GAC changes - July & Aug 2013?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We were back at the MK yesterday. Once again we had an excellent experience getting my son's GAC. There are still no changes. It was dated til Aug 4th.

We went on 3 attractions and none of them were taking the GAC (It was the middle of the afternoon, or perhaps they don't typically take a GAC there?) We went to the Tiki Room, Country Bear Jamboree and the Laugh Floor.

We've used the GAC at two of the three in the past. (We've never seen the Tiki Room yet). I'm guessing that JJ and Grace would have similar stamps on their GACs, and we've always been able to use the stroller as a wheelchair for Country Bears and the Laugh Floor and to wait in the wheel chair section. If they're changing that, we may have to rethink our plans for later this summer. Did they not let you take the medical stroller into these lines?

Catherine

We've used the GAC at two of the three in the past. (We've never seen the Tiki Room yet). I'm guessing that JJ and Grace would have similar stamps on their GACs, and we've always been able to use the stroller as a wheelchair for Country Bears and the Laugh Floor and to wait in the wheel chair section. If they're changing that, we may have to rethink our plans for later this summer. Did they not let you take the medical stroller into these lines?

Catherine
Being able to use strollers as wheelchairs won't change. There are people whose children are not able to walk (or walk distance) who have a stroller, but not a wheelchair.
Using a stroller as a wheelchair basically gives ability to use the stroller where wheelchairs go. Since most of the regular lines are accessible, there is little 'benefit' for anyone to use a stroller in line unless they actually need it.

And you could use a GAC for an alternate waiting area at Laugh Floor... not sure about Tiki Room (I think there too, but not positive) and I have NO idea about Country Bears.

After thinking about it. Both my husband and I remembered being sent to a line on the right hand side as soon as we entered the Laugh Floor. This time, everyone was sent to the left in the first room, then at the next room the w/c were sent right.

We have used the GAC at all three of these. It is not just for visual/hearing issues.

Thanks, I wasn't sure. It's been so long since we've gone on these. There wasn't an alternate queue or waiting area available at the time we were there.

Catherine

Catherine, you'll be fine. JJ still has stroller as wheelchair as one of the stamps. At Country Bears and Tiki Room he didn't use it. He did use it at the Laugh Floor. There just wasn't an alternate area and the w/c stayed in the regular queue. JJ was fine. He definitely needed his w/c for that distance and wait. The people around us seemed to mind his friend's pacing and rhythm making in the queue. They kept staring and shooting annoyed glances at us. He was anxious from all the people in there.

We have used the GAC at all three of these. It is not just for visual/hearing issues.
We have been in all 3 when there were people using a GAC without a mobility device in those areas with us (our DD is a wheelchair user).

The people we saw without mobility devices (stroller as wheelchair, ECV or wheelchair) appeared to be using the area to avoid being close to other guests.

I can see situations when they may say GACs are not used there.

Tiki Room - the first row of the waiting area is used for guests with mobility devices and special needs. It is fairly long, but also narrow and can get filled. Depending on the number of guests waiting there, there may not be room for guests who could possibly wait somewhere else.
And, in most cases for Tiki Birds, the wait will be for the next show, so less thn 10 minutes

Country Bears - the waiting area used for guests with mobility devices and special needs is to the left. It is sort of square and looks quite large, but we have been there when the area was really packed with parties including someone using a mobility device.
The regular waiting area is quite large and it is possible to find a place to wait there where you would be a bit separated from other guests.
And, the wait there is usually for the next show, so less than 10 minutes.

Laugh Floor - when we were there in October 2012 and March 2013, they did not separate out guests with mobility devices and other special needs until the last room before going into the show. This was different than before, when the 'handicapped path' began at the entrance door and continued parallel to the regular line all the way to the show.
Again, the area is long, but quite narrow. The door to that line open up slightly before the main doors (to give CMs time to seat guests waiting in that area before the main doors open). If there are too many people waiting there, it becomes difficult for CMs to get guests using wheelchair to the sports thy need o be in. (And, actually, we have been there when time ran out and guests from the 'regular' area were already sitting in most of the wheelchair companion spots.
So, if they know it will be full, they may not allow guests with GACs for that show unless they need to sit in specific spots (for captioning or other reasons).
The show is not usually so busy. So, in most cases, once you enter the building, the wait is not generally going to be long.

The other thing that is currently happening is renovations to add Fastpass Plus.
None of those 3 attractions have Fastpass, so they will need to renovate to make new lines for Fastpass Plus. From everything I've read, it sounds like all attractions will eventually have Fastpass Plus available.

The other thing that is currently happening is renovations to add Fastpass Plus.
None of those 3 attractions have Fastpass, so they will need to renovate to make new lines for Fastpass Plus. From everything I've read, it sounds like all attractions will eventually have Fastpass Plus available.

There was a line at the Laugh Floor marked for Fastpass. It was closed.

We have been in all 3 when there were people using a GAC without a mobility device in those areas with us (our DD is a wheelchair user).

The people we saw without mobility devices (stroller as wheelchair, ECV or wheelchair) appeared to be using the area to avoid being close to other guests.

I can see situations when they may say GACs are not used there.

Tiki Room - the first row of the waiting area is used for guests with mobility devices and special needs. It is fairly long, but also narrow and can get filled. Depending on the number of guests waiting there, there may not be room for guests who could possibly wait somewhere else.
And, in most cases for Tiki Birds, the wait will be for the next show, so less thn 10 minutes

Country Bears - the waiting area used for guests with mobility devices and special needs is to the left. It is sort of square and looks quite large, but we have been there when the area was really packed with parties including someone using a mobility device.
The regular waiting area is quite large and it is possible to find a place to wait there where you would be a bit separated from other guests.
And, the wait there is usually for the next show, so less than 10 minutes.

Laugh Floor - when we were there in October 2012 and March 2013, they did not separate out guests with mobility devices and other special needs until the last room before going into the show. This was different than before, when the 'handicapped path' began at the entrance door and continued parallel to the regular line all the way to the show.
Again, the area is long, but quite narrow. The door to that line open up slightly before the main doors (to give CMs time to seat guests waiting in that area before the main doors open). If there are too many people waiting there, it becomes difficult for CMs to get guests using wheelchair to the sports thy need o be in. (And, actually, we have been there when time ran out and guests from the 'regular' area were already sitting in most of the wheelchair companion spots.
So, if they know it will be full, they may not allow guests with GACs for that show unless they need to sit in specific spots (for captioning or other reasons).
The show is not usually so busy. So, in most cases, once you enter the building, the wait is not generally going to be long.

I hope I am missing your point.

Here is my guess as to what the changes will be:

All GACs will be associated with your ticket or wrist band.

At all attractions with FP+, you will have to scan your card or wristband.

Your picture will show up on the CMs iPod touch or iPad.

You will use the FP+ line (if that's what your need is, but it will of course communicate the need to the CM).

You will have to wait the length of that standby line prior to going on the next attraction. This avoids having to issue return time passes and people having to leave and come back, as many of these people may be able to do the normal amount of walking, but return time passes would add extra walking for them.

At the next attraction, if you have not waited long enough, the FP+ will light up red, if you have it will be green. No one but you and the CM will know that you have a GAC, this eliminating the nasty looks from other guests. This also makes it less obvious that there's something different, so it will reduce abuse and the picture will prevent it from being handed off to someone else.

Again, this is only a guess, but it is an educated guess. Universal Studios (at least in California) already does the scan the pass and you can't go on another ride for the length of the standby line. It does not get scanned at shows, since there are show times that can't be avoided, especially with things like interpreted shows as a PP mentioned. Yes, they have fewer rides, but the system works well. So, this is my educated guess as to how the system will change.

This could have even more of an advantage at Disney, because they wouldn't necessarily be limited to predefined stamps. Say someone has issues with panic attacks when too many people are too close in to them. They decide to go on TOT, right now they have to inform the person loading the room about this. With this new system, they could be automatically alerted to this, saving what could be a very uncomfortable situation or an embarrassing one having to explain this.

So, again, it's an educated guess and should not be taken as definite, but I would say that I would not be surprised at all if this is what happens.

There is an option on the CM screen at FP+ entrances to add a guest. It appears as something they can do multiple times. This seems like it would be GAC compatible, if a GAC holder scans their band it shows the GAC and then the CM can add a guest up to the number of their party or what is coded on the GAC with those ppl touching their bands at that point and so the FP lane access would be granted there and it would turn green at the merge point when each persons band is touched.

This is just conjecture but seems like a reasonable use for the add a guest button. There are several other reasons why they could use this button that I see from the surveys I've taken about our FP+ testing but the GAC use seems like a logical step.

I would LOVE to see the gac added to the rfid somehow-the band, too...it would make everything so much easier to keep up with & monitor- I'm terrified of ours falling apart from rain to the extent where I take laminate sheets & a holepunch to try & weatherproof it & hang it from our lanyard to keep it safe & in one piece- we cant guess what if any changes will bring & we should all plan to keep our ducks in row & be prepared to explain ourselves to guest relations which is all we can ever do (I actually have a word file on my computer that contains copies of all our documents for burden of proof along with the key points I need to discuss just in case we are having a bad day-its linked into my ipod/phone in case I need to reference it for any reason or print copies-last year's envelope got rained on massively while waiting to see guest relations-the line was out the door) change is change & we have to roll with it-I doubt anyone who truly needs it will be denied a gac & if it does happen (we all know cms can have truly bad days/off moments too & are human) regroup & go back in an hour or 2 & try again (assuming those requesting gac truly NEED it & are not of the imposter variety we see in the news now) we caught flac last year at hollywood even though we had our previous trip's gac to trade in for a new one-but by the time the lady talked to us, went in back for 20 minutes to discuss it with someone else for whatever reason, then came back, my son was in fullblown flappy overstimulated nearing meltdown mode & further discussion was limited by his meltdownstate-ie exhibit A as to why he needs a gac & why the other patrons innocently standing in queue should not be subjected to his crashing/bumping/personal space invasion tendencies & how, when the guy in line next to us bumped him, he tried to lash out before I caught him (my son) in a bearhug to try & calm him with deep pressure...just relax & take your documentation in the unlikely event they actually want/need to see it-usually HAVING it handy is all you need & be ready to tell them what you need with examples to back you up-same as we always do...

I always panic when I see these threads so I called WDW and got transferred twice before someone could give me any answer on the changes. The CM asked her supervisor who said that yes changes are coming but that they are confidential. Like I was going to get any info before it's released to the public.:rotfl: The CM did help calm me down though. :bitelip:

I try to stay out of GAC discussions because :scared::scared1: but this is the issue that I'm concerned about:

You will have to wait the length of that standby line prior to going on the next attraction. This avoids having to issue return time passes and people having to leave and come back, as many of these people may be able to do the normal amount of walking, but return time passes would add extra walking for them.

At the next attraction, if you have not waited long enough, the FP+ will light up red, if you have it will be green. No one but you and the CM will know that you have a GAC, this eliminating the nasty looks from other guests. This also makes it less obvious that there's something different, so it will reduce abuse and the picture will prevent it from being handed off to someone else.

Again, this is only a guess, but it is an educated guess. Universal Studios (at least in California) already does the scan the pass and you can't go on another ride for the length of the standby line. It does not get scanned at shows, since there are show times that can't be avoided, especially with things like interpreted shows as a PP mentioned. Yes, they have fewer rides, but the system works well. So, this is my educated guess as to how the system will change.

If GAC holders have to wait the posted standby time (which isn't even always accurate/actual) that could mean waiting around for 100 minutes perhaps, in some cases, or even longer before being able to ride another ride using the GAC. This could be longer than the actual standby time, right? Maybe I'm overly optimistic but I just can't imagine Disney doing this. Medically fragile people in particular are not likely to be able to logistically make this work, so this would fundamentally alter their ability to participate. I realize that folks with fastpasses have to wait until certain times, but many GAC holders are only able to use the fastpass system minimally, if at all.

I don't remember Universal Orlando having a particular timed wait between rides associated with using the special needs card, but it's been about four years since we were there.

I realize that this is all just rumor, as far as the details, so I'm trying to stay calm about the changes. We don't mind getting a new pass every day of our visit or documentation (though we've never had even a second glance) and we're for any changes that will cut down on the abuse. I think the new changes will mostly impact the ones who are abusing the program and not people who have special needs who are using it in the way it's intended. I hope this is the case anyway. My fangirl brain is saying that this is going to somehow be for the best and solve problems, rather than create them.:faint:

I always panic when I see these threads so I called WDW and got transferred twice before someone could give me any answer on the changes. The CM asked her supervisor who said that yes changes are coming but that they are confidential. Like I was going to get any info before it's released to the public.:rotfl: The CM did help calm me down though. :bitelip:

I try to stay out of GAC discussions because :scared::scared1: but this is the issue that I'm concerned about:

If GAC holders have to wait the posted standby time (which isn't even always accurate/actual) that could mean waiting around for 100 minutes perhaps, in some cases, or even longer before being able to ride another ride using the GAC. This could be longer than the actual standby time, right? Maybe I'm overly optimistic but I just can't imagine Disney doing this. Medically fragile people in particular are not likely to be able to logistically make this work, so this would fundamentally alter their ability to participate. I realize that folks with fastpasses have to wait until certain times, but many GAC holders are only able to use the fastpass system minimally, if at all.

I don't remember Universal Orlando having a particular timed wait between rides associated with using the special needs card, but it's been about four years since we were there.

I realize that this is all just rumor, as far as the details, so I'm trying to stay calm about the changes. We don't mind getting a new pass every day of our visit or documentation (though we've never had even a second glance) and we're for any changes that will cut down on the abuse. I think the new changes will mostly impact the ones who are abusing the program and not people who have special needs who are using it in the way it's intended. I hope this is the case anyway. My fangirl brain is saying that this is going to somehow be for the best and solve problems, rather than create them.:faint:

Unfortunately the GAC was never intended to be a skip the line or skip the wait. It has just become that due to lack of training, beat down CMs who are tired of being yelled at, and abuse by Guests. Just wondering why do you say many GAC users are unable to use fastpass? Everyone I know personally who has one actually uses FP more than they use their GAC because they are veterans at park touring now.

Unfortunately the GAC was never intended to be a skip the line or skip the wait. It has just become that due to lack of training, beat down CMs who are tired of being yelled at, and abuse by Guests. Just wondering why do you say many GAC users are unable to use fastpass? Everyone I know personally who has one actually uses FP more than they use their GAC because they are veterans at park touring now.

I can't speak for the pp, but for my son it's very hard to plan things. His health can change at the drop of a hat. So staying in a FP time frame can be tough. Or if the queue is where it's out doors, we might have to skip the attraction at that time if it's too hot outside. And come back later when it's cooler or the queue is indoors.

At Universal, they have been lenient on their time frame return with the times written on the cards. As long it was AFTER the time, they've been ok with the return. ETA: But if the line is less than a 30 minute wait, they scan the card and send him right in line.

Not saying that anyone should "skip the line" or "skip the wait" but if, with the rumored new system, a GAC requires that you wait until the posted standby time of one ride before you can ride the next ride, then you could be waiting longer than if you waited in the standby line as the posted time is often longer (according to my plan touring app and experience) than the actual wait. Sometimes the times are way off.

The fastpass system does not work for my family. I should have said that. My mistake. We could collect fastpasses but they'd be wasted on us and deprive some other family from getting them.

I can't speak for the pp, but for my son it's very hard to plan things. His health can change at the drop of a hat. So staying in a FP time frame can be tough. Or if the queue is where it's out doors, we might have to skip the attraction at that time if it's too hot outside. And come back later when it's cooler or the queue is indoors.

At Universal, they have been lenient on their time frame return with the times written on the cards. As long it was AFTER the time, they've been ok with the return. ETA: But if the line is less than a 30 minute wait, they scan the card and send him right in line.

That does make sense. I only know people who have them for severe anxiety and for their children with autism. Both of them use FP as much as possible and the anxiety one is more for an alternative wait area since the anxiety is related to escaping in an emergency not the actual crow size etc.

Us too, impossible to plan. Autism and heart problem that's made worse by high temperatures so we have to be very flexible and adapt to his situation.

Thanks for posting the Universal info.:goodvibes

Speaking as a mother of two who have special needs, GAC or not, if the standby time is 100 minutes it's best to just do what everyone else does who doesn't want to wait that long: skip the ride and come back later. :)

That does make sense. I only know people who have them for severe anxiety and for their children with autism. Both of them use FP as much as possible and the anxiety one is more for an alternative wait area since the anxiety is related to escaping in an emergency not the actual crow size etc.

The heat is our biggest obstacle, and living in central FL it's nearly impossible to avoid. I do bring frozen water bottles and 2 hand held air conditioners. That usually buys us about a 15 minute wait outdoors. But after 15 minutes the sponges inside the air conditioner become too warm to work properly. We ran into the same problem with a cooling vest for kids and other cooling products whose effectiveness is altered by humidity. Adult vests we found that may have worked were discouraged by the manufacturers. So we make due with what we have.

Us too, impossible to plan. Autism and heart problem that's made worse by high temperatures so we have to be very flexible and adapt to his situation.

Thanks for posting the Universal info.:goodvibes

You're welcome. The first time we took him for a return ride time, we didn't know how it worked. He thought he did something wrong and was being punished that he was being turned away. He didn't understand the return time concept at all.

So we ended up having dh and ds closeby but not with me when I go to the ride entrance. This way if we are sent right on I can motion for them to come. Otherwise the time can be written down and my son was none the wiser that he was waiting to ride it.

Now he does understand the concept and as we approach we remind him that we are going to find out when he can ride it.

Here is my guess as to what the changes will be:

All GACs will be associated with your ticket or wrist band.

At all attractions with FP+, you will have to scan your card or wristband.

Your picture will show up on the CMs iPod touch or iPad.

You will use the FP+ line (if that's what your need is, but it will of course communicate the need to the CM).

The following assumes this specific GAC allows FP queue entrance....

But I've waited in the FP+ line for Attraction A. I should get "credit" for that wait time (deducted from the standby line time) before using FP+ line for Attraction B to be fair. Otherwise, I would be waiting the FP+ time PLUS the standby line time. And what if I actually had a FP for either attraction?

I am so upset about this and all the secretness of the changes. I think it is completely unfair that they say they are making changes but won't say what those changes are. I sure hope that these changes don't take affect until 45 days after being implemented. We make our plans on whether or not we travel somewhere based on a lot of research and planning. These changes don't necessarily sound like they would match up with what my DS5 can handle. Maybe they will, but apparently I won't be given that information until it is too late to cancel my reservation. As it is we probably won't have a refrigerator in the room so how we will be able to give him almond milk - 75% of his calorie intake a day - since they don't sell it there at all and once opened you must refrigerate it. I guess we'll have to use a cooler, which does not stay as cold as a refrigerator and hope he doesn't get food poisoning, or the infant coming with us and needs to keep bottles cold. Part of what we counted on is already gone, now we may not be able to have any enjoyment on the trip we'll be on for two weeks because the little kids needed it. We're taking extended family and I just don't see how this is going to work. and Disney makes the kids so happy and they have so much to deal with as it is. I just wish we had never taken them in the first place, that they never would know what they were missing.
To me the scenario seems like this: So, you must take the person with the GAC up to the ride in any event - we know that for sure. If the rumors here are true, you then scan your tickets/bands whatever and then leave. So now he is melting down, and then he is sobbing, and then his blood sugar has hit bottom, and then we are leaving the park because there is no coming back from this, and then he is freaking out because we are leaving the park now. So there isn't even fun at the resort. He's heartbroken, his 6 yr old sister is so embarrassed but spends the rest of the day not enjoying the park with her dad because she is too busy worrying about him. We miss our ADRs and I'm so glad to have spent all this money to bring a little joy into their lives. Then we try again the next day and when it works the same, we give up.

He simply can't handle the regular standby line - it's too crowded, it's too loud, it's too dark, it's too scary, mostly I don't even know what it is too much of...but then he starts to panic and have a meltdown. He is strong, he does something to his body that makes it completely impossible to grab ahold of him - seriously if he could teach other kids how to do this no kids could ever possibly be kidnapped.

I feel so hopeless about this trip now.

I am so upset about this and all the secretness of the changes. I think it is completely unfair that they say they are making changes but won't say what those changes are. I sure hope that these changes don't take affect until 45 days after being implemented. We make our plans on whether or not we travel somewhere based on a lot of research and planning. These changes don't necessarily sound like they would match up with what my DS5 can handle. Maybe they will, but apparently I won't be given that information until it is too late to cancel my reservation. As it is we probably won't have a refrigerator in the room so how we will be able to give him almond milk - 75% of his calorie intake a day - since they don't sell it there at all and once opened you must refrigerate it. I guess we'll have to use a cooler, which does not stay as cold as a refrigerator and hope he doesn't get food poisoning, or the infant coming with us and needs to keep bottles cold. Part of what we counted on is already gone, now we may not be able to have any enjoyment on the trip we'll be on for two weeks because the little kids needed it. We're taking extended family and I just don't see how this is going to work. and Disney makes the kids so happy and they have so much to deal with as it is. I just wish we had never taken them in the first place, that they never would know what they were missing.
To me the scenario seems like this: So, you must take the person with the GAC up to the ride in any event - we know that for sure. If the rumors here are true, you then scan your tickets/bands whatever and then leave. So now he is melting down, and then he is sobbing, and then his blood sugar has hit bottom, and then we are leaving the park because there is no coming back from this, and then he is freaking out because we are leaving the park now. So there isn't even fun at the resort. He's heartbroken, his 6 yr old sister is so embarrassed but spends the rest of the day not enjoying the park with her dad because she is too busy worrying about him. We miss our ADRs and I'm so glad to have spent all this money to bring a little joy into their lives. Then we try again the next day and when it works the same, we give up.

He simply can't handle the regular standby line - it's too crowded, it's too loud, it's too dark, it's too scary, mostly I don't even know what it is too much of...but then he starts to panic and have a meltdown. He is strong, he does something to his body that makes it completely impossible to grab ahold of him - seriously if he could teach other kids how to do this no kids could ever possibly be kidnapped.

I feel so hopeless about this trip now.

Just breath. In the event the changes happen with out 45 days notice you would have a good case to call and speak about canceling. Disney will listen to your case and may allow you to cancel with out fees.

This is all in hopes to ensure all guests have the ability to enjoy themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter