From The Keys to The Kingdom live

Sounds great. Looking forward to trying Key West in the next few years - never been quite that far. :)

Thank you. Just found it on Tripadvisor. Looks good, if we are ready for food when in that area we will have a look for it. http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restau...d-Holmes_Beach_Anna_Maria_Island_Florida.html

Hey Wayne, just logged in having been away for the past 8 days and what a great thread to come home to :yay:

Skinnys is amazing :love:

The owners passed my children pens to etch their names in the dining tables, I think its kinda tradition plus a dollar bill on the wall.

We are making a point of visiting AMI again this August for the day and will be stopping by Skinnys at some point.

Annette :)

Great to meet you, hope you were not too late getting to your hotel.

This is our first time staying in Key West, been twice on cruises but only for a few hours.

Our first day from Miami to Key West has used about half a tank but we have a 7 seater Chevy Traverse, probably not the most economical car but great to drive.

Exhausting day so no pics unfortunately. Just quick post.
Landed in Miami(via Atlanta) yesterday about 10 mins early at 7:45pm had a short walk to the airport hotel. The hotel could do with a little renovation but did the job perfectly well. Threw the cases in the room and went for a bite to eat at BK(with 10% voucher from hotel:rotfl:)
Early start this morning, alarm woke us at 6:30am, all showered and packed for 7:45, left the hotel to find the Hertz car rental area. Arrived there just after 8am to find my name on the Gold board, there it was with a car parking space number. Found a silver 7 seater Chevy Traverse parked there, exctly what I ordered, slightly high milage at 29k but drives like brand new. Hertz Gold is definitely the easiest and best way to collect a car.

We then set off to Miami beach, arrived in no time, a look at the Art Deco district, walk on the beach then on our way to Key West. We found quite a few Geocaches on the way down. One cache I found was right next to a restaurant. Its just a shack but got good reviews so we gave the Hungry Tarpon a try, really busy area, lots of boat trips etc going on. Enjoyed our meal then off again, next stop Big Pine Key. Karen wanted to stop off and see the deer roaming wild, saw loads. over to Blue hole where we saw a gator.

Arrived at our hotel in Key West at about 5:30pm, lovely room. releaxed for half hour before going for a walk to the Southern most point then to the Blue Heaven restaurant. Found it eventually but 60-90 min wait, we sat at the bar and had a few drinks and then ate. Prices a little high(as everything in Key west) but food was very good and excellent Key lime pie.

Back at the room now relaxing with a Blueberry vodka a coke:goodvibes but eyes are closing. Its been a long day but probably one of my most enjoyable since I drove to the Grand Canyon.

Matt has managed a few photos on his blog from yesterday http://mathewgillings.wordpress.com/

Glad you arrived safely mate, been following Matts blog, I look forward to it each day!, looks like your having a fab time, what did you think of miami? Will we enjoy our 2 days there in August you think? Enjoy the rest of your holidays catch up soon.

Sounds like a lovely start to your trip, Wayne. We've eaten at both The Hungry Tarpon and Blue Heaven and both were excellent. We'd love to go back to Key West.

Posted from DISboards.com App for Android

Great trip report Wayne,

I'm really looking forward to following it as it's a trip that we'd love to do as a family.

Off to check out Hertz now for next months trip. The car hire is the last thing that needs booking.

Have a wonderful holiday.
Car hire is usually last thing we do but the deal Hertz were offering in their 40% off sale last year I had to book, paid about half what it was worth, £230 for 14 nights 7 seater SUV.

Glad you arrived safely mate, been following Matts blog, I look forward to it each day!, looks like your having a fab time, what did you think of miami? Will we enjoy our 2 days there in August you think? Enjoy the rest of your holidays catch up soon.
Miami was just what I expected, fitness fanatics running and stretching on Ocean drive, art Deco buildings. etc. We were only there about 1 hour, no way could I comment on what its like to stay, I am sure its great to see all let up at night.
Sounds like a lovely start to your trip, Wayne. We've eaten at both The Hungry Tarpon and Blue Heaven and both were excellent. We'd love to go back to Key West.
[/SIZE]

Going out soon to Mallory Square, watch the sunset then find somewhere for our last meal, leave for the everglades tomorrow.

The Key Lime Pie at Blue Heaven was the best I've ever tasted (you woudn't bring me back a piece, would you) ;)

A long day of eating and drinking so no pics again, I am sure Matt will have some on his blog for all to see until I get some time.

This morning we visited Hemmingway House, as we are all cat fans it was a great place to visit, they have 45 in residence just now, I think we met about half of them.
Lunch in an Irish bar which was excellent food.
This afternoon about 1 hour by the pool before getting ready to goto Mallory square to see the sunset. A little early so we went into the Hogs breath bar for a drink or three. walked across to watch the sunset then back to the bar for more great food (and drink)
I usually drive on holiday so it made a change to have a day leaving the car parked up.
Everglades tomorrow then hotel in the Naples area.

This morning we visited Hemmingway House, as we are all cat fans it was a great place to visit, they have 45 in residence just now, I think we met about half of them.

Matt didn't do a 'Daniel' and fall in the stream at HH then :rotfl2:

Matt's blog is brilliant x I'm living reading and seeing the pictures x The fluidity of his writing makes it such a pleasure to read x I may be sharing with some of my students after Easter!

Please pass on my thanks to him (and you) for keeping us up to date. I am keeping notes for future trips!!!

Matt's blog is brilliant x I'm living reading and seeing the pictures x The fluidity of his writing makes it such a pleasure to read x I may be sharing with some of my students after Easter!

Please pass on my thanks to him (and you) for keeping us up to date. I am keeping notes for future trips!!!

He read your post before me so has received your thanks.:goodvibes

Matt's standard of writing at age 10 was better than mine, now he is doing a degree in English language I don't undestand half what he knows. Just hope after all this education he can make a living out of it.

I have never been so tired on holiday as I am now. Only 3 days in and I am shattered. Today we drove up from the Keys to the Everglades, the journey seemed to be never ending, stopped off from lunch at http://www.sonnysbbq.com/ ate too much again but it was really good. Filled up with gas, used $50 upto that point(Homestead)
Onto the Everglades, did a 2 hour tram tour, very informative and saw 100's of gators, from a few month old upto big old ones.
After that a little more Geocaching, even thru a torrential downpour. Our plans then were onto Marco Island if we had time, unfortunately time ran out so we came staright to the hotel, Doubletree suites by Hilton, best of the trip, warm cookies on arrival and massive rooms, well 2 rooms plus bathroom. Ate too much for lunch so we decide a small meal this evening, just a quick bite at McD's.
I am going to have to sort some pics when I get home although Matt is posting some.
Not sure if I lost yesterdays pics, about 100 of them. While taking pics of the Sunset my camera said "memory card error & replace" when I looked later everything had been wiped, I messed about downloading some software last night, looked to be working but then said free version could only recover 1 per day. I am sure i will be able to recover some but its finding the right software, I might just take it to a friend who does that sort of thing. Bought another memory card from Office Depot, all working again.

I'm pretty certain you are exhausted! I'm exhausted just reading it! What an action packed few days!!!

Have fun at Doubletree!

Driving so much really does take it out of you, we've done a couple of roadtrips in the US and know just how exhausting it can be

Sorry to hear about memory card. Might be worthwhile seeing if you can find someone who will do it at home.
Our 1Tb external drive failed. Manufacturer quoted €800 for data recovery. Local tech shop recovered entire drive and quoted £60 - £95. Billed me £89.

Driving so much really does take it out of you, we've done a couple of roadtrips in the US and know just how exhausting it can be
Never expected it to be this tiring, still not settled down this evening and we want to be up for free breakfast tomorrow and get off again. Themeparks next week will be so relaxing:rotfl2:

Sorry to hear about memory card. Might be worthwhile seeing if you can find someone who will do it at home.
Our 1Tb external drive failed. Manufacturer quoted €800 for data recovery. Local tech shop recovered entire drive and quoted £60 - £95. Billed me £89.

I think I have some software on my PC at home that will do it, one of my back up drives went a few month back and it worked with that, don't think I deleted it.

Today we visited Naples pier, did a couple of caches (found 1) then upto Fort Myers. First time this holiday I have been disappointed, didn't like either place. We queued about 30 mins to get into FM, no idea why, not my sort of place.
Thankfully the day improved along with the weather, morning was showery but aftternoon it picked up, after FM we paid $6 toll to go over the bridge to visit Sanibel & Captiva, both lovely places, enjoyed seeing the lighthouse, looking for shells plus other stuff washed up, geocaching, saw dolphin in the ocean, looked around a very intesting little graveyard. Definitely somewhere we could spend another day at another year.
Got to our hotel this evening just before it dropped dark, threw our bags in the room and went to Cracker Barrel next door. Matt and I had our first steaks of the trip, both had Ribeye which was excellent, I then had Blackberry cobbler with icecream:cloud9: Great value at $52 for all 3 of us.
Hopefully Matt is uploadig pics to his blog and posting soon.
Last day tomorrow before we get upto Orlando.

You are going to need a holiday after this holiday just to recover!

All sounds like a real experience x Sanibel and Captiva are particular favourites of mine. You feel like you've stepped back in time and are on a film set in many ways.

Enjoy telhe drive to Orlando and have a chollas when you get there.

I actually hate my phone! Who does it think it is auto correcting me all the time!!! Chillax not chollas!

Can't remember the other word it corrected.

I am so enjoying your posts Wayne ... they are actually warming me up as we freeze with temps of -1 here in London this morning.

I've made Josh read Matt's blog as the one thing he really needs to improve on is his written English ....... no problem at all with verbal English :lmao::lmao: Please say "thanks" to Matt from me :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter