Friend says I will be disapointed. Will I really?

Sometimes bigger is not necessarily better. Yes, I do love WDW, but the place can be pretty exhausting. DL seems to have a more peaceful feel to it. After several days there, we actually felt like we'd been on a "vacation" rather than an "expedition".

Living on the West Coast and having visited both parks I have figured out the trick...take your time! Go slow and enjoy the coziness of Disneyland...and, most importantly: don't try to compare the two. Disneyland is special and just think...Walt loved that park and spent a lot of time there, that makes it very special!

I had very limited expectations the first time we visited DL. We're WDW vets and from the description in the unofficial guide, which is our favorite guidebook, DL and DCA sounded like two big theme parks in the middle of parking lots.

I found it to dramatically exceed expectations. When you're in the parks, it's every bit as good as WDW. In fact, I found DL to be better than the MK, particularly fantasyland. There's a quaintness about it that's difficult to explain. DL is just a great park. Plus, the whole set up of DL/DCA is just so much more manageable, particularly if you stay at the GC, which at certain times of year is less expensive than a WDW deluxe. There also is something to the east coast/west coast feel -- it's impossible to put your finger on, but DL is just a little more laid back.

Once you get outside the parks, the story changes. If what you love about WDW is staying on site and being enveloped in the "world" for 24 hours a day for several days in a row, you'll be disappointed. DL just can't compare on that front. But disney understands that, and they don't even try.

I went to DL for 3 days in Sept, and I didn't really think I had enough time. One thing that I would recommend is the Walk in Walt's Footstep tour. It tells you a lot about Walt and DL, lets you go inside the lobby of Club 33, and it'll eat up a good chunk of one day and give you lunch/dinner. ;) And there are other tours, if you're interested.

I could have used more time there so that I didn't get so tired, so I think having more days would be nice. (And my feet really didn't think it was smaller.) Have fun!

I just got back from DL. It was my first visit ever to Walt's original vision and I went SOLO. I am a huge WDW fan and have spent waaay too much time there throughout the years (if there is such a thing). I'm in Houston and I've spent about a month - total - down at WDW in the past 6 months alone after purchasing my AP. Furthermore, I've been going to WDW on an average of every other year since the 80's.

Anyways, The MK in Florida cannot even hold a match to Disneyland. The intimacy and attention to detail just about caused me to fall over in Anaheim. I could have died in DL and it has really left me quite dissapointed with The MK in Florida. Everything at Disneyland is so gorgeous and there is so much more feeling and magic lurking in that park. I thought just about every identical ride at DL was in better shape, had much better detailing / artistry, and simply touched my heart and child inside more profoundly than I ever expected. DL truly makes the MK in FL seem like a Six Flags joint and I sincerely hope the new management plan at Disney allows them to spruce up the place a bit. The closest thing to DL in Florida as far as detail and beauty goes is the AK and we all know that that park still needs a lot of work as far as attractions go...EE is a darn good start it seems.

I stayed in Anaheim for 3 nights and 4 days. One day was solely for travel. Therefore, I spent 2 and 1/2 days at the DL resort and I was getting a bit tired of things by the last day. I think a 4 day trip is perfect for the place...anything else, strictly on-site, would get a bit old. I rode everything about 5 times while I was there but the crowds were light with the exception of Friday which was utter INSANITY (only night of the week with Fireworks and Fantawsmic).

California Adventure is pretty lame IMHO. I was only interested in about 4 attractions there and did not spend more than 6 hours total there during my vacation. The theming at one of the best attractions, The TOT, is really weak in comparison to Florida's version. I enjoyed Turtle Talk the best and skipped Soarin' because I had taken over 8 rides on it this year down in Florida already.

The food out at the parks was tough to sort out. It was hard finding a quality meal. I find eating at WDW to be much easier and a more pleasurable experience. All the food offerings at WDW truly adds another dimension to your trip to Florida...not so at DL. One day, I just gave up and packed my jacket with a bag of trail mix and ate while I was on the go. I enjoyed my fair priced meal and the great service at Mimi's Cafe the best which was located across the street from the Howard Johnson where I choose to stay. I would have picked the DL hotel and really enjoyed walking through that resort but I decided to goto Anaheim and planned my trip a mere 7 days before I left. The Ho-Jo was perfect and I couldn't have been happier there. I will stay there again in a heartbeat on my next trip if I cannot get a room at The DL hotel. The GC looks WAAAAY overated just as most Disney Deluxe Resorts are in comparison to say some of the 4 or 5 diamond resorts in Vegas.

Overall, I fell in love with Disneyland and I am going to make a vow to make it out there at least once a year in order to re-charge my "magic batteries."

There's my two pennies....4 times the magic as The MK in FL but 4 times smaller as far as things to do and see overall....hope this helps a bit.

-J

What I find interesting is that I believe there are more attractions at Disneyland than there are at Magic Kingdom.

I am a die hard WDW fan. Before my first trip to DL I was a bit unsure how I would like it. My family and I were all pleasantly surprised. Many of the rides were better in DL and the rides in CA were so different.

I loved the fact that you could walk from hotel to park to park and home again.

While it is "similar" to WDW, it isnt supposed to be the same. It's a totally different experience. IMO, you cannot compare the 2. And for what it is, its just as magical as WDW...just a different type of magic.

I have stayed in Disneyland Hotel and Paradise Pier and thought both were great! Well themed, great rooms and service, and of course, the location is wonderful.

For someone who thought they would never go to DL, I have flown across country to go there twice in the past 3 months and I will be going again in February. :cool1:

We adore DL/DCA for completely different reasons than we love to go to WDW. WIthout going into all of them - DL was home through our childhood - so that helps! I do completely agree about Fantasyland..... what were they thinking in FL???? ANyway, It's truly amazing the number of rides/shows/attractions they have packed into the 2 parks in CA as opposed to the way they are spread out in the 4 parks in FL. We were comparing the 4 to the 2 on their maps a while back, and really - EPCOT aside - there isn't much in WDW you're missing by going to DL! In fact - our kids' favorite part of WDW is EPCOT - whereas they love DL in CA - they can tell the difference themselves, I guess.
Once you start walking through DTD towards the parks - away from the street traffic - and you acctually get to the entrances - you forget how close they are to the city. It doesn't matter anymore that they aren't surrounded by acres of Disney greenbelt!
Our family actually really enjoys DCA as well. We realy like Redwood Creek Challenge Trail - think Disney did a wonderful job with this. Love Soarin' (which is now at EPCOT as well), I think Grizzly River Run is better than Kali River Rapids (better drops), California Screamin' is a great coaster, and the ferris wheel has beautiful views of both parks at night. There really is a lot to do there!
We went for 3 days and still could have easily spent another 2 to finish off the parks!
As far as tips - you've done WDW - same kids of line strategies -Fantasyland and Dumbo early. Definately do Storybookland Canal Boats - it was Walt's favorite - and Casey Jr Circus Train (even if they are too young for your group). Mr Toad's Wild Ride is still there so don't miss it! If you have time - try the Goofy's Kitchen Character Breakfast at the DLH - we really enjoyed it. Don't miss the Blue Bayou restaurant - it's the one that overlooks the boats as they go into the Pirates ride - great atmosphere - get a water side table!
Fantasmic tip - if you aren't doing the desert buffet - try the 2nd Fantasmic seating - there are less people - try to get a seat right after the fireworks are over so that you won't have to wait as long. I don't know how this will workk with the 50th going on - haven't been there with that craziness! Bit yo can give it a shot!!! DL Fantasmic is much better, by the way, we were so excited to go see Fanstasmic at MGM - and walked away so disappointed by it!!! Had our expectations up from seeing it so many times at DL!
Have a wonderful time! I'm sure you'll enjoy it! :flower:

My now 7yo DD said it best when she first viewed the DL Castle 3 years ago: " Who shrunk the castle?" It was one of those comparisons that she was able to express. We like both parks, but find that DL has many more entertaining touches. At times WDW feels like a foot race as everyone rushes to get from attraction to attraction. DCA is probably the worst theme park we have ever been to. While there are many dining options listed, the are reduced hours both at the park and at the food offerings. WDW is the winner for best dining options. Our resorts here in California are priced more affordably due to the location of competitors directly across the street.
We like WDW and DL and have been to both many times. For a more relaxed visit and less stressful vacation, DL wins every time. Be sure to plan your day and set aside time for a nice sitdown meal each day. Eat at Ariel's in DCA and request an outside table, go to the DL Hotel and have a late brunch at Goofy's Kitchen. Be sure to have a meal at the Blue Bayou(sp) - the atmosphere is great. Go to the PP hotel and have breakfast with Lilo and Stitch. You will have a great time and remember, DL started it all!

Thankyou so much for your thoughts! For one like me that likes to get as much info as I can these are really helping me understand better!
Please if anyone else has any other thoughts - let me know! and thanks again! :goodvibes

I live very near DL and DCA so we go ofter. I love both parks but I do not have a favorite. I love WDW and it is magical to our family since there is so much to do and it is something different.

You will have a lot of fun on your visit to the DR. The extra days will allow for you to go back for favorites and take a break in the afternoon to just relax! The parks are crowded due to the 50th celebration so having that extra time will come in handy.

I agree - take a tour. They are lots of fun and you may learn something you did not know about the parks.

Have a great time!

Desiree

We went in August to DL thinking it was our second choice(couldn't swing the airfare to WDW for baby's first Disney trip). I grew up only going to WDW as we grew up in the midwest. Even after moving to OR, the kids' first Disney trip was WDW. But, that said, we absolutely loved DL. :goodvibes It's so much more picturesque than MK. The storybook boats was my favorite. Try to ride it both in the day and evening. The kids loved Casey Jr. I have to admit DH and I enjoyed being in the monkey cage on the train, too. ;) (Just to steal a kiss after all this is a family place :) )My DS's being Dinosaur and train fans enjoyed the diorama between TL and Main Street. We rode that section several times. We spent 5 1/2 days there and missed a few shows. But we have 4 young kids and went during summer when crowds are bigger. We also had to stop more often to feed the baby. How long you need depends on when you're going and the size and ages in your family. :confused3 We thought DCA was OK. The theming wasn't spectacular and it wasn't very pretty, but there was some nice rides. The Block Party parade was great, we watched it twice and the boys still want to see it again. DH and I just loved the Electrical Parade. I would recommend giving it an open mind and try to go during the 50th when they have all the Golden rides and the FW. And see the FW from the hub at least once. If you don't you're missing the whole point to the show, IMO. :teeth: I think WDW and DL can't really be compared in the end because they're 2 different resorts and experiences. I can now say I love both and hope to continue visiting both on family vacations to come. :love: Now if only I can convince DH of visiting the other Disney parks. :rolleyes:

In my opinion I compare DL with MK in WDW, not one resort against another. DL is Walt's own, he was never in WDW and it shows in the many details that the Florida park lacks.

Also, DL is smaller but has more rides that are closer together so it's very easy to ride more rides per day. Add to that the weather is not nearly as hot & humid, and the fact that DL has rides that you won't find in WDW and you can see why DL is my personal favorite of all of the parks.

I have been to Florida much more often than to Cal. because there are more parks there and my family loves it there, but my heart belongs to the original.

Having been to Disneyland twice and WDW once- with the trips spread over a 25 year period, I have a unique view of this.

Since I can't afford to go yearly...or multiple times a year like some folks here...I don't go with a check-off list. The things we enjoyed we did multiple times. We rode Soarin' four times...and I wish we'd gotten in a couple more rides!

I agree with everyone here...there is a lot to do in Southern California. You can take day tours to other parks if you don't have transportation and are bored. I'm sure your hotel will have info on these things. We had 3 1/2 days at the parks...and could have easily expanded what we did to fill another two days. Mind you, I was with a 4 year old and 10 year old and it was Memorial Day weekend.

I hope you have a great time!

As has been mentioned, it's really hard to compare DL against the entirety of WDW. Yes, DL is the only park Walt walked in, but he was instrumental in the initial design and vision of WDW so I have a hard time giving too much leaning to the whole "Walt walked here" mentality. He personally said he had wished afterwards he had done things differently at DL, especially in regards to buying up the property around it so "reality" couldn't encroach upon it gates and people could feel the magic for longer.

Having said that, the intricate "execution" at DL does surpass anything found at the Magic Kingdom if you're interested in that, and similar rides at DL are better than their MK counterparts...particularly, as has been noted, POTC, Space Mountain, etc. And surprisingly, when I went back a couple of weeks ago since I was in the area after some 30-odd years, once you are inside DL, you have no concept of the "outside" world as Disney was/is very good about enveloping someone into the setting.

However, there are a few things that may be considered a plus at WDW...the first is that at MK you are much more immersed into the fantasy of Disney as even once you are out of the park, you can still take a boat/monorail to a resort and still be within the fantasy; secondly, the "flow" at MK does seem better partly because it is bigger and partly becasue you don't have as many rides stuck at the end of a walkway but rather along criss-crossing looping walkways.

The other factor I noticed is that the average CM at DL isn't quite as wrapped up into the Disney mentality as their counterpart in the MK. To some, they might as well be a checkout clerk out the local grocery store as a checkout clerk at DL. Unfortunately, the feeling is somewhat noticeable on occasion. Comparatively, many more of the CM's at WDW seem to eat, breathe, and live DISNEY since a higher proportion of them are literally doing that. In essence, while the CM's at DL are working a job, the CM's at WDW are more surrounded by the "magic" and it influences the way they react to the guests. Obviously, this isn't 100%, and I did meet some phenomenal CM's during my weekend there, and it might be more a psychological factor for the yourself/myself than it is/was in actuality to the CM.

Oh well, what do I know...just enjoy yourself...it's different, but the same!

-R

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter