Gender Reveal parties

I think they are ridiculous personally. However, life is hard enough and with all the bad crap going on out there, I do enjoy celebrating the good times and these are usually pretty low key.

What I don’t really care for is a baby shower for every single kid you have! My niece has had 4 kids (one set of twins) very close together (4 kids ages 3 and under!). and my sil insisted upon throwing these over the top showers for each pregnancy. I am talking catered events with like 50 plus people each time. It is ridiculous and all I could think about is the fact that they must now be buried alive with stuff. How many onesies can you possibly use?

I didn’t read all the replies.

If there’s Not A Fan Group, then I’ll join.

For Me….when we found out that our girls, were girls, it was a private moment between my DH and I, and then our parents afterwards. We didn’t need confetti falling from the sky and a group of people cheering like we just won some big contest.

Many times (not all times) these over the top parties are another way of trying to outdo others on social media. Sadly, many of us hear about them when something goes wrong and someone gets hurt.

I love gender reveal parties as long as they aren’t dangerous. I’m not much of a partier but I’ve helped plan a couple for coworkers at the office and they’ve been really fun.

It’s a big moment in someone’s life that they want to share. As someone who normally turns down wedding invitations, I understand people not liking them and it’s easy to just say no thank you and move on.

I think they are ridiculous personally. However, life is hard enough and with all the bad crap going on out there, I do enjoy celebrating the good times and these are usually pretty low key.

What I don’t really care for is a baby shower for every single kid you have! My niece has had 4 kids (one set of twins) very close together (4 kids ages 3 and under!). and my sil insisted upon throwing these over the top showers for each pregnancy. I am talking catered events with like 50 plus people each time. It is ridiculous and all I could think about is the fact that they must now be buried alive with stuff. How many onesies can you possibly use?
Absolutely!!
Baby showers should be a one and done - IMO.

I think my younger sister was more excited about finding out that I was having a girl when I was pregnant with my daughter because she got to offload 9 large storage containers of baby clothes to me. She literally showed up in a van one day, dragged them in and said "congrats, they're your problem now. You'll never have to buy clothes for her!"

As for baby shower...well, I didn't even get to go to mine. I was hospitalized to get a PICC line so I missed out. I told everyone to have fun, take pictures and all that. Some of the nurses and a few doctors tried to cheer me up and brought me little gifts since they knew what I was missing.

Absolutely!!
Baby showers should be a one and done - IMO.
Had no idea of this so its good to know.
Never heard of this Sprinkle thing - always seems to be a baby shower.
If first kid with a second\third husband (or significant other) a shower as well? How does that work?

I have over 20 nieces and nephews - and they all have multiple kids and many are on their second or third relationship so it does get out of hand. At this point many of their kids are also having weddings and showers. So it is endless.
Many times the second or third marriage is as big (or bigger) than the first one.

Luckily since we live in the states we don't get invited too often, and family is really happy when we are home as its an excuse for them not to go to these events.

Yeah - its like the Jerry Springer show I know, and probably why I am so tired of these things.

I love gender reveal parties as long as they aren’t dangerous. I’m not much of a partier but I’ve helped plan a couple for coworkers at the office and they’ve been really fun.

It’s a big moment in someone’s life that they want to share. As someone who normally turns down wedding invitations, I understand people not liking them and it’s easy to just say no thank you and move on.
I guess the bolded is what I don't get. The baby part being a big moment, I get. Have a party/shower/whatever to celebrate the baby. But the baby's sex is not--at all. We even chose not to know the sex of our first. (Do people still do that?)

I’m confused about the gift giving at a gender reveal party. I’ve read that you’re traditionally supposed to give gives to the parents and not the baby? Is that right?

I think they are only fun for the immediate family. I think it is fine to do one just you and your spouse (and kids if you have any) and maybe film it and post it on your social media for everyone to see. Or, have a small gathering with just the parents and siblings of the future mom and dad.

I think the big over the top parties with friends, neighbors, coworkers etc are ridiculous. But, in fairness, you can always chose not to attend.

My DD had just the immediate family over for the reveal for her second child. I think she just wanted to know what she was in for (another boy). But I love to quote my dear dad who used to say "you have a 50/50 shot at getting one or the other. If you get what you get, are you going to send it back?" I also think the tragic videos on line of parents going through the reveal and really wanting a boy or girl only to reveal the opposite are sad. Imagine being the kid in the future seeing your parent react negatively to your impending arrivial.

I’ve never been invited to one. I do think expecting gifts is too much, if you’ll also be having a baby shower and getting more gifts when the baby is born and/or baptized.

My personal choice when I was pregnant was not to find out. I truly had no preference, and after multiple miscarriages, was just happy to be having a healthy child. I’ve seen some videos where the Dad or siblings (it’s never the mom) are visibly upset/disappointed with the gender, and that makes me sad.

I also think the tragic videos on line of parents going through the reveal and really wanting a boy or girl only to reveal the opposite are sad. Imagine being the kid in the future seeing your parent react negatively to your impending arrivial.
Exactly, I was just posting the same thought at the same time. :(

I guess the bolded is what I don't get. The baby part being a big moment, I get. Have a party/shower/whatever to celebrate the baby. But the baby's sex is not--at all. We even chose not to know the sex of our first. (Do people still do that?)
I think that deep down the overwhelming majority of people have a preference on the sex of their child, even most of those who say they don’t. It’s human nature. It also doesn’t mean that you won’t love a child if it isn’t what you were wishing for.

Just like the majority of people who say they just want it to be healthy don’t mean they won’t love their child any less if it is unhealthy.

I should also note that I’ve never been to a reveal where gifts were expected or accepted. If that were my experience my opinion may be different.

I like to get together with friends/family and celebrate happy things! I don’t care if it’s a gender reveal party or sprinkle shower or whatever.

When given the opportunity to be generous with my loved ones, giving money, time, or energy, I do what I can and rarely regret it.

Same. Except I do think gender reveals are a bit silly but I still attend and am excited for my family and or friends. I do not give a gift and have never been to one that asked for gifts. It’s a nice time to have some snacks, maybe drinks and hang out and have fun since with my large family a get together is a true party and always a lot of fun.

As for baby showers and multiple showers they don’t bother me since in my circle baby showers are surprises. No one asks “can I throw you a shower.” It’s almost always a surprise. So you could have one thrown by your family, your spouses family, your friends, your coworkers. How do you say no? You walk into your shower and refuse to partake? I think this is cultural since I’m now seeing people throw their own showers or help plan their own showers.

The only issue I have with showers or any event that requires a gift is being invited to only events that require gifts from people who don’t speak to me any other time. If I’m not part of your social circle on a consistent basis then don’t invite me to events that are only going to cost me money. We have this issue with a certain section of my SOs family and it’s so old already. I’ve been over it for years. If we’re not good enough to make it to game night, or girls/guys njght, or a coffee date or brunch then don’t invite me to your gift giving events.

I think that deep down the overwhelming majority of people have a preference on the sex of their child, even most of those who say they don’t. It’s human nature. It also doesn’t mean that you won’t love a child if it isn’t what you were wishing for.

Just like the majority of people who say they just want it to be healthy don’t mean they won’t love their child any less if it is unhealthy.

I should also note that I’ve never been to a reveal where gifts were expected or accepted. If that were my experience my opinion may be different.
I agree, but I still think it's best not to leave video evidence of disappointment in the outcome behind.

I agree, but I still think it's best not to leave video evidence of disappointment in the outcome behind.
I can understand that. For me it comes from experience. I know that my Mom wanted a boy and my Dad wanted a girl when they had me. It’s always been an open part of the conversation. I have a great relationship with my Dad. 50+ years later we are planning a father/son weekend to St Louis this spring.

Personally, I think video evidence of his reaction would probably be something we’d look back at with laughter.

I can understand that. For me it comes from experience. I know that my Mom wanted a boy and my Dad wanted a girl when they had me. It’s always been an open part of the conversation. I have a great relationship with my Dad. 50+ years later we are planning a father/son weekend to St Louis this spring.

Personally, I think video evidence of his reaction would probably be something we’d look back at with laughter.
And that's fine. It's family folklore here that when I told my MIL our second was another boy she uttered "Oh hell". But it might be a different reception for others.

It's an excuse for a party, and I don't see any problem with that. It's especially nice for the pregnant mother, who probably doesn't feel like going out to bars or more traditional parties when she can't fully participate. I feel like they get way too much hate for what's ultimately a bunch of friends spending time together. But the way people describe it online, you'd think it's some kind of punishment.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter