Generic Motion Sickness medicine?

ALostBoy

Mouseketeer
Hi all,

I never new how much I used the search function on these
boards until now. Anyway I remember a thread about
a generic motion sickness medicine, does anyone remember
the name? Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.

I bought a medicine called Bonine at Walmart after reading about it on a thread here. Haven't tried it yet, though.

I get car sick and sick on the cruises.
I tried Bonine and LOVE it!!!!!!

I take two an hour or so before travel and feel great!

Good luck!
Kamy

Bonine is the same drug as the generic drug "Meclizine". If you go to the pharmacy at Wal-Mart, you can buy a huge bottle of Meclizine for a much smaller amount than a small package of Bonine.

Take it from me, a motion-sickness veteran: Meclizine is the best way to go!!

You know what else works well besides Bonine? Eating crystalized Ginger candy... Sounds fruity, but I swear it works!

Another remedy is Dramamine - probably sold right next to Bonine in the stores. Just get whatever's cheaper. :)

The benefit of Bonine (or its generic equivalent) over Dramimine is that it doesn't make you sleep like Dramimine can.

As a lover of meclizine (I call it my lil yellow happy pill), just a warning. Some people still get sleepy with it. I don't advocate taking medicine you don't need -- but if you are a lightweight like me, you might "try" it before you really need it. I can only take half a pill if I want to be able to walk straight!

But it works . . .

Make sure you eat properly (stay away from all the sugar) and stay hydrated. That will help with dizziness, too. Have fun!

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the replys. Meclizine is the name I
remember from a previous post.

I guess I will try a half a pill to start and see how
that goes.

Thanks again.:D

I use the less drowsy formula of Dramamine. It works wonders! I went on a cruise a couple years ago and ate, ate, ate while others were in their rooms trying not to be sick! LOL :-) Paula

The non/less drowsy dramamine is called dramamine II. It is chewable, like bonine & lasts 24 hours.

It's great!

Your DIS pharmacist
Gillian

As a person who gets motion sick on a bus or train, much less theme park rides, my vote is for ginger pills (I've tried everything on the market, including prescription drugs). You can get them in a health food store or in most chain pharmacies. I'm also trying the wrist bands this year.

Good luck.

Next time I go I think I'll try the ginger pills. I took the non drowsy Dramamine II the last time we went dw and I almost fell out of my seat when we were watching a show *the one with the birds, I can't remember probaby b/c I was half asleep* It made me sooo sleepy. I wasn't tired before it, in fact, it was the middle of the day. I took the recommended dosage so I guess it had a different effect on me. It took a while before it wore off.

Originally posted by donna in Oz
Bonine is the same drug as the generic drug "Meclizine". If you go to the pharmacy at Wal-Mart, you can buy a huge bottle of Meclizine for a much smaller amount than a small package of Bonine.

Take it from me, a motion-sickness veteran: Meclizine is the best way to go!!

Does Meclizine make you drowsy???

Hi docwkids:

My daugher 23, gets severe migraine headaches, is on apo nadolol 40 mg. 3 and one half pills a day to prevent migraines. She will need something for the drive down and rides, can she safely take gravol, meclizine, dramimine, etc. She is usually ready to throw up by the time we have driven 4 hours. It is terrible for her. any comments.

thanks,

Deb.

Thanks.

Docswkids, can you explain why those of us who do get sick on rides get so sick? I get very nauseas and sweaty. Does it have to do with the inner ear? (I also have allergies, but I take allergy shots and meds to keep them under control.)

Thanks!

Deb, your daughter probably can take a motion sickness medication with her nadolol but the best advice I can give you is to have your daughter check with her doctor first. Sometimes we give patients medications like compazine or tigan for a migraine headache, and these drugs can be helpful for motion sickness.
Mkingdom , I have always thought of the tendency to get motion sickness as an inherited trait. If you know that you are going to be doing things that make you sick, like taking a boat ride, or going to disney(!), you might want to ask your doctor about the scopalamine patch. My husband used to get seasick every time we went out on the ocean in a boat, be it a whale watch, fishing trip or snorkeling trip. We just waited for him to throw up and then went on with our day. The scopalamine patch works extremely well for him. This medication does have some unwanted side effects and it is best tried ahead of time first, before your vacation, because it makes some people feel ill. This is actually a good idea for all of the medications for motion sickness; a trial before vacation.

Disclaimer: I am NOT a doctor -- if you have any questions about your own health, seek professional advice. This is just my personal experience.

I think the sweats can come when you start realizing you are getting sick -- adrenaline kicks in -- Oh no, I'm getting sick! I panic, I sweat.

BUT, I also think it could be a sign of something else. Dizzy AND sweaty is usually a sign I need to eat. No fanny pack is complete without a trial size deodorant and lots of antibacterial wipes for cooling off.

I started off with ear infections that wouldn't go away. When they finally did, I was still dizzy. GP sent me to an ENT who sent me to a neurologist who put me on meclizine (prescription strength -- couldn't hack it so now I take over the counter and HALF the pill so I can still function -- so much for non-drowsy for this lightweight). I used to have severe migraines also -- often while driving. Meclizine was wonderful! My lil yellow happy pill took the edge off everything (even the headaches), curbed my appetite (lost weight!) and also helped with my allergies since it includes an antihistamine (which is what curbed my appetite). The only problem -- I couldn't hold a thought because I was so sluggish.

To make a long story longer (sorry!), I _finally_ found out most everything went back to low blood sugar, hypoglycemia, for me. Even though I test in the "normal" range for blood sugar, I get low easily between meals or if I eat the wrong foods. This is sort of the opposite of diabetes, but the recommended diet is very similar. I don't need medicine for it. I might need meclizine 2x a year now to control dizziness. I just eat more often and try to avoid sugars and simple carbohydrates (well--at least only in moderation and preferably with protein). I rarely get a headache either.

BEFORE:
When I am at WDW, I am in sensory overload. It can be easy to "forget" to eat or stick to a normal schedule. Breakfast might be a nutrigrain bar and OJ (sounds "healthy," but too much sugar for me by itself). I need a quick bite around 10:30 so I reach for a coke and candy bar (NONONO!). By lunch, I am irritable -- not mean, just _easily_ annoyed -- and my head has started hurting. Grabbing a quick bite doesn't seem to help -- so I have to sit down by 1:30. If I don't eat something good soon, I will be out of commission for the day. Well, meclizine helped ease the headaches and the dizziness -- but since it curbed my appetite if I took it regularly -- it actually hurt me. I didn't want to look at food, and food was the only thing that made me feel better.

NOW:
I do great now that my husband and I know what to look for. Do you feel fuzzy -- hard to concentrate? Do you get the shakes? Are you sweaty when you aren't really hot? Are you lightheaded? Do you feel like you are spinning? I also have clued in that if I keep dropping things, I probably have shakes in my hands and don't even realize it. DH keeps me to a strict eating schedule -- breakfast (preferably with eggs involved), something light at 10:30 or so, lunch, mid-afternoon snack (not too sweet), early dinner, light snack if I need it around 8 or so. It makes all the difference. I can ride most rides -- but this last week, RnR did get me. I sat down for 10 minutes while DH ran over to ToT and was fine the rest of the day. I don't do ToT -- too chicken. Star Tours got to me a lil this time, too, so I just focused on the droid instead of the flashing lights. Eat before you ride! I know you think you will be more likely to get sick, but you might find the right food will actually settle your stomach. Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches are wonderful pickmeups if you feel "low." PB&J are often on the kids' menu.

EAT!! Eat healthy and often. Stay hydrated (water not soft drinks -- be careful of too much juice -- it is high in sugar even though it is very good for you). Take it easy. Split a child's hot dog meal with someone and see if you feel better even if you just ate an hour ago. Keep the Mickey Bars to a minimum. Try it at home. See if it helps. It has made all the difference for me.

Good luck!!

Hello Missing Mickey:

Coming from a family of mother suffers bad migraines, and daughter worse headaches than mother and son occassionally gets the migraines, I totally agree with what you have had to say about eating. A migraine sufferer should not go more than 5 hours between meals or 13 hours through the night, and the snack in between meals is a must.

Even when I have the worst headache and am ready to throw up I have to eat something and usually the throw up feeling goes away.

But we are from canada and my hubby worries about who is going to get sick at the wdw parks and the high cost as the canadian dollar is so low what would be around $50.00 american is $80.00 canadian, so it can get to be a pretty expensive day if a couple of us get sick from rides after only a couple of hours and have to go back to the hotel and lie down, by the way that is another reason why we have to stay onsite, case someone is sick with a migraine and heads back to the hotel.

I drop alot of things and I never thought of it as a pre migraine thingy, I will have to notice if I get dropsy and then a migraine.

Can you tell me what meclizine is, is it a motion sickness pill, or a migraine pill? Also can you buy it off the shelf in the united states at drug stores? Thanks,

Deb.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter