GE dryer drum won't turn. Any clue?

Frwinkley

DIS Veteran
10 year old gas dryer. It seems to get heat, but admittedly it seems to be taking longer to dry. Now the drum has stopped spinning and is making a humming noise.

Is it just time to get a new dryer?

Time for a new one. 10 years is actually a long time for a dryer to last these days.

Ours is a Maytag, but it stopped turning too. It was still under warranty thankfully. It gave some warning, it would screech while running. It did that for a while, and then just quit. The best I can remember it was a bearing. It did not take them long to fix it, but I do not know how expensive that would have been if it wasn't covered.

We have a GE dryer that's at least 14 years old (it was in a house we bought in 09). The door won't close completely so we have to throw a sliding door over it to keep it shut. It sounds like it has marbles rolling around in it and it squeaks like crazy for the first 5-10 minutes it runs.

We should throw it out but we've got 1 more year in our current place before we move to another home that already has a dryer, so we limp along with this one. I never thought I'd be one of those people who just keeps something going with duct tape and bailing wire, but that's what we're doing with this dryer.

Last edited:
We had our Maytag washer and dryer for 21 years before I had to replace them. I replaced the pump and the belt in the washer 3x myself, and changed the belt in the dryer once. You tube is your friend for fixing things like this. I'm not a mechanic, but I managed to do it on the first try every time. Finally replaced them with another Maytag set last year, but I guarantee they won't last nearly as long as the first ones did. Nothing does these days :(
I hope yours is an easy fix.

I fixed mine twice watching youtube. And I am not super handy.
Once new belt, once heat protection circuit breaker, though I replaced the starter first which costed me $20 extra.

Sounds like belt or motor.

Mother board. I replaced the mother board on my LG dryer a couple of years ago. I think it was about $400.
What makes you think motherboard?

Look at the information given... drum won't turn and humming noise. Humming makes it sound like the motor is getting power, but isn't turning, or at least not turning something under load. OP, can you turn the drum by hand? This will eliminate an issue with a bearing or something physical with the drum.

BELT - easy fix, done it a few times. In my case, the pulley falls off the threads if there is a sudden stoppage or power failure... Last fix I put a dab of lock-tight on the pulley threads... no more falling off of the belt/pulley.

BELT - easy fix, done it a few times. In my case, the pulley falls off the threads if there is a sudden stoppage or power failure... Last fix I put a dab of lock-tight on the pulley threads... no more falling off of the belt/pulley.
I had a pulley that was shredding my belts. Got new belts too many times, even a new pulley which didn't help.

Our son overloaded the dryer with very wet clothes and broke it. DH bought a new drum under $150, followed YT to replace it and it’s been fine a few years since. Well, except for buying a new lint filter twice because the kids managed to crack them twice. Smh. At least they’re doing their own laundry right?

Bad motor or broken belt is my guess.
Yup, it's usually the belt though. It's easy to fix if you have both the basic tools and the slightest mechanical ability. Otherwise, the appliance repair persons will be paying a large portion of their kids college tuition.

Our son overloaded the dryer with very wet clothes and broke it. DH bought a new drum under $150, followed YT to replace it and it’s been fine a few years since. Well, except for buying a new lint filter twice because the kids managed to crack them twice. Smh. At least they’re doing their own laundry right?
Just curious, but why did you need to buy a new drum if the it was just the belt that broke?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter