From Dayton Ohio To Atlanta

L

LISALISA36

HELLO EVERYONE,
WE WILL BE TRAVELING FROM OHIO TO ATLANTA AND THEN ON TO
ORLANDO.
DOES ANY ONE KNOW WHERE WE SHOULD STOP IN ATLANTA?
WHERE IS A NICE HOTEL?
OR A DESCENT AREA TO STOP IN?
I HAVE HEARD THAT WE DO NOT WANT TO BE IN THE WRONG PART OF ATLANTA.
WHAT EVER THAT MAY MEAN....
THANK YOU,
LISA

Hi Lisa,

We live in Greenville which is north of Dayton. One suggestion I would make since we make the drive several times a year (and leaving today) is consider what time of the day you will be hitting atlanta. We avoid rush hour in Atlanta like the plague. We make sure if we are spending the night there and need to leave early the next a.m. to be on the very south side of the city to avoid getting stuck in traffic. Actually, we try not to stay anywhere near there if we dont have to. Dont want to be bumper to bumper in traffic. Dont arrive there at dinner time and dont leave during morning rush hour. Sometimes its fine but sometimes you arent so lucky :)

Have a great trip.

Jeanne

I am interested in this too. We will be driving to Atlanta from Southern Indiana. I have a cousin who lives near Powder Springs that I would like to see when we stop. If we stay on the South side of Atlanta, will we be too far from Powder Springs to see him easily? There will be 8 in our party (6 adults, 2 teens) so we might need as many as 3 rooms. Any motel recommendations would be most welcome. Also, can anyone who lives in the Atlanta area give me an idea of what the driving time is from Atlanta to WDW? I know that when we arrive we will all be tired and hungry, and I would like to make a PS at one of our hotel restuarants, and need to get an idea of when we might arrive.

I am making the Drive from south of Indianapolis leaving on a Thursday night, kids last day of school and DW works till 3:30 pm. We plan on staying just south of Atlanta and figuire that to be an approximate 8 hr drive. We have made the trip and ended up going through Atlanta during rush hour and will never do that again. Should arrive at the hotel at approx 1:00 am. Plan on leaving at approx 9 am and arriving in Orlando between 3 to 4 pm.

If you drive down I-75 you should be making the same amount of time that it takes us down I-65 to I 24.:cool:

We drove from Atlanta to WDW last month. Several people told us that the trip would take 6 hours. It took us 7 hours with 2 food/gas/restroom breaks and 1 restroom only break. With DSs 4 and 6, we could not have driven the trip in a shorter time. DH and I realized that most of the people who told us that it took 6 hours have no kids, and probably don't stop more than once.

Yes, avoid rush hour if you can, but rush hour here is no worse than NY, Chicago, LA or SF.

As for places to stay, try to stay either north of Atlanta, maybe Dalton or Cartersville, or south of Atlanta, Jonesboro/Stockbridge, or farther south because rooms will cost much less than "inside the perimeter" (I-285). You will also not need to be concerned about getting off at the "wrong exit". If you can get to middle/south Georgia, there are some great exits such as Tifton, Perry, Cordele, Valdosta-lots of nice, clean, cheaper motels, restaurants, gas stations, etc. Depending on where you stopped, you would only have a 4 to 5 hour drive left to get to WDW.

MaryJ- Powder Springs is on the northwest/west side of town. Ask your cousin for motel recommendations near him. If you pick a hotel on the south side, you will have quite a drive back to your cousin.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter