• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

GAC for My Asperger's DS

melomouse

DIS Veteran
Hello All -
Frequent lurker, frequent visitor, rare poster. Hello and Thanks for being here! I need to ask for any input those of you with autistic spectrum kids as to where you have used or might think of using the GAC from Disney.I had one in 2001 for DH when he was still alive. DS (13)has hi-functioning Asperger's and actually seems to be doing better than ever on very little in the way of meds. We have done WDW a total of 5x since he was 9 and have never even gotten a GAC for him. This time, with Autism Awareness increased and the current therapists we are using, we have been given a dr's note "just in case".

Honestly - I can't think of where I would be looking to use a GAC - with Fastpass in place - cooler weather and smaller crowds( we leave in less than 2 weeks - let's hope - lol)!!!! Though he has the usual sensory stuff and speaks loudly, I am always amazed that at Disney, Evan does better than he does at home...even with all the noise and crowds and heat!

This time - we are renting a pool villa offsite for 9 nites vs. a hotel room in the past - so he will have more of an "at home" feeling. We will do all our regular stuff he has done before - Spectro, Fantasmic,CM's,CP - and he wants to do Mission Space. This time I have also promised Disney Quest since he is a video game/pinball wizard.

Any thoights on this - things your kids may have had difficulty with that I'm not anticipating..??Any plce I WILL use this GAC?? I'm one of those that never wants to take advantage of something we don't really NEED.

Input, questions maybe I could help YOU with?? TIA -

melomouse :grouphug:

I haven't been to the board in a long while. We enjoyed a wonderful trip in mid-August. I did get a GAC for my 7 year old DS with HFA. He could have gone without it, though. With FastPass, there just isn't that much need to worry about waiting in crowds. Two times we did use it. 1. It's a Small World--no Fast Pass and DS just needed to wait someplace other than a confined crowded spot. Didn't really care about changing the wait time. I think the wait time for the ride was only about 15 or 20 minutes, it was just at a point that he couldn't be next to so many people. So, we used GAC. It was nice to have that option. He was able to walk through an area without people and waited behind someone in a wheelchair and their family. We still waited a while, which was fine. Just a relief for him to not be up against people. I do think we got on the ride a bit sooner than had we waited in the regular line, but not much. 2. We had a Fast Pass for "The Land" (I think that is what it is called) at Epcot. DS threw a tantrum and just had a whole "episode" that caused us to be a few minutes later than what the fast pass allowed. I showed our fast pass and the GAC and tried to explain. CM didn't ask for much of an explanation and let us go right on anyway. Those were the only times we used GAC.
Off topic, but have to express:
Regarding autism/aspergers and sensory issues...it may have been the day we went but starting Epcot in the section with the Soarin' ride (which is fantastic) and the Land ride and the big food court and restaurant...I'm sure someone knows what it is called exactly, was so overwhelming for my son. It was just terrible. Not sure if it was the noise, the lights, or what but it was way more than he could handle.

mlwear said:
DS threw a tantrum and just had a whole "episode" that caused us to be a few minutes later than what the fast pass allowed. I showed our fast pass and the GAC and tried to explain. CM didn't ask for much of an explanation and let us go right on anyway. Those were the only times we used GAC.
I wanted to mention that you are not allowed to come before the time on the fastpass, but they usually don't care at all if you come after your time. So, don't worry too much about that.
Off topic, but have to express:
Regarding autism/aspergers and sensory issues...it may have been the day we went but starting Epcot in the section with the Soarin' ride (which is fantastic) and the Land ride and the big food court and restaurant...I'm sure someone knows what it is called exactly, was so overwhelming for my son. It was just terrible. Not sure if it was the noise, the lights, or what but it was way more than he could handle.
I do think that The Land pavilion is kind of noisy. The high ceiling seems to bounce the sounds around more.

For the OP, if you have been there a number of times, didn't use a GAC (Guest Assistance Card) and find that Fastpass works for you, you might not need one. You can always go to Guest Services to request one during your trip - you don't need to get it the first day.
If you are able to get to the parks early in the day, you will find much less activity and smaller crowds. That is true even at very busy times like during Spring break/ Easter.

I have to agree with Sue M about getting to the parks early during busy times. We were in MK the week before Christmas (and I believe most schools were out then) and were in Fantasyland about 10 - 15 minutes after park opening. It was empty. After we went on all the attractions in this land we went to toontown for an hour or so. On the way back through Fantasyland (after toontown), Fantasyland was crazy busy.
For our upcoming trip, I plan on using FP extensively and getting to the parks before opening. It will make a huge difference I'm sure.

Thank you for all the replies. I am remembering that the one time we did go to the Land, it was not the greatest day for DS a few years ago - a spacial issue for sure - - so I to be mindful of that.
Believe it our not - we are always "late goers" to the parks, because with staying up later, DS requires sleeping in the next morning to avoid the 4 PM meltdown. But I so appreciate your comments!!!

melomouse:
Regarding getting to the parks earlier vs. later, I don't know if this would work for you but this is our plan:

Our plan next trip (Dec 31 - Jan 8) is to get to the parks at opening, leave mid afternoon and not go back in the evening. We have 7 parks days planned (to do MK, MGM and EP) so I think this will work out fine. After an early dinner, bath time, tv time then to bed by 7 or 8 pm. DD8 has to read an hour or so (to get sleepy) every night so while DS5 falls asleep at 7 or 8 I will let her read until 9 or so and then she falls asleep quickly. Then we will get up early and get to the parks for opening.

This works out well at home, lets hope it will works at Disney too.

Happy planning
Suzy V.

If your son likes video games, then Disneyquest is great -- IF he can handle the noise and crowds. It was my son's favorite part of the vacation -- better than the parks! I would recommend that you go during the day when it's not raining -- it will be absolutely EMPTY, he'll be able to do whatever he wants, and he'll be less likely to get overstimulated. At night, because it's indoors, it can get quite crowded and very, very LOUD!!

.. we are definitely doing DQ this trip - I have only been promising him for 4 years now but actually I have been afraid of the noise and overstimulation for myself!!!! Mousesavers has a great deal on them too, as a separate admittance - so we are IN!!!
Thank you so much -

PS - Evan is going to be speaking at the annual Aspergers/PDD/HFA conference this year on the Teen Panel. We are so happy and mama is sooo proud...

Several years ago I was a one-on-one with an 8th grader with Asperger's. He had had a "shadow" his whole academic life. It was a challenge, but with a lot of team work all year ( structure, patience, discipline and kindness)and weaning John (not his name) started High School without any assistance. Last year he graduated from High school and now is in college studying graphic design. These children tend to be very creative and excellent artists.
Good luck to your son, you should be proud and I'll bet he'll move mountains! :grouphug:

We just got back a week ago we took our 2 daughters, one almost 5 and our almost 4yr old with PDD. We obtained a GAC for her, but when I went to explain her needs they said "autism, we know what the needs are" and that was it. I think we only used it 4x, 2 at MK and 1 each at Epcot and AK. Most of the rides we walked on or only had an uncrowded 5min wait. The few times we used it they wrote on a blank fastpass. I am glad we didn't really need it but we wanted it just for insurance like. She did not do well with anything 3D, so she just kept the glasses off and she was ok. Loved the roller coasters! The Dinosaur ride at AK made her a little jumpy very loud and dark. She LOVED the Spectromagic Parade and Fireworks. The characters she didn't like until the end of the trip, then she couldn't get enough of them. Playhouse Disney and LIttle Mermaid were cute, she liked that too. Have fun!

If you can't make early in the day, for some parks late in the day works too.
By 3pm, a lot of the people who got there early in the day are gone. During Spring break, we went to AK late in the day and most everything was "walk right on". We "girls" didn't want to get wet, but DH went on Kali River Rapids 3 times in a row without a wait during the time the girls went on the Safari and walked thru the nature trails. We've done this several times during different years at Spring break. We seldom come to AK early in the day.
At Epcot, a lot of the rides that are long waits early in the morning have very short waits by afternoon (when WS opens, there are more places for people to go).
MK (at least in our experience) seems pretty busy if you don't get there right away, but even then, if you go on rides while parades are going on, you'll find lots of people are tied up either waiting for or watching the parades.

I am researching for a friend of mine with a 7 yr old (or he will be at the time of their trip) with Aspergers. What is a GAC and how would she obtain one?

Also a note about the food court area in the Land pavilion at Epcot --- I as an adult w/o ASD cannot stand to be in there due to the noise and lights, so I would definitely recommend that families with these special needs don't plan to spend time there.

Thanks for any help ... there is nothing more fun than planning a WDW trip, even it's helping a friend plan.

Here's a summary of information about GACs (Guest Assistance Cards):
  • To request one, go to Guest Services in any of the parks and talk to the CM there about your problems and needs.
    The diagnosis is not really that important because people with the same diagnosis can have very different needs. The GAC is not given based on diagnosis at all (for example, there is not a "list" of appropriate diagnosis for a GAC); the GAC is given based on needs and the accomidations that meet those needs.
    That said, there are some disabilities where the CMs have enough experience to know what the common needs are (autism is an example). But, even in those situations, you/your child's needs may be different. For example, even though some children with autism have difficulty with waiting in line, some people write, "My child has no problem with waiting, unless xxxx happens." Your task is to be able to explain xxxx to the CMs so they can help you avoid it.

The GAC is usually given for up to 6 people (5 plus the person with a disability) and is valid at all the parks for your length of stay (you don't need to get a new one at each theme park).
    A few other things
  • the GAC is not meant to be a pass that gives immediate access. In fact, about 6 years ago, they renamed it to Card because when it was called a Pass, people thought it mean front of the line access. It says right on the card that it will not shorten or eliminate waits in line.
  • it is meant as a tool to tell the CMs what the person's needs are so that they can provide appropriate accomidation for the person it was issued to. Some examples of accomidations might be a quieter place to wait, a place out of the sun (for those times when the line is in the sun for a prolonged period of time), using a stroller as a wheelchair, avoiding stairs.
  • using a stroller in line has been identified as very helpful by many people with children on the autism spectrum; not necessarily for mobility, but because it gives a nice safe space that you can bring with you. The WDW strollers work especially well. They are large enough for up to a small 12 yr old - a doub le gives more room. Also, the firm plastic surface of the stroller seems especially liked by many kids with autism.
  • even if you have a GAC, not all accomidations are available at each attraction (especially, some may not have a place to sit)
  • because what is stamped on the GAC is based on needs, not all GACs say the same thing.
  • think of the GAC like an insurance card, not necessarily needed or used all the time, but there for when you need it.
  • even on the same attraction, the GAC is not always handled the same each time. Exactly what happens depends on how busy it is, how many other people with special needs are there at the time and staffing. Some times you may be sent thru the regular standby line, occassionally the fastpass line; sometimes the person with the GAC and a member of their party will be given an alternate place to wait while the rest of the party goes thru the standby line - and then meet up with them when they get to the front. Sometimes you might be given a slip and told you can come back at the time written on the slip (usually equal to the standby time); very occassionally, you might be taken right in. It depends on what they call "attraction considerations" (which is basically the things I listed in the second sentence).
  • Fastpass is a good way to avoid waits in line. You don't have to be present to get a fastpass, you can send one member of your party ahead with all the park passes to get fastpasses. When you report back to the ride at your fastpass return time, your wait will be 15 minutes or less.
  • For people who are concerned about stamina or endurance, Disney suggests a wheelchair renting a motorized scooter (also called ecv; for over 18 yrs and up). The distance and time spent going around the parks is much greater than the time and distance spent in line. With an ecv or wheelchair, you will always have a place to sit and can conserve energy for fun, instead of just getting around. There is information about ecvs in the disABILITIES FAQs thread near the top of the disABILITIES Board. Most lines are wheelchair/ecv accessible.
  • If you get tired and needs to lie down in air conditioning for a while, there is a First Aid station in each park. They have cots in individual cubicles for resting. It's also an excellent quiet place to go if you need to have a calm, quiet place with little stimulation.

kpk89 said:
Also a note about the food court area in the Land pavilion at Epcot --- I as an adult w/o ASD cannot stand to be in there due to the noise and lights, so I would definitely recommend that families with these special needs don't plan to spend time there.
Just curious....
have you been to the Land since Soarin opened?
They renovated the whole pavilion, including removing the decorative fountain (which masked the sounds of conversation, but added another element of sound). They also reconfigured the seating into smaller areas with upholstered seats. All of that might help to absorb the sound.
We haven't been there since the renovation and just wondered if it helped.

If you haven't been there, you might want to check it out to see if it is more tolerable for you.

<<Also a note about the food court area in the Land pavilion at Epcot --- I as an adult w/o ASD cannot stand to be in there due to the noise and lights, so I would definitely recommend that families with these special needs don't plan to spend time there.
>>

i have been there since the renovation (but h adn't been there prior). it's still brutally loud imo. i'm not on the spectrum but i have major sensory issues with sound/lights and i find it extremely uncomfortable to be in there with my kids. if i'm alone, i can tolerate, but add to it the need to keep track of two small kids who are simultaneously talking to me or screaming at each other.......o.m.g. I think that was the only place i totally lost it last year and started screaming at them. once i was outside it was better and i quickly apologized to them and took a little break away from the group:)

my oldest also just cannot tolerate that level of stimulation...even at six she'll cover her ears while screaming 'IT"S TOO LOUD IN HERE'. this year, i'm bringing ear plugs for her should we need them anyplace.

:)
katherien in atl

Thanks for the report.
Some of the things that make the building very pretty and impressive when you first enter also make it really noisy (particularly the VERY high ceiling). It sounds like the renovation was prrobably not able to overcome some of those design elements.

Sue,

We find it's much LOUDER than before. My Aspie absolutely loves going on "Listen to the Land", however. I find it amazing that when he WANTS to do something, he'll do a better job of blocking out what normally drives him crazy.

Med change has been a huge help for us. We went a couple of weeks ago after the change, and he did much better. He was perseverating on going into Innoventions, but we were able to negotiate going on Soarin' in exchange for Innoventions.

Melomouse, when you return, please tell me how your DS handled DisneyQuest! My son is obsessed with video games, our worry in the past was whether he could leave a place with so many games. Now, my worry is really the sensory, since the meds are working on the meltdowns better. I would expect that Disney Quest would be as loud, if not louder, than the video arcades of our youth.

Suzanne

Poohnatic said:
Sue,

We find it's much LOUDER than before.
I wondered how much sound dampering the fountain did - I guess it must have done a fair amount since it's now noisier without it.

After reading all the posts here it is making re-evaluate my thinking for my upcoming trip. First, let me give you some info about our last trip and how we used the GAC. I think how you use it depends on what difficulties your son has and what rides he wants to go on. When we went in Feb 04, it was one of the busiest times. We got the GAC, just in case for my DS4, and did most rides with touring plans and FP. We used it for Magic Carpets, there is no FP and Little Mermaid. It was helpful to know I had it if there was a breakdown. He was really affected by the level of sounds and crowd level.

Now, since we used it only a couple of times and are going are a slower time I was not going to get one this time. I figured we don't need it. But as I was reading here, I was thinking what does it hurt to get one to have in case we run into issues with him. We are only doing 3 days in the parks. Do I want to have to walk all the way back to guest services? I could see us using to wait in areas that are not as overstimulating. Last time we waited with the general crowds b/c I did not want to ask, but when I think back he may have done better if we had used it. He did OK at the parks, but was a mess back at the condo. I also could see us using it for some non-FP rides. Good luck to you! Also, you do not need a doctor's note. Just explain to them what level of pass you need.

I would suggest getting it. It's far easier to get it and never need it, than to find during a day that you really DO need one and have to go to Guest Relations and get it. Inevitably, that'll be when you're at the furthest point you can possibly be from the front of the park.

Suzanne

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter