From VWL to SSR

macajack

Earning My Ears
Hi -
I'm hoping some of you seasoned veterans can give me a little help with a building request. I'll bullet point, lest I write a short novel.
  • Originally booked VWL for boat to MK
  • Changed when rec'd Free Dining PIN
  • traveling with 2 kids (9 & 11), DH and MIL
  • DH has mobility issues and MIL tires easily, neither have ECVs
  • no car for this trip
1st - am I setting myself up for disaster at SSR?
2nd - which building do I want to be in? If I've read correctly I think I want Grandstand but wondered if the Springs would be better.

Thank you for any and all thoughts you have to share, I appreciate them.

Jackie

Hi -

I'm hoping some of you seasoned veterans can give me a little help with a building request. I'll bullet point, lest I write a short novel.
  • Originally booked VWL for boat to MK
  • Changed when rec'd Free Dining PIN
  • traveling with 2 kids (9 & 11), DH and MIL
  • DH has mobility issues and MIL tires easily, neither have ECVs
  • no car for this trip
1st - am I setting myself up for disaster at SSR?
2nd - which building do I want to be in? If I've read correctly I think I want Grandstand but wondered if the Springs would be better.

Thank you for any and all thoughts you have to share, I appreciate them.

Jackie
Should we assume you booked VWL (and now SSR) as a cash reservation and not as a DVC owner, and that you want the space of a suite (2BR?) instead of a typical resort room or rooms? Operating on that assumption, your first question is the one I'll address, though given you've switched, I suppose it's a moot point. VWL is much easier to navigate with two adults having mobility issues, as it's a smaller resort, has the boat direct to MK, on-site restaurants close by, and a nearby bus stop with generally excellent bus service. Still, I don't think switching to SSR would be a disaster, but it certainly is more spread out making the mobility issue more challenging. I'm not as familiar with SSR and others hopefully will come along to verify what you mentioned, but as I recall either Grandstand or the Springs should work best for your needs, especially the Springs.

Should we assume you booked VWL (and now SSR) as a cash reservation and not as a DVC owner, and that you want the space of a suite (2BR?) instead of a typical resort room or rooms? Operating on that assumption, your first question is the one I'll address, though given you've switched, I suppose it's a moot point. VWL is much easier to navigate with two adults having mobility issues, as it's a smaller resort, has the boat direct to MK, on-site restaurants close by, and a nearby bus stop with generally excellent bus service. Still, I don't think switching to SSR would be a disaster, but it certainly is more spread out making the mobility issue more challenging. I'm not as familiar with SSR and others hopefully will come along to verify what you mentioned, but as I recall either Grandstand or the Springs should work best for your needs, especially the Springs.

Thank you for your reply.
Yes, its a cash reservation for a 2BR villa. We changed because when free dining came out VWL wasn't available. By moving our vacation a week to SSR, and free dining we saved $3600. I know VWL is great, I researched for a month before I chose it. It was really disappointing when I couldn't keep us there but I could not reasonably ignore $3600.
We will absolutely rent an ECV if deemed necessary.
It sounds like I'm on the right track. Thank you again.

Thank you for your reply.
Yes, its a cash reservation for a 2BR villa. We changed because when free dining came out VWL wasn't available. By moving our vacation a week to SSR, and free dining we saved $3600. I know VWL is great, I researched for a month before I chose it. It was really disappointing when I couldn't keep us there but I could not reasonably ignore $3600.
We will absolutely rent an ECV if deemed necessary.
It sounds like I'm on the right track. Thank you again.
It sounds as though you made the best decision available for your needs. Have a great time! I'm sure you'll manage SSR easily enough. :thumbsup2

The problem with Springs, its the last bus stop before the bus heads to a park. And its not unusual for a bus to be standing room only by the time it reaches Springs.
Grandstand is the 1st bus stop, so you have a greater chance of getting a seat.

There are 4 buildings at Geandstand. 2 are distant, but the 2 closest to the grandstand pool (has its own pool bar) are actually as close or closer to the main dining and pool as the Springs buildings.

If you are only concerned with occasional counter service and proximity to à feature pool with slide, you may want to consider Paddock, as Paddock has a newer feature pool and a counter service dining/bar...plus its the 3rd of the 5 bus stops.

SSR is really spread out. Make sure you set expectations in advance ;).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter