Future change to allow strollers on buses (with kids still in them, possibly sleeping)?

Should strollers eventually be allowed to stay open with or without kids on Disney buses?

• Yes

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Maybe

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 146 98.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I don't understand when strollers got soooooo huge. 30 years ago at disney we use an unbrella stroller.

Today they have cable and AC.

But part of me understands, Disney is so expensive, we are going to spend the whole day in parks. The thought of "we'll just hop back to our room" means at least two hours in travel.

While I totally get the crowded concern with open strollers, the idea that an infant is "safer" being held by a parent in the event of a severe crash, vs strapped into a 5-point harness in a stroller, I don't think is quite accurate. The reality is a parent in a sudden accident might involuntarily let go of the infant due to the deceleration forces at play (and potentially being hit by another person or hitting a bar). Also, a stroller weighs less than a human....in a severe crash, a 150-300lbs person will cause more injury to another person than a 30-100 lbs stroller (again multiply the weight be the deceleration Gs).

But again, if you take out the accident concern, plenty of valid concerns about a reduction in space for other passengers.
After something I witnessed decades ago - I was vigilant about making sure my babies were strapped in and that didn't stop even when older - sometimes adding a strap that buckled in back so they couldn't undo it.

What this also did to me was make me look into every stroller to see how kids were strapped in since what I witnessed was a baby not strapped properly. You know what I see, everywhere and especially at Disney .... minimal strapping in, sometimes just a single strap which won't keep a baby from slipping out .... alot of times nothing ...... seeing a kid 5 point strapped is a unicorn.

I appreciate you don't want to wake your baby and rather just load a stroller, and I appreciate if you actually 5 point strap your child .... but reality is that most kids are not properly strapped down if at all so we have a huge safety issue there AND not to be snarky but most sleeping in strollers didn't even pay to go to Disney yet a stroller would mean maybe 3-4 people who paid can't get on the bus. Disney would have to either drastically increase their bus and driver supply, which costs lots of money, or have lots of upset guests waiting even longer than they do for buses.

I think the poll is the reality of how unhappy guests would be if this happened. As a parent of a child with special needs and understanding the trappings of what is sometimes needed and desire to not rock the boat during a good moment - I suggest driving to the parks. You can roll that stroller right to the car at every park. :goodvibes

A regular stroller does not have tie down hooks or bars. A regular stroller would buckle with the force of a bus in an accident. Only things they can tie down are special strollers and wheelchairs and scooters that have tie down capability built in. Stroller as wheelchair is only for lines unless it is a specially made stroller with appropriate tie down capabilities.
Plenty of wheelchairs aren't exactly rated for this either. I wonder what they would do with a flimsy wheelchair. But yes, you are right. There are many strollers that just don't make sense to tie down, and some that might as well be wheelchairs in a different shape.

What if they took some of the regular seats out of the bus so more people as well as more strollers could get on board?

All great points. One area that amuses me though the concern of stroller failure (or strap failure) in a severe crash. I can tell you that if the bus rolled, hit a fixed obstacle, or hit another large vehicle head on (the type of sudden crash with such a deceleration that would "break" one of those straps, or a metal stroller axle....that anyone in the seats (or standing) would be thrown forward. The lack of seat belts would cause immense injury (if not death in some cases). Also, those straps are probably rated for 1000-2000lbs (if not higher), since they have to hold down motorized scooters, which weigh in some cases 5-10x the amount that a stroller does. Multiply by a few Gs, and those straps are designed for that.

While I totally get the crowded concern with open strollers, the idea that an infant is "safer" being held by a parent in the event of a severe crash, vs strapped into a 5-point harness in a stroller, I don't think is quite accurate. The reality is a parent in a sudden accident might involuntarily let go of the infant due to the deceleration forces at play (and potentially being hit by another person or hitting a bar). Also, a stroller weighs less than a human....in a severe crash, a 150-300lbs person will cause more injury to another person than a 30-100 lbs stroller (again multiply the weight be the deceleration Gs).

But again, if you take out the accident concern, plenty of valid concerns about a reduction in space for other passengers.
How many strollers have a 5 point harness? Not those cheap umbrella strollers that many use at the parks. Strollers are not car seats. The seat belt is to keep them in the stroller, not to protect them in a car accident. Not to mention that many strollers have cheap, aluminum frames that could easily bend with some amount of force. Strollers are not made to take the impact of a car accident.

I ask "would you like to sit?" I don't say "take a seat old man, your feeble bones can't possibly sustain the rigor of this bus ride and those of us with young flesh must coddle you."

10 times out of 10, their answer is appreciative, whether it's "are you sure? Thank you!" or "I'm okay, but thank you!"

More often than not, if I can tell that the bus is going to be full, I just don't bother sitting down in the first place. I find a spot to stand out of the way and let the people who need it take the seats.

I know this will really blow some minds and get me in trouble. I also stand for women.
My husband is the exact same way. He would only sit if it wasn't full. It is rare to see that anymore.

I had the same thought.

We had an umbrella stroller that folded up quickly and easily. Took our daughter out before we got in the bus and either slid the folded stroller under the seat or held it upright against a pole.

Kneeling buses. Not complicated mechanics but like anything else, extra expense. Transit buses (Disney included) as well as larger, heavier over the road and Limo buses have air bag suspension. Hit a button and a valve lets the air out so it drops or kneels to one side. another button activates the compressor and fills the bags back up. The bigger buses have front and rear air bag suspension that can lift or drop the entire bus.

I remember years ago at DS (downtown back then) a family with 3 kids (2 in the GIGANTIC double stroller, and one kid walking) One child was asleep in the stroller, and the couple told the driver the kid was asleep, they then tried to lift the stroller with kid onto the bus. The driver stopped them, told them to fold the stroller. Argue back and forth. (I have no idea how they thought the stroller would fit with kid up and into the bus). The dad was getting really upset about having to wake his kid, meanwhile full bus waiting... finally someone in the back calls out "fold it up already! let's go!" The driver told the family again to fold it and that he was leaving.... they grumpily folded it, sleeping kid barely woke... what a PITA

To each their own when it comes to parenting but, IMHO, some parents are WAY too invested in their child's sleep schedule. We went to HI years ago with DB and his family - every time we turned around they were headed back to the condo to keep their DD on her sleep schedule. Ha! We never did that with any of our kids and, believe me, I can appreciate the benefits of a good nap. I just draw the line when your kids' sleep interferes with anyone outside of your immediate family.

To each their own when it comes to parenting but, IMHO, some parents are WAY too invested in their child's sleep schedule. We went to HI years ago with DB and his family - every time we turned around they were headed back to the condo to keep their DD on her sleep schedule. Ha! We never did that with any of our kids and, believe me, I can appreciate the benefits of a good nap. I just draw the line when your kids' sleep interferes with anyone outside of your immediate family.
Agree. My kids learned to sleep everywhere and anywhere and whenever they needed. They slept on everything from beaches to subways. Had one used to sleep standing up leaning on the sofa. I even vacuumed while they slept so they could sleep through noise. Same with eating, they always let me know if they were hungry but in the end they became very flexible.

I always remember someone I knew who was talking to me about taking their first big vacation many states away with their baby. She was planning to disassemble the crib and pack it, mattress and all the linens, hauling it in their car, so the baby wouldn't have to sleep in a strange bed. 🙄

Agree. My kids learned to sleep everywhere and anywhere and whenever they needed. They slept on everything from beaches to subways. Had one used to sleep standing up leaning on the sofa. I even vacuumed while they slept so they could sleep through noise. Same with eating, they always let me know if they were hungry but in the end they became very flexible.

I always remember someone I knew who was talking to me about taking their first big vacation many states away with their baby. She was planning to disassemble the crib and pack it, mattress and all the linens, hauling it in their car, so the baby wouldn't have to sleep in a strange bed. 🙄
My youngest was a champion sleeper. She fell asleep in DH arms in the Tiki Room. She slept the entire show. It was funny when we went on our next trip and she and my eldest argued that the family had seen the Tiki Room show. She claimed (rightly so) that she never saw it!.

We walked onto a near empty bus our last trip. One dad with a huge double stroller folded up, but it was on the floor taking up most of the aisle space. Practically tripped over it trying to get on the bus and he made no motion to move it. I can imagine it would be impossible to walk down the aisle if it had been opened. Absolutely no to open strollers on the bus-dangerous for the child and everyone around along with taking up a lot more space. Most of us have been there and had to juggle folding a stroller while also carrying a baby or toddler. Not sure why new exceptions should be made.

I also vacuumed when my kids napped. That was one piece of advice that experienced moms would say, don't make the house too quite so that they can learn to sleep anywhere. I give that same advice but sadly, many new moms don't want to take it. What a pain it is to have to get your kid back home for it to sleep.

I agree with others, it's just not practical for Disney. I was a single mom with a small kid when we started going to WDW and I get the whole moving a sleeping kid thing. I did it though and frankly, if he woke up, he was back asleep again as soon as the bus starting moving. Then again, he also often fell asleep while eating so the kid could sleep. As far as transferring a sleeping child, what do you do in the car if you arrive at your destination and they are sleeping? Do you sit in the car until they wake or do you transfer them? Not any different.

My son and his SO took their infant last Sept. and they had one of those strollers where the part she was in could be removed and carried. Since my son was late in life with the baby (40) he had been going to Disney many years and a pet peeve for us was watching parents wait until the bus came to even start breaking down the stroller. He made sure the baby was out of the stroller (in her carrier) and the stroller folded up before we even got in line. At one she is probably too big now for the removable part of a stroller so he has plans to wear her on the bus, thus he can still break the stroller down before he gets in line. She is like him and can sleep anywhere and any time.

To the subject of giving someone else your seat. I'm a 65 year old smallish woman with full gray hair. I don't need people to offer their seat to me just because I'm a: female and b: obviously not young in years. If they do, I just politely decline. As far as special treatment for pregnant women, again a mother so can speak to being pregnant. Pregnancy isn't a disability, just carrying a little more weight then normal. I didn't need a special parking place - I could walk a few extra feet to the grocery store, or any other special treatment. Unless there really is some underlying reason, a pregnant woman can do pretty much whatever she did before she got pregnant (maybe a little slower sometimes) and frankly, health wise, should.

I agree with others, it's just not practical for Disney. I was a single mom with a small kid when we started going to WDW and I get the whole moving a sleeping kid thing. I did it though and frankly, if he woke up, he was back asleep again as soon as the bus starting moving. Then again, he also often fell asleep while eating so the kid could sleep. As far as transferring a sleeping child, what do you do in the car if you arrive at your destination and they are sleeping? Do you sit in the car until they wake or do you transfer them? Not any different.

My son and his SO took their infant last Sept. and they had one of those strollers where the part she was in could be removed and carried. Since my son was late in life with the baby (40) he had been going to Disney many years and a pet peeve for us was watching parents wait until the bus came to even start breaking down the stroller. He made sure the baby was out of the stroller (in her carrier) and the stroller folded up before we even got in line. At one she is probably too big now for the removable part of a stroller so he has plans to wear her on the bus, thus he can still break the stroller down before he gets in line. She is like him and can sleep anywhere and any time.

To the subject of giving someone else your seat. I'm a 65 year old smallish woman with full gray hair. I don't need people to offer their seat to me just because I'm a: female and b: obviously not young in years. If they do, I just politely decline. As far as special treatment for pregnant women, again a mother so can speak to being pregnant. Pregnancy isn't a disability, just carrying a little more weight then normal. I didn't need a special parking place - I could walk a few extra feet to the grocery store, or any other special treatment. Unless there really is some underlying reason, a pregnant woman can do pretty much whatever she did before she got pregnant (maybe a little slower sometimes) and frankly, health wise, should.
You bring up a good point about being ready with the stroller folded BEFORE the bus arrives. Too many wait until the bus is there and people are boarding to start trying to get situated. That just puts more stress on them unnecessarily. And I can not recommend backpack enough as a diaper bag. Keep your hands free.

As far as your pregnancy comment, I have to disagree. Yes, there are woman that easily go through their pregnancy with no issues other then the extra weight. Those who do should consider themselves extremely fortunate. But that is not even close to reality for many woman. While the majority of issues are not considered a disability, it can put a huge strain on a woman. For example, I hardly had a belly. I carried internally with both of my babies so my 9 month belly looked like what most 6-7 month bellies look like. But that did not mean that my babies where tiny. They were all smooshed up inside of me with my organs taking the hit. I could barely breath by the time that I got into my third trimester. I had to quit my job at 7 months because I had very little stamina and would struggle to breath and had horrible back pain. That is pretty disabling. I wish people, woman especially, would stop downplaying how traumatic pregnancy can be on a woman. Many woman have life long side affects from it, like I do, and let's not forget that woman still can die from childbirth. So I would say that yes, it would be wonderful if people offered to give their seat up for a pregnant woman. Even just having that extra weight can be an issue for your feet.

My youngest was a champion sleeper. She fell asleep in DH arms in the Tiki Room. She slept the entire show. It was funny when we went on our next trip and she and my eldest argued that the family had seen the Tiki Room show. She claimed (rightly so) that she never saw it!.
We went to Washington DC for a wedding when my eldest was 1. We spent a full day touring the Washington DC mall. DS was asleep for most of it. We'd just wheel him in front of each monument and took his picture, fast asleep.

We went to Washington DC for a wedding when my eldest was 1. We spent a full day touring the Washington DC mall. DS was asleep for most of it. We'd just wheel him in front of each monument and took his picture, fast asleep.
And looking like a little Angel 😇

You bring up a good point about being ready with the stroller folded BEFORE the bus arrives. Too many wait until the bus is there and people are boarding to start trying to get situated. That just puts more stress on them unnecessarily. And I can not recommend backpack enough as a diaper bag. Keep your hands free.

As far as your pregnancy comment, I have to disagree. Yes, there are woman that easily go through their pregnancy with no issues other then the extra weight. Those who do should consider themselves extremely fortunate. But that is not even close to reality for many woman. While the majority of issues are not considered a disability, it can put a huge strain on a woman. For example, I hardly had a belly. I carried internally with both of my babies so my 9 month belly looked like what most 6-7 month bellies look like. But that did not mean that my babies where tiny. They were all smooshed up inside of me with my organs taking the hit. I could barely breath by the time that I got into my third trimester. I had to quit my job at 7 months because I had very little stamina and would struggle to breath and had horrible back pain. That is pretty disabling. I wish people, woman especially, would stop downplaying how traumatic pregnancy can be on a woman. Many woman have life long side affects from it, like I do, and let's not forget that woman still can die from childbirth. So I would say that yes, it would be wonderful if people offered to give their seat up for a pregnant woman. Even just having that extra weight can be an issue for your feet.
Thank you!!! My thoughts exactly!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter