Gender Reveal parties

:confused: It would literally be years between the time such a video (or whatever) was made, and the child would be old enough to have any understanding of it. How would they even ever see it?
The videos that both parents and all of their friends are tagged in on Facebook? Much easier to find than dad’s promo stash and we all knew where that was growing up haha.

Last edited:
The videos that both parents and all of their friends are tagged in on Facebook? Much easier to find than dad’s promo stash and we all knew where that was growing up haha.
Full disclosure - I'm not much of a social media user. Would it be common that something from lots of years ago would be easy for the theoretical child to stumble on? Would a child be likely to go fishing for long-past posts their parents have made? Have you ever looked for yours? And I guess this kind of a moot question, given we have no clue what social media will evolve into in the future. :confused3

As a millennial, I frequently have to remind people of this. Boomer and Gen X parents are the ones you see on Youtube or Facebook videos freaking out because their special little child lost the game, wasn't picked for the team, or failed a test.
um not Boomers as most boomers kids have not been a little child for quite sometime (even before youtube started)

I go to showers, not reveals, love going to weddings. Unfortunately I am of an age that I don't get invited to any of these anymore- just don't have anyone celebrating these events to whom I am close enough to be invited.

I think part of the issue with showers is that they, like so much else in this society, have become overblown. I had several showers when we were getting married (and I was also pregnant). We lived in CA but were being married in ME, near my family; DH's family was all in the midwest. The Thanksgiving before we got married, DH's mom/sisters had a small shower for us at MIL's home while we were in OH for the holiday, inviting only family member.s The theme was holiday gifts, and we got things like a turkey platter, baster and gravy separator, christmas dish towels, etc. Small gifts, just fun to spend time together and eat things other than Thanksgiving leftovers, hahaha. (also I wasn't pregnant at that point). Then the women at work had a combined wedding/baby shower for me. Due to the distance, none of them were coming to the wedding, but all wanted to celebrate and come to the shower. It was in the pool house at the complex where one of the girls lived, and we had sandwich trays and cake. They'd taken up a collection at work, got a wedding and a baby shower card, had everyone sign them and included gift certificates (one to Sears, one to ToysRUs... I think). Even the guys at work chipped in. IT was nice, and a complete surprise. Then my sister had a shower for me at home, invited my siblings, aunts, and cousins. It was a kitchen shower (we'd been grad students, living in dorms, and then for 5 years in our apartment, but on a grad student income) so people gave us kitchen gadgets, dish towels, and my cousins chipped in for a small set of RevereWare cookware. This was another small shower, held in a friend's home with sandwich platters and cake. NONE of these involved large halls, catered meals, music and dancing, etc. There was no pressure or judgement if you didn't come, and also if you didn't participate in the games (like Toilet Paper Bride). Nobody took it personally if you didn't attend, OR if you didn't get invited. Sometimes I think all the "hate" is because these kinds of events have become so big, expensive, and out of hand for what should be just a small celebration of the close, interested parties.

Same. Except I do think gender reveals are a bit silly but I still attend and am excited for my family and or friends. I do not give a gift and have never been to one that asked for gifts. It’s a nice time to have some snacks, maybe drinks and hang out and have fun since with my large family a get together is a true party and always a lot of fun.

As for baby showers and multiple showers they don’t bother me since in my circle baby showers are surprises. No one asks “can I throw you a shower.” It’s almost always a surprise. So you could have one thrown by your family, your spouses family, your friends, your coworkers. How do you say no? You walk into your shower and refuse to partake? I think this is cultural since I’m now seeing people throw their own showers or help plan their own showers.

The only issue I have with showers or any event that requires a gift is being invited to only events that require gifts from people who don’t speak to me any other time. If I’m not part of your social circle on a consistent basis then don’t invite me to events that are only going to cost me money. We have this issue with a certain section of my SOs family and it’s so old already. I’ve been over it for years. If we’re not good enough to make it to game night, or girls/guys njght, or a coffee date or brunch then don’t invite me to your gift giving events.
I believe you are in the same area as I am, it’s funny that you say showers are surprises! My son and daughter in law, know about their shower, although, not planning it. So, we are at the age where all of our sons friends and our friends kids having baby showers. They not only not have been surprises, some have been at their home, not their parents or friends homes. We even went to one where they didn’t want the gifts wrapped! They were having all gifts unwrapped with little cards as to who the gift was from! Included in the invitations usually include a card for a diaper raffle and one for bring a new or used book for the baby.

I believe you are in the same area as I am, it’s funny that you say showers are surprises! My son and daughter in law, know about their shower, although, not planning it. So, we are at the age where all of our sons friends and our friends kids having baby showers. They not only not have been surprises, some have been at their home, not their parents or friends homes. We even went to one where they didn’t want the gifts wrapped! They were having all gifts unwrapped with little cards as to who the gift was from! Included in the invitations usually include a card for a diaper raffle and one for bring a new or used book for the baby.

Yup I’m seeing that now with the new generation!

I have heard some of the younger ones (20s) have started being apart of planning their own showers and some downright throw their own shower.

But the smaller work showers, friends showers, etc are still usually a surprise.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter