat footed.

Stuff that is the same will be like Honey I Shrunk the Audience. Everything about that show is identical. No changes here.

I didn't have time to visit California Adventure so I can't comment on that. Maybe if I get to go back out next year and California Screamin is opened back up.

Hope some of this helps but overall, I had a great time. You will too.

You have to take DL for what it is. Two nights, three days was plenty for us to cover both parks. A week would be great if you are planning on visiting the other attractions in the area.

Yes, it is a much smaller area to cover. We loved California Adventure park. We rode the attractions that were different in DL than at WDW. We thought the food was the biggest disappointment, and the GC resort is highly over rated, just like the GF is at WDW.

The nicest castmembers and managers were at the DL resort, if we ever plan another trip we would definately stay there.

We feel DL is one of those trips you need to do once or twice in a lifetime

I have never been to WDW. But I have heard from a few friends that they prefer Disneyland/CA.
We hummed and hawed for the last month debating which one to go to. We decided on DLand. We are excited to see it in 'Christmas' mode!

We spent 5 days there last time. 2 in DL, 2 in CA, then the last day we hit all of our favorites again, went to another show, took our time, ate fun food, shopped a bit. Then day 6 we went to Downtown Disney (which you don't need a pass to get into), ate at the Rainforest Cafe, shopped.

We are doing 5 days again. If we get bored, we will leave and go to Medieval Times, Wax museum or somewhere else. But the prices between a 4 day and a 5 day are very close. This way we can always go somewhere else in the day, then go back for fireworks at night!

You will love it, it is so much fun!

I have been to all Disney parks except Tokyo Disney Seas (they were building it when we visited DL-T) and the new Hong Kong Disneyland We have tenative plans to visit both in 2007. Disneyland, California is my absolutely favorite park of any them. There is an intimacy to Disneyland which is not found anywhere else. Looking for Disney magic? What place can be more magical than where Walt himself walked? Since DLR is so much smaller, there is no feeling that you need to rush to-and-fro to get everything in and still miss a lot.

We're annual passholders who go to WDW 2-3 times a year. In just one week I will be come a both-coast annual passholder :). We're picking up Deluxe APs (with my $20 DVC discount) which will cover our upcoming impromtu trip and our planned March trip (yes, I checked black-out dates and we're fine!).

I think the differences in Fantasyland alone will sway you to the west side! I couldn't believe how flat and boring WDW's was! It was very spread out and had nowhere near the charm of DL's. Take your time to enjoy the differences! You will love it.
I agree with above poster, Our Buzz is better and I think our Space Mountain is too. You will miss RNR and Mickey's Philharmagic, but it will be a blast. You will probably see some of the things at CA that I have never taken the time to see, and I have been a passholder since it has been open. Don't miss the Aladdin show!

I just got back from WDW and go to DL all the time. They are very different types of vacations, but as far as picking one park as a favorite, it is hands down - DL for me. Six days may be too many. I always think 4-5 is best, depending on the crowds. There is so much more to do in So Cal, I would plan an outing (a non park day) one day in the middle of the week. Have a wonderful time, whatever you decide.

I go to WDW all the time, twice a year usually and one of the trip is an 8night/9day trip and that's not enough... :teeth: hehe...

and I went to DL/DCA earlier this month and spent a day and a half.
I personally think 4 nights/5 days is the perfect number.
that way you won't get the blisters under your feet like I did... :teeth: and still cover both parks.

Have fun!

I love both destinations for different reasons and if I can visit DL more often I would. But 5hr flight each way is waaay too much... :)

I agree with the other posters in this thread. Just planning a trip to WDW looks like a week..minimum. And then, you still wouldn't be able to see everything. DLR is nice in that it can be done within 4-5 days. The compactness of DL makes it nice, no far traveling, easy walking distances, and plenty of time to do/see things more than just once. Being a SoCal local, there's also so much to do in the area. Beaches are a tad chilly this time of year, but still nice to visit if you haven't done so. Orange County also has Knott's, Medieval Times, and if you're a hockey fan, there's always The Anaheim Ducks.

The LA area is 45min-1hr away, and that area in itself has a different feel than Orange County (Hollywood, Santa Monica, Universal Studios, etc). The San Diego (1hr the other direction) area has Legoland, Wild Animal Park, SD Zoo, and Sea World.

So, whatever fits your tastes, there are plenty of things to do and see. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

We're going to DL and spending 8 nights. I have been assured that this is not too much time (we won't be doing anything but Disney). We've been twice before, but both trips were before DCA. I plan to take it very easy, use Fastpass to avoid waiting in line, and do everything we want as often as we want. I want to see shows, soak in the atmosphere and explore DTD (which I have seen but my family hasn't).

In 2004, we did 8 nights at WDW, came away exhausted and wished we had more time to get everything done (never saw Illuminations and would have liked to have seen Wishes from Main St., for example). I'm planning this trip to be relaxing.

Thanks so much for your advice and if you have any additional thoughts- anyone- please feel free to talk some more! Tips would be also great! I am feeling better about the number of days- thanks!

I think people who only go to one park because they think they've seen it "all" there are missing out. DL has a lot to offer because it is original, cozy, and it was Walt's home.

WDW has "more" and you can certainly spend a lot more time there, but after just spending 4.5 days at DL and CA, I can honestly say would could have spent more time in the parks, taken a slower pace, and spent time at DTD.

If you have "Extra" time you can always do a tour. I took the "walk in Walt's footsteps" tour a decade ago and enjoyed it. I'm not sure what tours are going on these days...

If you loved DL as a kid, I'm sure you'll love it now. Go on the Story book boats and have fun!

I have been to all Disney parks except Tokyo Disney Seas (they were building it when we visited DL-T) and the new Hong Kong Disneyland We have tenative plans to visit both in 2007. Disneyland, California is my absolutely favorite park of any them. There is an intimacy to Disneyland which is not found anywhere else. Looking for Disney magic? What place can be more magical than where Walt himself walked? Since DLR is so much smaller, there is no feeling that you need to rush to-and-fro to get everything in and still miss a lot.
I so agree, and I feel the same. I love DL better than any other Disney park (I may feel differently after being to DL-T and Disney Sea in a few months--so I can't say for certain yet! :teeth: ).
It was so wonderful being up in the Disney Gallery seeing drawings of what Walt's apartment was supposed to be like...watching Fantasmic from his balcony... :goodvibes
I love WDW, don't get me wrong, and each Disney park has its own specialties, but DL is my fave. I am biased though. :teeth: The 50th celebration makes it even more magical!

I always like to spend 5 days there....I don't think my family does as much, but I never get sick of it. I even wanted to go another day while they went to Knott's and I really wish I would have. I have friends that go 7 days, and they say its wonderful because they can go at their own pace, and relax and enjoy things and shows more!

We like to spend 5 or 6 days. We'll do rides early or late, then spend the afternoons shopping, hanging by the pool, or just being together as a family without any stressors. It's a vacation!!!

We have been to both and love both. There are things we prefer about WDW and things we prefer about DL. They are very different experiences - fun, but different! :cheer2:

DLR is alot smaller than WDW, but DL itself is alot more detailed than MK... in fact, my whole family was dissapointed in MK, but we loved Epcot, even the kids. We had done DL several times before going to WDW.

And, my ? to Bubba73..... HOW TALL ARE YOU? My DH is 6' 2", and he can't even come close to touching the monorail track!!!!! LOL!!! :rotfl2:

I've not been to WDW so can't compare, but thought I'd throw in my two cents worth.

We are two journalists who have traveled extensively, seen some amazing things and met many very important people, yet we'd still rate our first day at Disneyland last December as being just about the best thing we've done anywhere.

It wasn't just the rides, it was the magic of the place, the cast members the attitude everything - just magic.

But the rides were superb, much better than what we had expected.

If you've been to WDW then the rides won't be a surprise, but my advice would be to not come comparing it with WDW or anywhere else. Just accept it is a lot smaller, it is not as extensive as WDW then take it for what it is - a wonderful, magical and compact place to enjoy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter