*From The Horizons Thread* Are thrill ride replacements of past rides better?

Are Thrill Ride Replacements of Older Rides Better?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
I voted no (along with 87% of everyone.) My view has been well represented within this thread, so I won't rehash too much. One of the biggest differentiators for Disney has been the extended length attraction. The long, immersive experience that nobody else offered. It seems that thrill attractions, for the most part are over before they even started. Plus, I much prefer attractions that everyone in the family can enjoy together. And I think the vast majority of folks going to WDW feel this way.

Horizons was a 14 and a half minute attraction. World of Motion lasted 15 minutes and 15 seconds.

Test Track lasts 5 and half minutes, Rock n Roller is all of 3 minutes and 12 seconds long. I don't suspect Mission:Space will last any longer than these two.

I believe in the original goal of keeping Future World fresh, of replacing attractions every 10 to 15 years. However, I would have much rather seen the length of the attractions remain around 15 minutes. And have been of the story-telling nature of the originals.

Adding thrill attractions is fine. Eliminating great non-thrill attractions in order to do it, isn't.

Horizons and WOM werent great non-thrill rides and were replaced because of that fact which led to low ridership of the attractions. HM and POC are great non-thrill rides and havent been replaced and have high ridership!!! Its as simple as that!!! And MS may be a thrill ride but TT isnt!!!

Horizons and WOM werent great non-thrill rides and were replaced because of that fact

That's only a matter of opinion now, and I'll contend that objectively it wasn't true at all when those attractions were new. However, that doesn't mean every last person has to enjoy them. If you don't like Horizons (or dark rides at all) that's up to you, but many of these attractions are among the Disney parks greatest achievements. Perhaps more importantly (and the stated purpose of Walt's vision for Disneyland in the first place) a majority of WDW families visit the Disney parks to be entertained together, and you can't do that with thrill rides.

which led to low ridership of the attractions. HM and POC are great non-thrill rides and havent been replaced and have high ridership!!! Its as simple as that!!!

Though a valid point, that's just not all there is to it. There were very definite reasons besides popularity why Horizons' attendance was lower during it's final years (the closed again - open again - closed again cycle didn't help). Location and perception play roles too. Also, Horizons and World of Motion had a huge hourly ride capacity, hence they looked much the same whethor deserted or actually carrying respectably large numbers of guests.

And MS may be a thrill ride but TT isnt!!!

That depends on how you define "Thrill Ride", and for many families who visit Epcot but cannot all ride TT, it certainly qualifies as one. It's a minor thrill riide to be sure, but it fits that category better than Family Ride, Kiddie Ride or Dark Ride. It's also not the only WDW attraction to defy classification - where do you put Splash Mountain, which has a "thrill element" that excludes some guests from what would otherwise be a family-friendly attraction?

Quite arbitrarily, I'd define a thrill ride as an attraction which utilizes some combination of movement, speed, height, or g-forces as a primary means to produce feelings of excitement. Dark rides therefore produce their entertainment effect primarily through visuals (video, Audio-Animatronics, etc) and/or storytelling. By this standard (admittedly my own opinion) Test Track is a minor thrill ride, but that's not the sole reason many people completely hate TT. The attractions fails for other, more valid reasons.

I have to agree with the people that are pointing out Horizons and WoM's Hourly capacity. these rides did not have low ridership. They DID however fall into Disrepair. and expecially in the case of Horizons became obsolete. Ultimatly, I am forced to vote no on this question, but it is extremely qualified. Thrill rides are an important part of the park. After all it was Walt who said we should provide a Little thrill. Similarly, I have no problem with replacing older outdated rides.

My problem is when you sacrafice the cohesive theme.
Horizons was the most important ride in future World. It tied that place together
Were it up to me, you would see a Horizons like ride return to the park in a different spot. it could even be shorter if that really matters which I don't think it does.

I live almost 45 minutes from a 6 Flags, and I'm 24 hours driving away from
WDW. I've been to disney 7 times and 6 Flags never. Why? Because I love the atmosphere
of the Disney theme parks. I love the whole imersion into disney. Going to a park just
to make myself sick on thrill rides is not my idea of a good time. Strolling the countries of WS
is my idea of a vacation. So I'm of the opinion that any new attractions should be an imersion into a theme , instead of a 2 minute-throw about-up-down-jerk back forth thrill ride.

Cathy-Jesse

WDW 72
BC 93
CS 97
WL 98
POFQ 99
Disneyland 2001
CB/4 night Cruise 2002
BW/3 night Crusie Nov 2002

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter