General runDisney info, questions, and resources

WillRunForPizza

DIS Veteran
This thread is for:
  • compiling resources to answer frequently asked questions in the forum
  • providing a place to share general runDisney updates and ask questions not related to a specific race weekend
  • sharing tips for having your best runDisney experience!
While we have threads for each race weekend, sometimes questions and discussions come up about rD in general - places to stay, how to handle park time vs. race prep, when to arrive, how registration works, etc. I hope this thread will be a good resource for newbies and veterans alike as well as a chance for everyone to chat about news and updates!

General Info
Upcoming race weekends

Springtime Surprise Weekend 2024 [thread]
Yoga/expo 1st day: April 18
Neverland 5K: April 19
Adventure Is Out There 10K: April 20
Hakuna Matata 10-Miler: April 21
Stitch's 'Ohana Challenge: 5K, 10K, 10M

Disneyland Halloween Weekend 2024 [thread]
Yoga (Goofy)/expo 1st day: September 5
5K (Chip & Dale/trick or treat): September 6
10K (Haunted Mansion): September 7
Kids races: September 7
HM (Minnie, Daisy and Clarabelle as the Sanderson Sisters): September 8
Chills & Thrills Challenge: 10K, HM

Wine & Dine Weekend 2024 [thread]
Race weekend: October 31 - November 3

Marathon Weekend 2025 [thread]
Race weekend: January 9 - 12

Disneyland Half Weekend 2025 [thread]
Race weekend: January 30 - February 2

Princess Weekend 2025 [thread]
Race weekend: February 20 - 24

Springtime Surprise Weekend 2025 [thread]
Race weekend: April 3 - 6

Virtual races

Summer Virtual Series 2024 [thread]

12Ks of Christmas

Club runDisney [thread]

Platinum ($959)
  • 2 guaranteed registrations (for yourself, nontransferable) per race weekend
  • Earliest access to the expo on day 1
  • Upgraded corral placement (so far in corral B)
  • All Silver benefits
Gold ($613)
  • 1 guaranteed registration (for yourself, nontransferable) per race weekend
  • Earlier access to the expo on day 1
  • All Silver benefits
Silver ($279)
  • Welcome packet (jacket, magnet, membership card, virtual 10K medal)
  • Virtual 10K
  • Club runDisney designation on race bibs
  • Early access to renew membership
Acronyms

RunDisney
MW: Marathon Weekend
PW: Princess Weekend
SS/StS: Springtime Surprise
WD/W&D: Wine & Dine
DL: Disneyland (race weekend)
CrD: Club runDisney
POT: proof of time

General running
HM: half marathon (but also sometimes Haunted Mansion 😅)
M: marathon
GAP: grade-adjusted pace (for hills)
MPW: miles per week
PR/PB: personal record/personal best [time]
DOMS: delayed-onset muscle soreness

Forum
SAFD: Sundays are for Disney (weekly question in the current MW thread)

Last edited:
[IN PROGRESS]

FAQs

Registration

When is registration day?
The dates for each race weekend are listed in the post above. In recent years, registration has officially opened at 10 a.m. Eastern time.

How do I register?
1. Make sure you are at your computer before registration opens. Links to the virtual queue have gone live up to 15 minutes before registration begins. However, anyone who enters the queue before registration starts is placed in the queue in a random order, and anyone who enters the queue after registration starts is added to the end of the queue. In other words, it doesn't matter whether you join the queue 3 or 12 minutes early, but if you join 1 minute late, you will (theoretically) be after everyone who joined early.

2. You can use multiple browsers/devices to increase your chances of getting a better random placement in the queue. Each device or browser will have a different queue ID. Multiple tabs opened in the same browser will have the same queue ID.

3. You CANNOT edit after registration: email address, name, date of birth, gender. You CAN edit other fields, so just pick whatever is fastest.

4. You can register multiple people in one transaction. However, registrations in your "cart" are not held for you, so if a race sells out while you are registering person #3, you're out of luck. Decide whether your approach is "everyone runs or no one does" or if you will prioritize certain registrations before going back for others if possible.

Find a detailed rundown of the registration process with screenshots here.

Can I register for another person? If I do, how do I send them their registration?
You can register for someone else, either in a single transaction or in multiple transactions. Make sure you enter their information, including the correct email. Once you complete the registration(s), you will have an option in your runDisney account to transfer the registration. If you registered someone else, you will send them the link and this sometimes causes the registration to "disappear." This can be corrected at the expo by completing the paper waiver and showing them your confirmation email.

How quickly do races sell out?
Short answer: very quickly. For individual race sellout times, see this post.

I didn't get in! Am I doomed?
Not necessarily. If you didn't get a spot in the race you wanted, you have a couple of options.

1. Run with a charity. This is a good opportunity to still have the race weekend you dreamed of and support a good cause. RunDisney keeps a list of official charity partners, and if you ask on the relevant weekend thread, someone may have run with the charity you're interested in before and can provide more info.

2. Follow a registration alert account. Occasionally small numbers of spots will open up in a race, and if you're quick, you can snag one. Follow @runDisAlerts on Twitter, Telegram, Slack, or D i s c o r d and sign up for notifications to try to get a bib.

Planning for the weekend

When should I arrive?
You'll need to pick up your bib at the expo at least one day before the race. Expo hours usually run until early evening (7 or 8) for the first days and then until mid-afternoon on the last day (Saturday). So make sure you give yourself at least enough time to get to the expo before it closes on the day before your race.

What will the race route look like?
Unlike most races, Disney course maps aren't released until they publish the digital event guide about two weeks before the races (the link is the same for each race and will be password protected if no race guide is available). However, recently courses for each race weekend have been similar from year to year, so you may be able to get a general idea.

Where should I stay?
People have shared thoughts on hotels in many previous race weekend threads, so you can search there for recommendations. You can also check out the specific threads for WDW race hotels and DL race hotels.

Do I need a Proof of Time (POT)?
If you are running a HM or M at Disney and you have run a recent HM in less than 2:15* or a marathon in less than 4:30, or the equivalent, it is a very good idea to submit proof of time before the deadline for your race so that you will be placed in an earlier corral. Lots more info on POT, including corral cutoffs, here.

*For the 2024 Disneyland Halloween HM and Wine & Dine HM, the cutoff has been extended to a 2:30 HM or equivalent.

What corral will I be in?
You won't know for sure until you get your bib at the expo. But you can make a good guess based on the POT chart if you submitted a POT. Without a POT, you can get a general sense of what your placement might be once you get your bib number (from your expo pass) and people start sharing their numbers and estimated finishing times.

How do I sign my waiver?
All participants must sign a waiver in order to run. US-based participants can complete their waivers online through their runDisney account. International participants (as well as any US residents who forget or have issues with registration transfers) can sign the waivers quickly and easily at the expo before picking up their bibs; you will just need your confirmation email.

I can no longer participate. Can I get my money back? Or can my friend run instead?
Officially there are no refunds for race registrations. Sometimes people are able to get a gift card for part of the fee if they email runDisney and explain the circumstances, but it it's a case-by-case decision on their part. Race registrations are not transferable.

Expo

Where and when is the expo?
At WDW, the expo is held at ESPN Wide World of Sports. At DL, the expo is at the Disneyland Hotel. It opens the day before the first race and closes the day before the last race (Thursday - Saturday for every weekend except MW when it starts on Wednesday).

How do I get there?
Disney provides busses from WDW hotels during expo hours. Alternatively, parking is free. You would need to pay to park at DL.

Do I need to use the virtual queue?
You should use the virtual queue if (a) you are attending the expo on the first day AND (b) you want to go into the official runDisney merchandise building (which also has characters). If you are visiting on any day other than the first day, or if you only want to pick up your bib and/or visit the Health & Fitness Expo (where the race shirts/non-runDisney vendors are), you do not need a virtual queue spot.

Sometimes they don't bother with the virtual queue if the crowds die down in the afternoon, but you never know. Plan to use the virtual queue if you want to go to the rD merch area on day 1. Instructions for joining here.

Can I pick up someone else's bib?
Parents may pick up bibs for minor children. Otherwise, you can only pick up your own bib. You will need your ID and bib number (which will be on the expo pass you'll receive a few days before the expo). If you forget your ID, you may be able to use a photo of it from your phone.

My flight was delayed and I won't arrive before the expo closes. Can I pick up my bib at the race?
Officially, no. However, historically people have been able to get their bibs on race morning in extenuating circumstances. If you are in this situation, plan to arrive at the race as early as possible. Even though it's been available in the past, emergency bib pickup availability is not guaranteed, and you shouldn't plan on it.

Race Day

What time should I get there?
The races start at 5 a.m. At WDW, official transportation starts running at 3 a.m. (5K/10K) or 2:30 a.m. (10M/HM/M). Get there as early as possible if you want photos with the pre-race characters; those lines are often closed before the corrals even open. Give yourself enough time at least to get through security at Epcot, drop off your gear bag if applicable, and make your way to your corral. Check the event guide for corral opening and closing times.

Should I take the bus or drive to WDW races?
Advantages of the bus: camaraderie, not having to drive in the middle of the night, shorter walk to the start area

Advantages of driving: flexibility, not having to worry about your bus getting lost (which has happened but is not common)

Also worth noting: access to Epcot parking lots is not available after 4 a.m., so if you're driving, make sure you arrive before 4 or you'll have to park at Hollywood Studios and take a bus anyway.

You cannot walk to the start line at WDW. All participants and spectators must arrive by car or bus and go through security.

What roads will be closed?
See the event guide for road closures. Google Maps will also typically reroute you to avoid the closures on race day.

How fast do I need to go?
For the 10K and longer distances, you must maintain a 16 minute/mile (9:57/km) pace beginning from the point where the balloon ladies cross the starting mat. The balloon ladies indicate the sweep point; that doesn't mean that you'll be swept from the race immediately if you fall behind them, but you could be. That also means that if you start significantly ahead of the balloon ladies (in an earlier corral or even closer to the front of the last corral), you would be able to average slower than 16 min/mile and still be okay. A good way to keep track of where the 16 min/mile cutoff is is to get the bib numbers for the last pair of Galloway pacers (released close to race day).

If you are tracking your pace on your watch and are concerned about being swept, make sure your watch is NOT set to automatically pause when you stop moving - bathroom breaks and character stops still count as part of your overall race pace!

The 5K is not officially timed (except for Dopey participants) and has a looser time limit. CMs will simply herd people along when they need to clear the course.

What fuel/drinks will be on the course?
For the 5K/10K: water only

For the HM/M: water/Powerade at all water stops, plus usually one food station (for the half) or three food stations (for the marathon. Food stations may have bananas OR a commercial running fuel like Sport Beans.

You should plan to carry your own fuel, both so you can have whatever you practiced with and so you can have enough for the race. It is not necessary to carry your own hydration unless you prefer to, as there are generally water stops every mile or so.

Where should my friends/family go to see me run?
The event guide will also have spectator information. Particularly if your spectators want to see you for a shorter race, they will probably need to take runner transportation to arrive early enough.

How do I get my photos?
On the back of your bib will be a formula for entering your code into My Disney Experience to get your photos. (If your bib # is less than 5 digits, add 0s to the front until you reach 5 digits to link your photos.) Disney is fairly quick about getting photos uploaded and tagged, but it may take several days to get all of your photos. Make sure your bib number is clearly visible on your front to ensure your photos are identifiable.

Last edited:

Updates

February 2024

- No more virtual versions of in-person races. The only virtual races going forward will be the summer series and the 12Ks of Christmas.

- New POT cutoff: 2:30 HM. The deadline is also significantly earlier, so plan ahead. See POT thread for estimated equivalencies.

Last edited:

Oh hey, one update that could actually belong here: Someone posted on FB that rD confirmed they're not doing any more virtual versions of in-person races. They'll still have the virtual summer and 12Ks of Christmas series.

Oh hey, one update that could actually belong here: Someone posted on FB that rD confirmed they're not doing any more virtual versions of in-person races. They'll still have the virtual summer and 12Ks of Christmas series.
I'm afraid that's going to push more demand to the in-person races, making registration even more difficult.

Bib numbers need to be 0-filled on the front end if your bib # is shorter than 5(?) digits to make them the required length to link for photopass.

Re: ID's for bibs. I used a picture of my drivers license I had on my phone to pick up my bib this year when I left it in my wallet in our room.

Waivers are completed electronically for domestic runners, and on paper at the expo for international runners. If you registered someone else, you will send them the link and this sometimes causes the registration to "disappear." This can be corrected at the expo by completing the paper waiver and showing them your confirmation email.

One question I see a lot, not necessarily on the boards, is “can I walk to the start line from the International Gateway?”

No, there actually is no walking allowed to the start line. All runners and spectators need to arrive at Epcot(or whichever park is the start line) by car or bus to go through security.

I'm afraid that's going to push more demand to the in-person races, making registration even more difficult.
Yep…..
last year even with four tabs on my end and two on my sisters we would of been shut out of wine & dine for the first time if not for getting DMed a link here…

We are new to RunDisney ecosystem and wanting to get more information for planning purposes, but the official RD website is shockingly vague on details and a bit disjointed. We've amassed a bit of knowledge mainly through this forum over the past couple days, but can anyone answer some of the following questions...

1. How far in advance of a RD event does this website come into existence?
  2. Am I crazy or is it not linked on the official RD website? I couldn't find a link for it and only managed to stumble across it on one of the forums here. It seems to have a lot of the info someone would need for planning purposes but somehow isn't readily available.
  3. Are spectators permitted along the course in areas where the general public would regularly be allowed if an event wasn't occurring? For example, the Boardwalk? Disney has listed official spectator areas; just wonder if those were the only ones.
  4. Are the medals revealed a head of time, or is it just like a surprise when the RD weekend starts?
  5. Is Yoga only offered at some RD weekends? I don't see it for the Food and Wine event in October/November.
  6. Is there like a hub, space, or app or something where Disney compiles all the info you need for the race weekend? Or is that website above it? Again, without reading the information contained in this thread as well as others in this forum we'd know next to none of the important details about these events, so it just seems bonkers to me that this isn't "housed" somewhere by Disney, so I'm just like what am I missing, is it somewhere and I'm just not seeing it?

Thanks for any information!

We are new to RunDisney ecosystem and wanting to get more information for planning purposes, but the official RD website is shockingly vague on details and a bit disjointed. We've amassed a bit of knowledge mainly through this forum over the past couple days, but can anyone answer some of the following questions...

1. How far in advance of a RD event does this website come into existence?
  2. Am I crazy or is it not linked on the official RD website? I couldn't find a link for it and only managed to stumble across it on one of the forums here. It seems to have a lot of the info someone would need for planning purposes but somehow isn't readily available.
  3. Are spectators permitted along the course in areas where the general public would regularly be allowed if an event wasn't occurring? For example, the Boardwalk? Disney has listed official spectator areas; just wonder if those were the only ones.
  4. Are the medals revealed a head of time, or is it just like a surprise when the RD weekend starts?
  5. Is Yoga only offered at some RD weekends? I don't see it for the Food and Wine event in October/November.
  6. Is there like a hub, space, or app or something where Disney compiles all the info you need for the race weekend? Or is that website above it? Again, without reading the information contained in this thread as well as others in this forum we'd know next to none of the important details about these events, so it just seems bonkers to me that this isn't "housed" somewhere by Disney, so I'm just like what am I missing, is it somewhere and I'm just not seeing it?

Thanks for any information!

1: 1-2 weeks before the events. And they reuse the same website URL for all races, so sites are not "archived"
2: It's listed under the event under Runner Info. Also it is referenced under the Expo tab (but weirdly isn't linked)
3: Yes, spectators can be in "public" areas. Also, depending on the race they can be in other spots as well, e.g. Magic Kingdom for the half/full at 0 dark 30 before the park opens.
4: Medals are revealed ahead of time, generally a few months in advance (but not before event registration). Ex: MW24 medals were revealed in August '23.
5: They seem to be adding yoga to most events. Not sure why not F&W unless it's because they have an official afterparty.
6:The digital expo guide is pretty much it. And sadly, now that they reuse the URL, it is not available year round as a reference (In the old days the guides were hosted differently and had unique URLs that you could see after the event--even archived at Wayback Machine}

Last edited:
1: 1-2 weeks before the events. And they reuse the same website URL for all races, so sites are not "archived"
2: It's listed under the event under Runner Info. Also it is referenced under the Expo tab (but weirdly isn't linked)
3: Yes, spectators can be in "public" areas. Also, depending on the race they can be in other spots as well, e.g. Magic Kingdom for the half/full at 0 dark 30 before the park opens.
4: Medals are revealed ahead of time, generally a few months in advance (but not before event registration). Ex: MW24 medals were revealed in August '23.
5: They seem to be adding yoga to most events. Not sure why not F&W unless it's because they have an official afterparty.
6:The digital expo guide is pretty much it. And sadly, now that they reuse the URL, it is not available year round as a reference (In the old days the guides were hosted differently and had unique URLs that you could see after the event--even archived at Wayback Machine}
Thanks, I really appreciate the info!

Followup...are course maps not released until that digital expo site goes live for an events 1-2 weeks ahead of time?

Followup...are course maps not released until that digital expo site goes live for an events 1-2 weeks ahead of time?

You can look at old maps to get a general idea about the course design for a specific weekend, but no guarantees they don't change it up. This website is the most comprehensive collection of old courses (link).

Thanks for this thread; lots of good info here that helps this rD newbie. :)

Regarding the Expo day 1 and the Virtual Queue, where do I pickup pre-purchased merch? If I only want to pickup my bib, race shirt, and pre-purchased merch, do I need to join the VQ?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter