• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

GAC for My Asperger's DS

Just because you have it doesn't mean you have to use it.
Although, if you are going at a really quiet time, you may never use it at all. When we have gone during slow times, many attractions have almost no wait, so a GAC would usually not be necessary at all.

Wow - I had the laptop in our villa but never checked this board during the nine days we were gone. All these posts!!!
Got the Gac with absolutely no problem on our first day at Epcot. We had already done MNSSHP and a day at MGM and Fantasmic. Knowing Evan (DS, 13, my Asperger's boy) wanted to do Test Track, Soarin' and Mission Space and knowing crowds on a Saturday, I stopped off at Guest Relations and got it. No problem there.
Saturday is Epcot's busiest day. All FP for TT and Soarin were gone for the DAY by noontime. Spoke to Cm's at both attractions, showed them GAC and they were absolutely unable to help. Unwilling, unable, invisibledisability - not sure. I let it go, took him and DD to Mission Space, where he did manage the 45 minute wait, met nice people online and loved the ride!
Luckily we had extra time to come back to Epcot. He wanted to do Dinosaur and Kali at AK - both CM's at the line let us go right to the fastpass line.. but this was on Monday. Unfortinately, we got right up inside with the skeleton when it was announced that the ride was down!! This happened 2 years ago also. DS was very angry but we avoided a meltdown as I observed the boy in line behind us who was dancing around and covering his ears. I asked the woman if he had autism...and when Evan observed how upset that boy was, he somehow straightened himself out...
At Kali - they let us right on FP line though the last FP was long gone and standby was 40 minutes. He loved it.
About the Land Pavilion and Soarin'... I hate the building, love the rides!!! Love Circle of Life and the Living with the Land Boatride. Soarin' is absolutely gorgeous, exhilarating, energizing, renewing - AHHHHH!!! Wish we hadn't had to wait 2 hrs. for the FP to kick in. We went to lunch at Coral Reef - 1st quiet meal - sitting right next to the tank was very soothing for Evan.
Disney Quest?? I was surprised at how much I loved it - not overstimulating at all. Well designed, soothing spaces, dark even in some spots.True Disney Magic. We got there at 3 PM on a Friday. Stayed til around 8PM. Because there were different levels, so much space and few lines, Evan was absolutely fine. Actually - he was calmer in there than in any of the parks this time, where he was sooo anxious to get to the NEXT attraction.He loved the Cybercoaster and spent some souvenir money on the DVD. Because he's a real video game buff, he was thoughtfully evaluating games as he went and was able to wait for his turn and chat with other kids. And after we got the layout down, I felt comfy enough to sit in the Wonderland section by myself with excellent coffee from Cheesecake Factory and let them go. At the ticketmania price, the cheesecake, the burrito and extremely accomodating CM's - I would be back to DQ in a minute and wonder why I was so afraid to go!!!!
Any questions, comments - please feel free! thank you all so very much!
melomouse :grouphug:

Melomouse,

I'm so glad you had a great trip!

Thanks for the info about Disney Quest. Neil's goal is to own a video arcade when he's older (a la Flynn in "Tron"), and would be in heaven to go there! I didn't want to pay money to step inside and find it a nightmare situation-your explanations of layout, etc, is so helpful!

BTW, Long Island girl here-now I'm near the beaches in florida. Guess I didn't get enough sand in my car when I lived up there!

Suzanne

melomouse said:
Wow - I had the laptop in our villa but never checked this board during the nine days we were gone.
The couple of times I've brought a laptop, I never touched it either. Thanls for the nice report.
Poohnatic said:
Thanks for the info about Disney Quest. Neil's goal is to own a video arcade when he's older (a la Flynn in "Tron"), and would be in heaven to go there! I didn't want to pay money to step inside and find it a nightmare situation-your explanations of layout, etc, is so helpful!
You might want to check out the DisneyQuest pages of the new Passporter Book for Your Special Needs. There are 5 pages about DisneyQuest, including a kind of stacked map that shows how the different floors relate.

Thanks, Sue. I was just sent that Passporter, and haven't had too much time to look at it. It's going into the laptop bag for next week. Goal is to have my mom dictate some memories to me during chemo, but I have to be prepared that she'll sleep. Good reading to have in that event!

Suzanne

spot28 said:
What is GAC?
It's Guest Assistance Card.
The last post in the disABILITIES FAQS thread should explain. (I'm at work, so I don't have my regular computer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter