from San Diego to LA

Candycane83

DIS Veteran
So planning a trip this summer and doing a few days in San Francisco then San Diego then LA before DL. We’re taking a plane from San Francisco to San Diego but not so sure how to get from San Diego to LA. I saw Uber is a viable option but I’m scared drivers may not take the trip since it’s so far. What’s the best way to go? Is there any private car service you would recommend? We’re planning to head over mid afternoon after lunch. TIA!

We are going to ride the train from San Diego to LA. It is about a 3 hour ride and pretty affordable in my opinion. Then we will rent a car at Union Station and drive to Universal Studios. Consider Amtrak to get you there!

Yes the train is a great option. It's the Amtrak Pacific Surfliner. Then take an Uber or the Metro Red Line (subway) from Union Station to Hollywood, Universal or wherever you're headed.
Yes we’re planning to stay at Hilton near universal. How’s the train with luggage? Never have taken Amtrak with luggage before… is the subway easy with luggage?

Honestly, just rent a car for one day, one way. The train trip with luggage and then needing to get to Universal Hilton would be such a hassle.

But why are you going from SD to LA then to DL? Why not SD to DL and THEN up to LA? DL is midway between. Stop there first.

Or, fly from SF to LA, then do DL, then end in San Diego and fly home from there.

It's much easier to get an Uber from SD to DL and from DL to LA.

Honestly, just rent a car for one day, one way. The train trip with luggage and then needing to get to Universal Hilton would be such a hassle.

But why are you going from SD to LA then to DL? Why not SD to DL and THEN up to LA? DL is midway between. Stop there first.

Or, fly from SF to LA, then do DL, then end in San Diego and fly home from there.

It's much easier to get an Uber from SD to DL and from DL to LA.
We’re on ABD tour that starts in LA so that’s our stop after SD. ABD would take us to DL. ABD is at the end of our vacation due to timing for my work. Would Uber from SD to LA work? I read drivers don’t like that so I considered either the train or a car service. My only thing about the train is we’d have 2 large luggages since we’re on a 2 week trip.

We’re on ABD tour that starts in LA so that’s our stop after SD. ABD would take us to DL. ABD is at the end of our vacation due to timing for my work. Would Uber from SD to LA work? I read drivers don’t like that so I considered either the train or a car service. My only thing about the train is we’d have 2 large luggages since we’re on a 2 week trip.

You will have a very hard time finding an Uber for that trip. It's well over 120 miles.

I still suggest a rental car one way.

Personally you couldn't pay me to take the train all the way to LA (I'd do it from SD to Anaheim), but I'm not a public transit fan, especially in LA. If you don't want to drive, a car service is the best option.

You will have a very hard time finding an Uber for that trip. It's well over 120 miles.

I still suggest a rental car one way.

Personally you couldn't pay me to take the train all the way to LA (I'd do it from SD to Anaheim), but I'm not a public transit fan, especially in LA. If you don't want to drive, a car service is the best option.
Thanks! I am ok with trains but dragging 2 weeks worth of luggage does not sound appealing lol. Any suggestions for car service?

Sorry, I don't. I'm a huge control freak and don't like letting other people drive me. I always rent a car and drive myself. It's usually cheaper as well, although these days who knows?
Thanks anyway! I didn’t want to drive during our vacation so I wanted to see if I could get a car service instead.

You could probably Uber from the train station to Universal. I assume you're going to universal since you’re staying there?
Yes we’re staying at Hilton by Universal. Planning by to leave around 930 or 10am. I guess it depends. I was hoping traffic wouldn’t be that bad at that time…

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter