Genie+ And Ticket price increase 10/11/2022

I just returned yesterday from the parks and OBB. The other poster above is correct, if you don't have G+, you will get done what you can at RD (Early Entry for resort guests was also very helpful for us to get in a few rides on SM and then be at the rope for the rush to HMH at actual RD), and then you will be in VERY LONG lines all day. For everything. Even with G+, refresh and all the tactics, the LL lines were sometimes quite long; the SB lines were atrocious. Breakdowns and lack of entertainment made it worse.

However, many on these boards (myself included) feel that the parks are more and more crowded, and we are hoping for a solution. Since Disney seems to be doing little to control park crowds (they spread it out with park reservations but they always seem to have "room for one more" if you are staying at their hotels, so there is really no cap of attendance until you hit the fire code; if the number of reservations is not high for a certain day, then cut staffing and it still feels very crowded), the only way to lower crowds is to raise prices and drop the demand for the parks (but they would have to keep staffing at high levels to maintain a better guest experience, for this to work for the guests...). Sadly, I think they are likely raising the prices, keeping lines long to drive people to G+, and keep the staffing at the slimmest possible level, just enough so that people won't riot in the parks and might consider a repeat visit. Even if people don't return after a bad first visit, if Disney has enough new families (people have kids every day, and they want to take their littles to Disney, just like I did!) to fill the loss of other guests, they make the same money. I am bummed but not surprised.

I mean they could technically lower the crowds by actually capping the reservations at a manageable number…. But they won’t.

The parks are a premium experience and it comes with a premium price.

Except right now, they really aren’t.

The parks are massively crowded.
At the same time, they are very understaffed.
Ride lines are incredibly long.
Rides, including major headliners, are constantly breaking down every day.
Rides are run down, effects not working.
No stage shows.
No parades.
Toontown is under an extended closure.

Nothing about the park experience is premium right now. Yet prices keep going up and perks are removed (free fast pass for all) or reduced (early hour for hotel guests is now early half hour).

Disneyland USED to be a premium experience. But it just isn’t right now.

they tried and the people complained for not being able to make reservations. So they release more availability and the people complain that it's too crowded. No one wins!

The only reason they truly limited reservations was due to post Covid staffing issues…. I dunno. After the sub par experiences people have experienced lately, you may have less grumbling about decreased availability of reservations if it means the experience is improved.

No stage shows.
No parades.

Nothing about the park experience is premium right now. Yet prices keep going up and perks are removed (free fast pass for all) or reduced (early hour for hotel guests is now early half hour).

You just responded exactly how I was going to…. Perfectly said.

I wonder what would happen if Disney went the way of Universal and made genie plus a separate ticket that cost a lot more…. Would the standby lines be better? The lines at Universal can get pretty terrible….. there doesn’t seem to be as many people who buy express there…. So maybe it wouldn’t help at all.

They key difference is that Universal Orlando offers ExpressPass with the top tier hotels, so that is a major perk to staying onsite. ExpressPass on its own is pretty expensive. I found ExpressPass to be incredibly helpful in cutting down on time spent in line.

They key difference is that Universal Orlando offers ExpressPass with the top tier hotels, so that is a major perk to staying onsite. ExpressPass on its own is pretty expensive. I found ExpressPass to be incredibly helpful in cutting down on time spent in line.

Yes but I meant Universal Studios Hollywood.

You’re right…. It’s pretty pricey on its own in California. Especially during peak times. Not many people seem to buy it.

I am thinking MK renewals open up with a price hike as well. We had been planning on trying to get some but with all the current chatter of the park experience, I am now not sure.

I sure do hope to hear better reports after Halloween.

Good old Disney fleecing their fans again. I suppose it's better than raising ticket prices.

Genie+ is unequivocally ruining the guest experience on all fronts as it relates to riding the rides. I feel ripped off when I don't buy it and feel ripped off when I do. In the end, I am just getting ripped off.

Seriously, I have walked out of the Space Mountain line twice. Once in the lightning lane and once in the standby. In the standby where they didn't move the line for almost 20 minutes and in the lighting when it took over 40 minutes as the lightning lane was backed out to the scanners. I've been in so many lines where the line for lightning lane was longer than the standby.

I've been hoping they would get rid of it, but it sure doesn't sound like it.

I wonder what would happen if Disney went the way of Universal and made genie plus a separate ticket that cost a lot more…. Would the standby lines be better? The lines at Universal can get pretty terrible….. there doesn’t seem to be as many people who buy express there…. So maybe it wouldn’t help at all.

Universal Hollywood gets about half the visitors that Disneyland does and also has much less to do there, so it's sort of hard to judge them side by side in that regard. And Universal truly does have off-peak days where you don't even need an express pass to get everything done in one day. Even a "slow" day at Disney still isn't THAT slow. [I can't judge US Orlando, because I've never been. But USH for sure.)

That said, there is a numbers game here, a mix of cost vs. crowd control that could keep Lightning Lanes manageable, but also keep standby lines more manageable than they have been for those on a budget. They just haven't found the right mix yet, and who knows if they ever will. I suppose MaxPass worked better because there was still a free FastPass option, and the fee for MaxPass was just for an upgraded experience. (And I say that as one of the people who have had ZERO problems using Genie+, whether out of pure luck or good timing.)

Good old Disney fleecing their fans again. I suppose it's better than raising ticket prices.

Genie+ is unequivocally ruining the guest experience on all fronts as it relates to riding the rides. I feel ripped off when I don't buy it and feel ripped off when I do. In the end, I am just getting ripped off.

Seriously, I have walked out of the Space Mountain line twice. Once in the lightning lane and once in the standby. In the standby where they didn't move the line for almost 20 minutes and in the lighting when it took over 40 minutes as the lightning lane was backed out to the scanners. I've been in so many lines where the line for lightning lane was longer than the standby.

I've been hoping they would get rid of it, but it sure doesn't sound like it.
I have also been hoping (praying is more like it) that they would get rid of Genie+.

Also, they *did* raise ticket prices. 🤦‍♀️

I'm in same boat. I bought without genie+ from UT for our trip at beginning of January. I hesitate to cancel the tickets, get refund, then repurchase with genie+ though... I'm in Canada and I'll lose any savings of the genie+ cost to credit card conversion rates and terrible current exchange rate for CAD. I wrote an email to UT asking if there was a way for them to just charge me the additional genie+ cost and add them onto the tickets. Haven't heard back yet...
I initially asked UT if they could upgrade our tickets and we pay the difference and they said it wasn’t possible. We had to do a new purchase and then wait (up to 14 days) for a refund on the original tickets.

No stage shows.
No parades.

You just responded exactly how I was going to…. Perfectly said.
That's fine to hold that opinion, but that isn't everyone's opinion. I am able to look at what is being offered, which is still a lot for what they are charging.

The value has been and continues to be there for my family.

Ummmmm does that say starting at $25 prices vary by date in the picture there? How high does it go?

Edit to add - just found another article and apparently they aren't saying just how high it can go just that it's based on demand.
How high does it go?.............................How much is in your wallet? LOL

Universal Hollywood gets about half the visitors that Disneyland does and also has much less to do there, so it's sort of hard to judge them side by side in that regard. And Universal truly does have off-peak days where you don't even need an express pass to get everything done in one day. Even a "slow" day at Disney still isn't THAT slow. [I can't judge US Orlando, because I've never been. But USH for sure.)

That said, there is a numbers game here, a mix of cost vs. crowd control that could keep Lightning Lanes manageable, but also keep standby lines more manageable than they have been for those on a budget. They just haven't found the right mix yet, and who knows if they ever will. I suppose MaxPass worked better because there was still a free FastPass option, and the fee for MaxPass was just for an upgraded experience. (And I say that as one of the people who have had ZERO problems using Genie+, whether out of pure luck or good timing.)

That’s true… there’s a lot less to do at Universal although it’ll get a little more competitive once Nintendo world opens. We have platinum passes so we get express after 3. Another great tip for universal is go on those rare days they open at 8am…. It’s like a literal ghost town until 9:30/10. We did this in July and rode HP and JP four times in a row. I feel like even rope drop at Disneyland is nuts at certain times of the year…. Like right now.

I have also been hoping (praying is more like it) that they would get rid of Genie+.

Yes, Disney, please listen to your consumers. Get rid of Genie+, bring back: maxpass, an hour, not 30 minutes early entry, cast members, fixed rides, quality food for a fair price, free parking for hotel guests, etc. Your AP/MK holders keep your parks in CA with a steady stream of funds, please quit pooping on them and bring back the value to those passes. (In 2009, the middle AP cost $329 with 51 total block out dates! Now, you can't even get an AP/MK if you would want one).

Yea. That's right.

This just puts Disney in perspective. They are a company that appears to be all about the bottom line which I completely get. It just feels like the bang for my buck just isn't there like it was back in 2019. Everything feels a little watered down.

Maybe at $25 people won't buy it.....:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:. I crack myself up sometimes, but seriously if no one bought it, the park experience would be so much better.

Agree. The current DL product is NOT a premium product. Far from it IMHO. Last week our experience was a disappointment as the parks were packed to the point that it wasn’t enjoyable but as I stated in another thread, the suits could care less. They know that if a person leaves, there is another person to take their place.

No stage shows.
No parades.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter