• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

GAC at Disneyland?

TiggerCate

Mouseketeer
Hi! My DS10 is autistic (med. functioning) and has some behavior issues (incl. severe acting out in chaotic situations involving crowds/too much stimulation). The last time we went to DL was in 02 and they still had the SAP and it was wonderful. I have heard it rumored that Disneyland is a bit harder to deal with getting a GAC than Disneyworld. Does anyone have any experience with it? I know it's not necessary, but for my piece of mind, I had his doctor write a note where he stated his diagnosis AND that he 1- needed to avoid crowds as much as possible and 2- he is sun sensitive due to the meds he is on (Risperdal- he had a HORRIBLE blistering burn this summer while at his dad's). Any feedback is welcome! You are welcome to PM me, if you feel more comfortable. Also, does anyone know if the visitor's center is open early on Early Entry days? Our first day at the park is the day we will be using EE!

TIA!

This website, mouseplanet.com, has a forum for "Theme Park Access" that usually has pretty good information. Go back and look at some of their old threads or do a search for "autism" or "autistic".
WARNING: Some people don't like to post there because they feel the forum is not as friendly as the DIS (anyway, someone usually posts that when I post a link). You can just go there and read.

Everything I have read about what's going on has indicated things really did not change very much at DL for people with autism.
What they did was discontinue the SAP (Special Assistance Pass). That was a "one size fits all pass" where anyone with a disability got the same card, no matter what their needs were. So, a person with autism and a person with a bad knee got the same card.
The SAP was replaced with the Guest Assistance Card (GAC) program that WDW has been using for a long time. For the GAC, they ask what your needs are/what accomidation is needed and have a card that states what you need. DL is not quite as wheelchair/special needs accessible as WDW is, so the program works a little differently, but the basic idea is the same.

There is an autism group that started a petition about the dicontinuation of the SAP, but they have a lot of information incorrect (like they said you had to pay extra for Fastpass). The petition has a lot of rumors and if you actually read some of the signer's posts, almost all of them are reporting their fears not what actually happened. All the information/reports I have seen from people with autism who have actually been at the parks since the change have been pretty positive.

I don't know if we have any regulars with autism who post on this board and go to DL. You might try posting also on the DIS Boards Disneyland specific board.

I agree with everything Sue said. Yes, it is harder to get GAC's at Dinseyland but for your sons needs it should not be an issue. Just explain the need and they refuse to look at any doctors note so don't even bring it just explain his needs and there should not be any problem. I hope you have a great time :-)
JenJen

I had no problem this summer getting a GAC at Disneyland for my two children with AS. I was able to use it at all Fast Pass rides and where there was no fast pass I just entered the exit gate and they put us right on the ride with as little as a 5 minute wait.

We have a 10 year old with Down syndrome and have been using a GAC at Disney World for the last couple of years. We went to DL for the first time with him this summer and I noticed a positive difference in the way they handled them. At DL I noticed that if we went to the typical handicapped accessible area that the line was incredibly long. Our GAC allows for alternate entry so that our DS doesn't have to wait too long. At first we were appalled that we would have to wait over an hour. But then we realized that those lines were wheelchair lines for people that may have a sprained ankle or a twisted knee! I'm not saying that isn't important but I have heard of people getting a wheelchair just to get quick access. So we were very pleased to see that they may be in a wheelchair but that didn't allow instant access as it does many times at WDW. People in chairs please don't flame me---I'm just saying that there are plenty of "normal" people out there that just have a physical disability that don't need instant access. Now granted there are physical disablilties that do need quicker care but I'm just generalizing here. Anyhow, there are many times at WDW that we have watched young kids in wheelchairs push up to a ride, such as the exit to the teacups, jump out and run up to a cup, when there is a 20 minute line. We are allowed instant access with our son and I usually feel a bit guilty for it until I think about what it would be like if we were waiting for 15 minutes!!! People would leave the line!! :rolleyes: So anyhow, my feeling was they are a bit stricter in giving out the cards and then the way that they are utilized. Just my 2 cents! Have fun on your trip!

debm said:
So we were very pleased to see that they may be in a wheelchair but that didn't allow instant access as it does many times at WDW. People in chairs please don't flame me---I'm just saying that there are plenty of "normal" people out there that just have a physical disability that don't need instant access. Now granted there are physical disablilties that do need quicker care but I'm just generalizing here. Anyhow, there are many times at WDW that we have watched young kids in wheelchairs push up to a ride, such as the exit to the teacups, jump out and run up to a cup, when there is a 20 minute line. We are allowed instant access with our son and I usually feel a bit guilty for it until I think about what it would be like if we were waiting for 15 minutes!!! People would leave the line!! :rolleyes: So anyhow, my feeling was they are a bit stricter in giving out the cards and then the way that they are utilized. Just my 2 cents! Have fun on your trip!
I just wanted to point out that the line for the teacups and some of the other lines at WDW (mostly in Fantasyland at MK) are not wheelchair accessible. The Fastpass lines are, but the attractions like the teacups don't have Fastpass, so for those few attractions, the only way in is the exit.

Also, I'm not disagreeing with what you have witnessed at WDW, but our experience with using the wheelchair access at the teacups is that we have had to wait at the exit for the CM to give us the "all clear" to go on. Usually that has involved a 10 minute or so wait (even though DD has a GAC along with her wheelchair).

I have also read positive things about the change from SAP to GAC at DL. Before the switch, I had read that the "handicapped" lines were typically almost as long a wait as the regular lines. This made them not well suited for people who needed a quiet place to wait, away from others.
Things I have read since the change have reported the same as you mentioned; that those who only need wheelchair access were waiting in accessible lines, which we quite long. Those who had other needs were in a much quieter, less crowded line.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter