GAC at Universal Studios?

bookworm61

Mouseketeer
Hi,
I am taking my kids to Universal/IOA for the first time. My older son has Aspergers and we usually request a GAC for him at WDW. I am wondering if Universal also offers a similar card. Also, my kids don't do roller coasters, but enjoy the rides like Star Tours at MGM. Is IOA a good choice for a non roller coaster family? Thanks!

We have not been to Universal in quite a few years, but I know from fairly recent posts about Universal and GACs from June 2005 and from April 2005.
Here's a link to download the Universal/IOA guidebook for guests with disabilities.
The first 15 pages are mostly access information for people with physical disabilities, but after that, there is a description of each attraction that includes things like what kind of movement the ride has, whether you might be squirted with water (basically things your son might want to know before deciding if he wants to go).
Here's a book you might want to look into. It considers some things of importance to kids (like "scare factor" of attractions).

Universal has GAP (Guest Assistance Passes). You do not need a doctor's note just be able to tell them what assistance you need at Guest Services.

Both parks are ADA compliant and, as such, are wheelchair accessible. There are several types of GAP offered:
Stroller as a wheelchair (you an take your stroller right through the line without transferring to a wheelchair)
Show GAP (Special seating at shows--usually right up front)
Stairs GAP (for those rides that have stairs in the queue, you can use the elevator)
Familyroom GAP (where you wait in an airconditioned room with a few other family members while the rest of your family goes through the queue--then you join them at the front of the line)
Express GAP which is esentially like a fast pass at Disney all day (6 people maximum)
VIP Gap (back door access--mostly for Make a Wish Kids or Give Kids the World)

I find Universal very accomodating for kids with Autism/Aspergers.

bookworm61 (or anyone else):
have you been to universal yet with your ASD child?
If so, how did it work out for you?
Did you receive a GAP? If so, what type were you granted?
If so, how did it work out for you?

Thank you
suzy V

You should have no problem getting an express GAP for your child with anxiety disorder. The GAP is for 6 people or less.

We went to Universal and the GAC card worked out very well. We requested it at guest services, I believe, which was just inside the entrance to the right. They were very helpful and the card entitled us to use the FOTL option. By the way, they told us to hold onto it just in case we ever go back. Just show it again to get another.

Just a quick word about our experience at US/IOA with our PDD son (then 5yo) Many of the attractions are way more intense in a sensory way than those at WDW.

In fact we found most of the rides while not scary in a roller-coaster type way were too intense for him. It was very frustrating, he would cry to go on a ride, we'd let him and then he'd cry to get off of it.

As for GAC, we stayed on site so we had those front of the line passes.

HTH

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter