Garmin 235 or 630

crewmatt

DIS Veteran
Does anyone have either of these? I'm considering getting a new one. I wish they had a 630 w/ Heart Rate measurement at the wrist, but sadly I'm not seeing one.

What do people think of the features on the 235, is it easy to make workouts/etc. I have the 610 so I'm used to the touch screen, but not sure if I'll miss it by going to the 235

I don't have the 235, but I do have the 230 - I think it's mostly the same thing but doesn't have the HR monitor. I haven't made workouts on it yet, but I have done run/walk intervals with it, and it's been fine for that. I like the smart features and the step tracking. And I LOVE being able to see 4 fields on the screen when I'm running...on my 220 I could see 3 and I missed being able to see the 4th.

I read the first sentence of your post and was going to point out the touch screen difference, but I see you're used to that already. I briefly had a vivoactive and one of the reasons I returned it was because I got annoyed by the touch screen - it didn't work well if my hands had sweat on them, and I imagine I'd have to take gloves off in colder weather. I'm happier with the buttons and non-touch screen.

Last edited:
I like the 235, though I'm still learning it after 2 months. I'm tech-savvy but for some reason I'm tech-watch-UN-savvy. :)

I had the 610 prior to my 225 (similar to 235, but without the smart features and all-day HR monitor). I can honestly say that I don't miss any of the "premium" features that come with the high-end models. The only thing I do miss is the four data fields per screen (vs. 3 on the 225), but they fixed that with the 235, so you are good there.

I have always gone with Garmin's top of the line over the years, but I really don't see a need for it anymore. I don't need to see vertical oscillations or ground contact time, and the touch screen was never all that impressive. Plus, to get those additional running metrics, you have to go back to wearing a chest strap, and getting rid of the chest strap was the main reason I went with the 225 in the first place. I think you will be very happy with the 235.

As far as workouts, I create these on the computer via Garmin Connect, so the process would be the same with either the 630 or the 235. I do love the syncing through the phone app vs. the old ANT+ method or straight computer connection, but both watches have that feature as well. I guess with the 630 you can also sync through WiFi, but again, with the phone app, that isn't really needed.

I don't have the 235, but I do have the 230 - I think it's mostly the same thing but doesn't have the HR monitor. I haven't made workouts on it yet, but I have done run/walk intervals with it, and it's been fine for that. I like the smart features and the step tracking. And I LOVE being able to see 4 fields on the screen when I'm running...on my 220 I could see 3 and I missed being able to see the 4th.

I read the first sentence of your post and was going to point out the tough screen difference, but I see you're used to that already. I briefly had a vivoactive and one of the reasons I returned it was because I got annoyed by the touch screen - it didn't work well if my hands had swat on them, and I imagine I'd have to take gloves off in colder weather. I'm happier with the buttons and non-touch screen.

I'll echo pretty much everything @Ariel484 said. I LOVE my Garmin 235. It was a very nice upgrade from my old Garmin 220 and the ability to have 4 data fields is great. Similarly, I haven't set up specific workouts, but the run/walk intervals are incredibly easy to set.

I have the 610 but on Black Friday sale went in to my local running store to investigate the 630. The clerk asked me if it was important for me to get text messages, but really when I'm out for a run I don't like to be bothered. I consider it my time. Also 630 connected to a different satellite. He suggested I get the model they were clearing out 620. Well this is were the fun began! Here in Vancouver we have a program were we teach people to run 10km over a 13 week program. With Garmin Connect you can not program a run walk program (eg: warm-up walk 5 min, run 3 min- walk 1 min x 6, walk 5 min cool down). To make a long story as short as possible between the run -walk intervals on the watch 620 it just says run- run. When I was at Princess expo I saw the Garmin rep, and decided to ask him. At first he said of course the watch did walk run. So we went back to the hotel to get my watch so he could show me what I was doing wrong. We got him to log into my Garmin Connect account he realized what we were talking about as he saw the read out on the watch say run-run. He could not explain it and said there was a soft ware problem. Gave us his email so he could follow up with us. To date the watch is the same but the programmers are working on it we are told. The old Garmin Training Center program works perfectly but Garmin switched to the Connect program. I have owned the 305, 610 now the 620. I prefer the heart rate on my chest I fill it is more accurate seeing I train by heart rate. But I do love the fact that the 620 gives me cadence read out. I use these two features the VO2Max is very interesting. I really like my watch other than the programming problem but I am sure Garmin will rectify it. They have been very supportive and have try to answer my questions. The 620 suits my needs more than the 610.

I've got a 620 and found the high level stats interesting in the beginning. After a few months, I didn't find them very useful anymore. If I were to purchase a new watch I would very likely buy the 235 over the 630. I despised wearing the chest strap. It gave me a scar on my chest that is still there nearly 7 months after last using the strap.

I've got a 620 and found the high level stats interesting in the beginning. After a few months, I didn't find them very useful anymore. If I were to purchase a new watch I would very likely buy the 235 over the 630. I despised wearing the chest strap. It gave me a scar on my chest that is still there nearly 7 months after last using the strap.

Contact Garmin about the chest strap and they will send you a different one. I found them very help full . I explain the strap was eating me alive and they gave me options and sent it free of charge.

Contact Garmin about the chest strap and they will send you a different one. I found them very help full . I explain the strap was eating me alive and they gave me options and sent it free of charge.
I've gotten 2 if them so far for free. Unfortunately i bought one myself before contacting them because it unglued from my awesome sweat - i ended up sewing it back together and still use it. But yeah, i get a raw spot on my right side where the strap connects and can't figure out why but still haven't bothered replacing it.

Anyway, Like i said, i got two so far because i actually had my hrm module crap out and start to completely drain all batteries in a day so they sent me a replacement and that included 1 strap. But they sent me a hrm premium and not hrm-run which i need for the 620 dynamics so I called again and they shipped a new one without wanting the old one back...so counting the one i bought brings me up to 3 that i have. Geez, i should stop using the old one.

I've gotten 2 if them so far for free. Unfortunately i bought one myself before contacting them because it unglued from my awesome sweat - i ended up sewing it back together and still use it. But yeah, i get a raw spot on my right side where the strap connects and can't figure out why but still haven't bothered replacing it.

Anyway, Like i said, i got two so far because i actually had my hrm module crap out and start to completely drain all batteries in a day so they sent me a replacement and that included 1 strap. But they sent me a hrm premium and not hrm-run which i need for the 620 dynamics so I called again and they shipped a new one without wanting the old one back...so counting the one i bought brings me up to 3 that i have. Geez, i should stop using the old one.

Thanks for the info guys. I haven't contacted them, but I probably will now.

Have had the 230 for about a month now. I was initially looking at the 630 model, but glad I went the way I did.. The 230 just does everything I need at this point. I would have just bought the 630 to say I had all the cool stuff. I have an old HR strap, and it works fine, plus already had the foot pod also.

I have used many different Garmins, and currently use the 620. I don't really use most of the data because most of my runs are trail runs, so cadence, vertical oscillation and ground contact time pretty much go out the window as terrain dictates too much, but it is comfortable and reliable. I use those stats when road running.

For the chest strap - I have learned to rinse it well after every run so it doesn't get stiff. If I do so, it is less likely to cut into my skin. When I do this from run #1 with a new strap, I have never had it cut into my skin or chafe.

ETA: I compared the 620 to the 630 and saw no reason for me to upgrade. YMMV, but the 620 is much less expensive right now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter