GAC for immunosuppressed?

dismom3

Mouseketeer
Hello out there!! Does anyone know if my child would be able to get a GAC because she's severely immunosuppressed because of her meds. She's on chemo and antirejection meds. I'm worried about her being in close proximity with large crowds/queus. She can't be in the sun long either. I don't know what to do. Thanks in advance!

Welcome to disABILITIES.
There is no "approved list of conditions that get a GAC". They basically are issued based on needs and what WDW is able to do to meeti those needs.
In your DD's case, go with her to Guest Services at any of the parks and explain what she needs - ie; she is on chemo and needs a place to wait where she can avoid being exposed to large crowds of people. She also needs to avoid sun exposure (although most lines are shaded/covered, so this may not be as much of an issue as you are thinking). You didn't mention how old she is, but if you are concerned about her stamina, you can also request to use a stroller as a wheelchair (strollers are not normally allowed in lines).
The card that gives CMs instructions about how to meet your DD's special needs is called a Guest Assistance Card (we call it a GAC, to avoid typing so much). It is not meant to (and often doesn't) shorten or eliminate your wait in line, just give appropriate conditions to meet your needs. The GAC is usually issued for up to 6 people (5 plus the person with a disability), although there may be a few times when only 2 or 3 people can accompany her because of the size of waiting areas. The GAC is good at all parks and is usuaaly issued to be valid for your entire length of stay.

Thank you so much. It was so nice of you respond so quickly. My daughter is 16, and I would say her stamina is pretty good. It's just that she's severely immunosuppressed with her meds. She can't be in an enclosed environment with lines all around her - that's what I'm worried about. How do you think I should ask them at guest services? I don't want to say, "She can't wait in line." That would not go over well. I hate asking these questions. I feel like crying!

I find that I don't have problem waiting in lines with my immuno suppressed 2 yr old . As long as I put someone in between her and the person in front or back, and I am a big time germ a phobe since she had her transplant 2 yrs ago. Disney is one of the least places I have a problem with. I suggest you definiltely bring an umbrella to keep the sun off her. That is easier for me since I have an extra one added to her carraige.

No, I didn't find that we needed one. The lines aren't in the sun. Is your daughter new to immunosuppression? In the beginning you worry about all sorts of things but you ease up after a while and just live life as normally as possible. Actually Erin's doctors think it is somewhat good for her to be exposed to germs naturally, this way she builds up a natural immunity instead of being bombarded by germs all at once.
Don't worry too much, I know it is easier said than done.
Also, I always take antibacterial wet ones to wipe things like 3 d glasses that you share.

How do you think I should ask them at guest services? I don't want to say, "She can't wait in line." That would not go over well. I hate asking these questions. I feel like crying!
You are right that "She can't wait in line" gives no useful info to the CMs at Guest Services. You just need to state what you said in your original post..
but, as don8life mentioned, you may not really need a GAC at all. One of the otherr things to consider is using fastpass. Many rides/attractions have it and by using fastpass, you can limit your actual wait in line to 10-15 minutes or less.

EDIT Please see my second post below to explain what I mean. this one was misunderstood.

I agree she may not need a GAC to avoid lines. Is she going to avoid rides where you HAVE to be in a room with lots of people such as Philharmagic, Haunted Mansion, Country BEar? What about rides where she has to be in a boat with lots of people like Pirates? Would she be less likely to acquire an infection in those settings that in a line?

It seems that if she is truly immunosuppressed she should avoid lots of rides altogether.

I don't mean to be harsh, but just realistic. If she's THAT immunosuppressed, maybe you shouldn't go to WDW. There will be zillions of people with lots of viruses and bacteria guaranteed. She WILL be exposed.

If you do go, there may be more effective measures to reduce risk. Don't eat at buffets. Wear gloves. Don't touch her face. Use a MASK. Etc. Her MD should have given you general guidelines for reducing risk when out.

Let's hear from others that brought immunosuppressed people. What have you done?

Wow, One more try, you sound pretty bitter. What is up with that? Can you blame a mom for trying to figure out what is best for her child.

What do you mean by "truly immunosuppressed" do you think this mom is lying or are you just heartless. Do you even know the worry that immuno-suppression brings with it like skin cancer, seizures, kidney damage(nephrotoxicity), dizziness, neurotoxicity those are just a few of what the drugs themselves do forget about what a germ could do.

"Maybe you shouldn't go to Disney" HMMM! Let's see, when my infant daughter lay dieing in a hospital I told her if she would come back from the brink of death and provide us with a miracle I will take her to Disney world any time she wants. Should I not take her because people like us have to worry about rude people who don't have the common sense or common decency to cover their noses when they sneeze or their mouths when they cough.

I've had the *joy* of being on several immuno drugs over the years and the easiest thing I found was to always be with a decent sized group that would put distance between me and others-so that I wasnt right next to a sick person-

With that and taking basic precations like washing hands often and using other extrmeties rather than hands to do things ie lean on the door to open instead of using hands to open it (if it opened out etc) Flushing toilets with feet intead of hands etc- I didnt ever get sick at Disney-

As someone said it helps to start building up an immunity (no matter how small) to the little things- I've always had trouble with this until I started working for Wal-mart- The first 5 months I was always sick with one thing or another but after I got used to it I havent had anything big in over a year (knock on wood)
---
I think the need for a GAC depends alot on the season- If ya go off season you'll find the wait for lines is alot less- If you are going during the busy season- Id utilize FP and a basic touring plan to see the busiest things early-

Alot does depend on you child and the level of the drugs- If its a need for complete immunity then I'd worry alot more as you couldnt protect to that level in the parks (or anywhere outside an isolation ward..) than if its not a 100% isolation and being at Disney with 100,000 other people is fine as long as ya take basic precautions then I wouldnt worry that much

Originally posted by don8life
Wow, One more try, you sound pretty bitter. What is up with that? Can you blame a mom for trying to figure out what is best for her child.

Here's what I mean. There are different "levels" of immunosuppression. Most people on immunosuppresant drugs are sensitive to fungal infections and atypical bacteria. Some patients are so sensitive that it's dangerous to be around others. Some of the organisms will even be present without people around -- such as aspergillus and other fungi in the water rides. At some stages, these patients have to avoid almost all contact. It depends on the drugs involved. and the doses.

It will be difficult to avoid most of these organisms at WDW and I don't know if a GAC will make a difference. If someone is immunosuppressed enough to avoid people, then exposre to 40 in a boat ride would be just as bad as the few people that are on either side of you in a line. If the doc says it's ok to go out, then the exposre in a line is probably no worse than the other zillion exposures the person will have at WDW. (See the other post from an immunosuppressed pt above.) That's why I asked others with similar experience to post. her doctor and organizations that deal with taking sick kids to WDW will probably also have suggestions ab out what will be helpful and what won't.

With ill children we have to face difficult decisions. With our ill girl we do that all the time. We have avoided vacations and we have taken vacations. When we take vacations with our little girl it is VERY difficult for all involved, but we do it anyway.

I am not bitter at all. I was harsh, admittedly. Yes. But so is the situation. I agree that dismom needs to decide what to do with her child. And part of that decision is "should we go to WDW at all?" We make that harsh decision every time we try to go. And I think dismom is still wrestling with that part of the decision. Hence, the anguish in her post.

I'm not saying that she shouldn't get a GAC card. But I think we all need to be judicious with using them if we want them to continue to be available for those who need them. Ie. will it make a difference between going and not going? I guess the child's doc should answer that one.

Also, immunosuppression is NOT seizures, kidney damage(nephrotoxicity), dizziness, neurotoxicity. If a child has these things that is a totally different matter. In that situation a GAC card would be mandatory. It sounds like dismom's child does not have them. (They can be side effects of the same drugs, but not a direct effect of immunosuppression unless a patient develops lupus or an infection which then in turn leads to these problems. ) But avoiding crowds will not PREVENT them from occurring. So that's not an issue here.

If you want me to post our battle with untreatable epilepsy, I will.

Again, I was trying to put perspective on the issue. I am all for sick children going to WDW. but sometimes it's better to wait a while. I think my family knows that as well as anyone.

Ok, i'm glad we cleared the air there! Probably takes too long to write what you really mean and it came off wrong. Take a little time and explain.
Your right they symptoms I mentioned are side effects of the drugs but I was just trying to explaing everything we have to worry about.

Now, let me ask you a question. Has flying ever triggered a seizure in your daughter? We are flying in 10 days and I guess I better take the diastat on the plane because i would hate to be stuck without it. I haven't seen flying as a trigger but then my daughter is not typical with anything.

have you read the book I think it was called "Healing the child: A mother's story" Great book. The child had a horrible seizure disorder.

First, a friendly reminder from your neighborhood moderator; many internet misunderstandings are made because only one part of the message is available when reading it. You can't see the person's tone of voice, facial expressions or "body language". Those things can totally change a message. Without those added cues, sometimes even a nice message can appear sort of harsh. So, assume the best.
Has flying ever triggered a seizure in your daughter? We are flying in 10 days and I guess I better take the diastat on the plane because i would hate to be stuck without it. I haven't seen flying as a trigger but then my daughter is not typical with anything.
I'd suggest taking any medication in your carryons because you never can be sure what might happen to checked luggage, so you should have the medication with you anyway.
My DD has never had a seizure when we have been actually flying, but she often has one the next day. In her case, it's probably due to sleep deprivation since we usually either have to get up real early to leave early or we leave home in the early evening and arrive at WDW real late. Also, flying on a plane is dehydrating and dehydration is a common trigger.
The other thing I would suggest is think about the whole flying process - from going thru security until you land. Are there any parts of the procedure/situation that you already know are likely triggers for your child?

We're on a different subject, but I guess it doesn't matter.

Our daughter has myoclonic epilepsy, which is probably due to a mitochondrial defect. She has many myoclonic seizures a day. (They last about 1 second and can be a head nod, a slight startle or throw her violently to the ground. Sometimes she stares for a couple seconds afterward. Sometimes she laughs after, sometimes cries.) On good days we may see 5 or 10. On bad days a couple hundred. They are brought on by just about anything, and many times without obvious reason.

Traveling on a plane would be a situation that tends to aggravate them -- due to the stress of being around others and being forced into a strange situation where her routine is disrupted -- especially her diet and bowel movements. (Aside: WDW is actually better than a plane because she loves walking around in her stroller. She just can't stand reliably for more than a few minutes and can't spend more than about 3 hours in a park at a time.) However, we've been on plane trips that didn't seem to be a problem.

We drive to WDW. I hate planes nowadays. We only fly out west to ski and that is gruelilng. the altitude in colorado doesn't affect her adversely, and that's lower oxygen than on a plane.

We used to carry diastat. Lisette had two grand mal seizures due to hypoglycemia while we were inducing the ketogenic diet. After that we carried it for about two years, but she never had another. Her myoclonics are too fast for diastat to make a difference. Sometimes shes postictal for 20 minutes or so, but diastat wouldn't help that.

Carry the diastat!! It would be horrible to be on a plane without it and need it. It's better to have it and never need it than need it and not have it. Bring a note from the doctor

My batterie's almost out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter