GAC update

jdsm

Earning My Ears
I've read a lot of discussion about children with autism and GAC's and thought I would relay some first hand info.

We took a note from our son's Doctor to Guest Services at Epcot (the first park we visited) and received a GAC. The cast member was very polite and didn't ask any questions. The GAC listed my son's name and the number of people in our family.

Whenever he wanted to ride something, we went thru the FAST-PASS entrance and showed the GAC. If a ride didn't have a FAST-PASS, we went through the exit. EVERY cast member was very kind and courtious. We only had one bad experience with a visitor in the Dumbo line, who made a comment about "none of them have a disability" loudly. I simply replied that not all disabilities are apparent on sight.

I'd like to add that we were very careful about how we used the GAC. Whenever my older daughter wanted to ride something that my son didn't, she waited in line with everyone else. If the line was less than twenty minutes (a time-frame my son could "handle") we waited in line.

The GAC made an unbelievable difference in my son's experience. Normally, he dreads WDW. This trip, he was excited and happy!!!

That's exactly how we handled the GAC with DS during our trip in August 2003. Be sure to save your old GAC for your next trip -- makes it even easier to issue you a new one!

We never used the GAC for Dumbo, however, because we felt too awkward about it. Instead, we did Dumbo first on EMH days.

Thanks for the report.
I just wanted to point out that not all GACs (Guest Assistance Cards) give the ability to use the fastpass return. The message stamped on the card is appropriate for the needs of the person the card was issued to (which might include things like avoiding parts of queues that have steps, a waiting place out of the sun, using a stroller as a wheelchair). It is not necessary to have a doctor's letter (although people with invisible disabilities sometimes feel more comfortable having one). You do need to be able to explain your needs to the CMs so that they know what sorts of assistance are needed.

Also, to stress again, it is incumbent on the family of such an (autistic) child to use the GAC card judiciously and fairly. PLEASE everyone don't abuse the privilege as it will create even more hostility from cast and guests.

We use such a card for our daughter who is not autistic but who has terrible epilepsy, which gives her personality some of the same characteristics. When she's doing well we wait in the handicap area. We don't tell them we need to have a shortened wait, just that she needs to be out of the heat and sitting down.

Sometimes we have to entertain her and that's not always easy (she will scream and kick), but we realize that standing in line is not easy for the healthyy either.

Sometimes they have let us use the fastpass entrance. And if we feel that she can't take a long wait, we will let them know that, too.

I'm sure all the Disers here abide by this. Just a reminder. (Her favrorite rides are small world, peter pan, pirates, etc; not rides like dumbo)

I have read your review of the GAC at Walt Disney World. Unfortunately our experience was not nearly as pleasurable. My daughter is one of the children who have several disabilities, epilepsy, CP, deaf, and partially blind. She was 2 last summer and needed to use a stroller as a wheelchair and can not be in the sun for any length of time due to her medications. (she cannot regulate her body temp.)

We followed the rules and got the GAC cards, hung a handicap placard from her stroller and avoid rides that whe would be unable to ride. We were still severely harrassed by the cast and guests. She was not allowed on the train at MK, we were asked to park in regular parking and carry her, several cast members told us we would have to allow ECVs and "more" handicapped people in front of us at parades if the park was full. The list is horrendous.

On a good note, I contacted the Disney corporate office upon our return home and they have arranged for us to return this summer with VIP treatment so let's hope. Just wanted everyone to know the GAC are great but not without their faults.

Sorry to hear about your bad experience.....like the original poster, we had no trouble using the GAC for our 9 year old autistic son. I am hoping that our upcoming trip in August goes as well with the new card.

gripshod I'm sorry for your bad experience. I'm glad WDW is going to try and make up for it. Bravo for letting them know in no uncertain terms what happened. It neve ceases to amaze me how people can treat each other.

We plan on updating on GAC in Oct when we are there and plan to use it as little as we can but are so glad we are going to have it.

I am also sorry for your experience but I would NOT have waited till my trip was over before I was back at guest services with names and places of problems. THose that gave you trouble should have been corrected right then.

She was 2 last summer and needed to use a stroller as a wheelchair
I'm assuming this means that you were at WDW last summer.
I'm sorry for your bad experience.
I DO know that they did a revamp of the GAC card since your last trip, so even if you had not written, you should find things better. They didn't really change the way it works or what the messages are; they did make it less word-y and added pictures to it so that CMs can more easily tell what assistance you need (previously, there was a long messae the CM needed to read - now they can just glance and know what it means). They also did a round of education for CMs so that they would know what the GAC means for their particular ride/attraction.
We found things working well when we were at WDW in March 2004; the CMs were well educated and seemed to know what to do right away when they saw the GAC.
But we did have some problems in March 2003. The message stamps on the GACs were hard to read and some CMs didn't take the time to read them. Our GAC had a message on about alternative entrances for those rides where there was Mainstream Access (ie, the line is totally accessible to wheelchairs). In 2003, we had some CMs tell us that we could not use DD's GAC at their ride because their ride was not Mainstream Access. I had to show some of the CMs the listing in the Guidebook for Guests with Disabilities to "prove" to them that their ride was Mainstream.
Some of the things you listed might have been misunderstandings or situations where they should have explained things, but didn't. Some of it may have been that people were seeing "small child" not "small child with disabilities".
She was not allowed on the train at MK,
On our trip last March, they were not fastening down occupied wheelchairs in the car that can transport a wheelchair. Previously, they were fastening down wheelchairs and the fasteners didn't accomidate strollers, so people with strollers used as wheelchairs needed to fold them.
DH and I were on an adults only trip in July and saw they were still fastening them down then. Non-folding strollers can't go on the train, so if you had a rented park stroller or a non-folding special needs stroller, that's possibly why they said she couldn't go on the train. Or, it's possible that the CM did not see that you had a GAC that allowed the stroller and just saw the stroller. For small kids with a folding stroller, the child is usually carried onto the train and the stroller is folded. People who can get out of their wheelchairs to board the train and then have the wheelchair folde and put on are often asked to do that so the 2 occupied wheelchair spots can be saved for people who can't transfer out of their wheelchair.
we were asked to park in regular parking and carry her,
A handicapped parking permit is required to park in the handicapped parking area. If you don't have one, you might get a ticket if you park there. If you had a handicapped parking permit, no one should have questioned you. There is no tram service for the handicapped parking area, those planning to rent a wheelchair or ecv who have a small child are often routed to the regular lot. Sometimes the parking lot attendants ask a "stock" question -"Do you have a wheelchair?" and if you answer "no" , you might be routed to the regular lot. The reason is because of the lack of tram service, but CMs don't usually explain that.
One day, when the lot was particularly full at Epcot, we were also asked whether DD's wheelchair folded and if she could get on the tram (no to both questions), even though we had a handicapped parking permit. We thought the quesztion was strange until we got to the lot and saw how full it was. What they were trying to do was use their parking most effectively, but if we had ended up in the regular lot, we would have thought we just got a cranky CM.
several cast members told us we would have to allow ECVs and "more" handicapped people in front of us at parades if the park was full.
That should not have happened.

My DD got her first wheelchair when she was 2 and 1/2 years old. The PT was pushing for one of the strollers and I was in favor of a wheelchair - not just because I thought DD would be able to push it herself, which she could. I have to admit that one of my big reasons was that we planned yearly trips to WDW and I didn't want there to be any confusion about whether DD had a mobility device or not.
;)
We have not always had wonderful treatment from CMs, but WDW does try to make things work and each trip, we have seen improvement, so in general, it's a great place to visit.

We used the GAC only once for my autistic son. We spent the first day in the hotel room because our son was throwing up. By day 2 he was wanting to go on Buzz Lightyear. We used the GAC to allow him to sit in his stroller (since he was still weak), but we waited in line like everyone else. Well some mother kept harassing me saying "you can't have a stroller in line"! I kept trying to explain that I have permission, but she still didn't get the hint. I finally said "my son is disabled"! I felt so bad, not for me or my son. I felt bad for those of you who must deal with that kind of ignorance on a regular basis. I never wanted to use the GAC after that.

Originally posted by Nik's Mom
We used the GAC only once for my autistic son. We spent the first day in the hotel room because our son was throwing up. By day 2 he was wanting to go on Buzz Lightyear. We used the GAC to allow him to sit in his stroller (since he was still weak), but we waited in line like everyone else. Well some mother kept harassing me saying "you can't have a stroller in line"! I kept trying to explain that I have permission, but she still didn't get the hint. I finally said "my son is disabled"! I felt so bad, not for me or my son. I felt bad for those of you who must deal with that kind of ignorance on a regular basis. I never wanted to use the GAC after that.

God what a pig. I mean really, I go on vacation to have fun why this woman had to get all worked up about a stroller in line is beyoond me. My husband would have ripped into her so badly. You handled yourself wonderfully :)

3DisneyNuts,
Believe me, I wanted to yell at that woman. It took so much to keep calm. But in the end, she looked like a fool. I guess that's justice.

Originally posted by Nik's Mom
3DisneyNuts,
Believe me, I wanted to yell at that woman. It took so much to keep calm. But in the end, she looked like a fool. I guess that's justice.

Yeah definitely I hope the line was full LOL. She should feel like a fool.

I have a funny story about MYOBing. While my best friend was in HS she got a hickey from her then boyfriend. She worked at a clothing store and a woman came in and told her in front of a line of people how disgusting it was and how she should be ashamed of herself. My BF (who is much more quick whitted then me) says to the woman "Thanks for pointing out my birthmark!" The entire line gasped and the woman felt like a jerk. Meanwhile it was a hickey but the obnoxious stranger was put in her place anyway LOL.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter