GC or DLH..........have never stayed at either!!

Debs Hill

DIS Veteran
Calling anyone who has stayed at either.........which should I choose?!! It will be me and my 5yr old son, and we would be staying for 3 days, only visiting the parks before going on to Palm Springs. Which hotel would you choose and why?!
Debsx

The Grand Californian is a bit more upscale...well sort of and was built from the ground up by Disney. Its theme is the Craftsman style architecture with Frank Lloyd Wright accents. The rooms are nice, slightly woodsy http://www.kingdommagictravel.com/images/disneyland/hotels/embassy/grand_californian_room_250.jpg and comfortable, not to formal but quite nice and the location is awesome. Going to and from the parks is super fast...we could get from our room into DCA in a minute to a minute and a half. The pool is pretty with a giant redwood tree slide.
The Disneyland Hotel has larger rooms, in general. It is an older three tower hotel that was not built by Disney. The rooms were recently remodeled and have lots of fun Disneyland references with border paper that glows in the dark and fun lamps and such. They are sort of formal feeling in a Victorian way but still fun. http://images.triseptsolutions.com/slideshow/ANHDISN02.JPG
The DLH is a bit farther away though you can walk to the monorail station at downtown Disney and get into Disneyland that way you still have to walk to the front gate of DCA. The pool area is themed to Neverland with a small ship, skull rock and mermain lagoon (hot tub).
Both places are great and either one would be fine.

The GC is a beautiful hotel and the location can't be beat, but with a 5 year old in tow, I think I'd seriously consider the DL Hotel.

When I asked my 6 year old which was better there was no question - she prefers the DL hotel.

I really don't think you can go wrong with either one though.
Good luck deciding!

The GC is beautiful and the closeness to the parks is unbeatable. Yes, the DLH has a few more Disney touches, but there are still some in the GC and this hotel is the only one of the three that has a balcony where you can sit outside and take in the view.

Another vote for DLH, my boys are 10 and 6 and they LOVE DLH. We talked about staying onsite when we go down with my dad and stepmom and they both stated DLH hands down.

Thanks for all your opinions, it sounds as though my little boy would like DLH best with the peter pan themed pool! Do they have a character breakfast there? Has anyone stayed in Coneirge, and if so, was it worth it?!
Debsx

They have Goofy's Kitchen which has a character breakfast, lunch and dinner. If you have been to WDW it is on par with Chef Micky's, The Crystal Palace and 1900 Park Faire. I think the breakfast spread is great.

I think that you have made a good choice with DLH for your son, and definitely go to Goofy's Kitchen. My son is 12 now and still loves Goofy's Kitchen and is very much looking forward to our stay at DLH!

I'd also like to hear about the value of conceriege.

Also, could someone tell me what constitutes a 'standard' view and what can you see from the preferred view rooms?!!! Where are conceirge rooms located?
Debx

Standard view rooms would be views of the surrounding Suburbs of Anaheim with large parkinglots in the for ground. Sometimes standard view rooms can be on more desirable sides of the building but the view is obstructed by trees or roofs and such. Pool view rooms look into the center courtyard and down on the pool and waterfalls and gardens but still have views of Anaheimd in the distance. Themepark? Downtown Disney views are looking directly or to the side at the parks. There are so many different names for the rooms it is hard to tell. I would assume "preffered view" would be of the themeparks.
I have heard that concierge rooms are located in each building.

We stayed on the concierge level a few years ago. At that time, it was roughly $75 more per night for concierge level. We had access to the 14th floor (I think) where the concierge lounge was. There were sodas (cans) and bottled water available all day long, plus continental breakfast in the morning, dessert-type snacks in the afternoon, and wine & cheese during the pre-dinner hours, and some more desserts late night. We mainly took advantage of the sodas and the snacks, but neither of us felt it was enough value to book that level again. I remember mentioning to the concierge staff that it was my husband's birthday and asking for recommendations on dining, and they were #1 - not that helpful with suggestions (I didn't really need help - was just testing their knowledge) and #2 - they didn't send a card or balloon or anything to the room, and I was watching as they were writing up cards for other guests, so I know they can do that...

I still love the upper floor view of Downtown Disney and DL from the Sierra tower, and that is always our request, but we don't drink or eat $75 per night worth so it's non-concierge for us!

Based soley on the pictures, the Grand Californian seemed to have TINY pools, particularly when you consider both the size and the deluxe status of the resort.

OK... I'll throw my question out... We are a family of 5: 2A, 16DD and DS/DD twin 9 yo's. Which hotel would you pick for us? I was leaning towards PP, but for the right reasons I (add my wife) could be persuaded!

It looks like $700 difference for 6 nights for us in Novermber between PP and GC. I hadn't really thought about DLH.

All comparisons and thoughts greatly appreciated!

---Paul in Southern NJ

The Grand Californian Hotel is beautiful and awesome and cloe to the parks but the rooms are a hair small and I think the kids would have more fun at the DLH (not that they wouldn't at the GC). If you request a room with two queen Beds and a day bed in the Sierra or Bonita tower at the DLH you will get a large room with a sliding glass door that opens against a railing there are no balconies here. But the room is decorated with more "fun" touches than the GC. The main pool at the DLH is a Neverland Theme which is more fun than the beautiful Redwood themed pool at the GC.

Okay, how about PP and DLH? Which do you like better, dh just suggested this hotel. Also, I read at the PP that there is a special enterance into California Adventure. How far is it from the hotel? How about room size in each of the hotels, which has larger rooms?

As for the Disneyland Hotel, I've read that it has two pools (I know the Neverland pool) and a beach-like area?? We were there in 2002 and we never did see that area, is it around still?

I believe we stayed in the Bonita Tower the last time (view of the parking lot and we could see the fireworks), this is the tower where you check in, right?

You guys sick of me yet? ;) I've got even more questions to ask - LOL! Can't thank you all enough though for all your wonderful help!

I was not really impressed with th PP Hotel. The room is a decent size though smalle than the rooms in the DLH Sierra and Bonita Tower and maybe the same or larger than the Marina Tower and the GCH. The rooms have been completely redone and I haven't been in them, only have seen photos. They look fine. The PP hotel essentially has not grounds to it. The back side has a parking structure and is surrounded by parkinlots. The front side has awesome views of DCA and Disneyland in the distance. Our room was on the 13th floor and had an incredible view. The pool is on the fourth floor roof and is a rectangle in the middle od cement. There are some potted trees and plants and they just put in a new slide.
The Beach Pool at the DLH is by the back of the property. There is only one spot near the pool has real sand. The rest of the "beach" is the foam padded material they put in playgrounds. It is a pleasent enough area though. We enjoyed our time there.
The Marina Tower is the one you check into (which has the smalles rooms) some of the rooms face the parkinglot and have a view of the west side of Disneyland.
http://www.zansstuff.com/aerialdl.html
Click on the top photo ( for a quicker load). the DLH is on the far left. The Marina Tower is the one on the top.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter