Gac

Leah's Mom

Mouseketeer
Do we need a note stating DD disability (autism)? We had one the first time we went to Disney 5 years ago, but it was October of 2001 and the parks were so quiet, we never needed to get it. The next three times we went they never asked for a doctor's note. This time we are going in March and the crowds may be a little overwhelming for her and I want to have a back up plan. I can certainly get my doctor to write one.

Thanks!
Susan

According to the new HIPAA (sp) privacy act, Disney, or anyone else, is not allowed to look at a doctors note, IEP, etc. You don't need one to get the GAC. I always took one, but last month I just walked in the Guest Services office at MK, and walked out with a GAC. I did take my autistic son with me, so they could see I wasn't making him up. He did dance around the office because he was so excited to be there. Couldn't make up this stuff :rotfl:

AJKMOM said:
According to the new HIPAA (sp) privacy act, Disney, or anyone else, is not allowed to look at a doctors note, IEP, etc.
Not quite correct. They are not allowed to ask for a note, but if you want to show one to them they must accept it.

I recently had a situation with Disney Human Resources, where I wanted to show something from my doctor which was already on file with Health Services. The HR person said he was not allowed to read it. I told him to check with someone; that I knew he could not ask but it was something I wanted him to see. He ended up reading it which helped in my situation.

Leah's Mom said:
Do we need a note stating DD disability (autism)? We had one the first time we went to Disney 5 years ago, but it was October of 2001 and the parks were so quiet, we never needed to get it. The next three times we went they never asked for a doctor's note. This time we are going in March and the crowds may be a little overwhelming for her and I want to have a back up plan. I can certainly get my doctor to write one.
If you get your doctor to write a note make sure it discusses needs and not diagnoses. Especially with something like autism, the needs for each person may be different although the diagnoses may be the same. One thing that will not be given is FOTL access. However, you can just as easily write out what is needed yourself so what you want to say is clear and you do not have to discuss DD with her present; you can just ask the CM to read what you have written.

AJKMOM said:
According to the new HIPAA (sp) privacy act, Disney, or anyone else, is not allowed to look at a doctors note, IEP, etc. You don't need one to get the GAC. I always took one, but last month I just walked in the Guest Services office at MK, and walked out with a GAC. I did take my autistic son with me, so they could see I wasn't making him up. He did dance around the office because he was so excited to be there. Couldn't make up this stuff :rotfl:
HIPAA only has to do with healthcare providers not sharing medical information with others, except as needed. If the patient wants to get on a loudspeaker and broadcast their information for everyone to hear, that would not be a HIPAA situation.

What does come into play is the ADA (American with Disabilities Act). It states that they can't say we require proof of a disability or we won't provide accomidation.
AS Cheshire Figment mentioned, the CM won't ask for a letter and may not want to look at it. They can require that the person with a disability is present when issuing a GAC. If you decide to bring a doctor letter, make sure it alks about the needs, not the diagnosis, as Cheshire Figment mentioned.
There is more information about GACS in the disABILITIES FAQs thread near the top of this board.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter