getting a florida resident id?

momof2princesses14

Earning My Ears
My mom bought a condo a few miles outside of disney several months ago but will only live in it part of the year because she is also keeping her home in Louisiana. So of course she would like to be able to purchase a florida resident annual pass. Disney requires a Florida ID card to do so. She went to a DMV near her condo to get one and they informed her that effective October 15th in order to get a Fl ID you must show Florida Drivers License. She had recent utility bills and deed to her condo, she pays florida taxes now and had her passport as proof of identity. This just doesn't make sense to me as I feel there are some people in Fl who don't drive and therefore would not have a Fl drivers license. I told my mom she needs to go to a different DMV and ask someone else but she is pretty passive about things. Has anyone else encountered this problem?
Thanks in advance

Found this on the FL state site...

Florida law requires identification, proof of date of birth, proof of residential address, and proof of social security number (if issued, Chapter 322, Florida Statutes, requires the Department see proof of social security number for the issuance of driver license and identification cards) from all customers before a driver license or identification card can be issued. The name assigned to the social security number must match the name that will appear on the Florida driver license or identification card. If you have recently changed your name, update your records with the Social Security Administration before you apply for your license or identification card. Each U.S. citizen who applies for an original driver license or identification card must submit:

I. Primary Identification - One of the following (5) documents:

1. Certified United States birth certificate, including territories and District of Columbia (the birth certificate must be issued by a government agency. Hospital birth certificates cannot be accepted); or
2. Valid unexpired United States passport; or Passport Card
3. Consular Report of Birth Abroad
4. Certificate of Naturalization , Form N-550 or Form N-570
5. Certificate of Citizenship, Form N-560 or Form N-561

Important Please Note :

* Proof of citizenship or legal presence may be required for renewal or replacement licenses. Please come prepared to present one of the above identification documents as proof of citizenship or legal presence.
* When necessary, marriage certificates, court orders, or divorce decrees must be provided to tie the name on the primary identification to the name the customer would like to place on the driver license or identification card.
* For the first visit in an issuance office after January 1, 2010, individuals will need to present proof of identity, social security number and two proof of residential address. This applies for all transactions, (renewal, card replacement, change of address or name).

I looked quickly and couldn't find anything specific to an ID card only, but you can poke around to find more info HERE

I've already read all of that info and my mom even brought a print out of it when she went and the DMV worker said as of Oct 15 she needs a Florida DL to get a Florida ID which just makes no sense at all

Due to the new Federal RealID requirements, many states are instituting more stringent identification policies. Someone just posted about the new Florida rules recently saying that it would be more difficult for people with 2 residences to get Florida IDs. I don't remember all the details though.

I don't believe you can get a Florida ID card AND a Florida drivers license - it's one or the other - so I don't think what you posted (or what she was told) was correct.

PS - I did find this - which explains a bit about the new requirements - but it's really about the fact that part-time residents can no longer get "valid in Florida only" licenses anymore and keep their previous state's license:
As of Jan. 1, 2010, Florida will have new documentation requirements for residents renewing or obtaining a new driver license or identification card. Applicants must present primary identification in the form of a valid birth certificate or passport, proof of a Social Security number in the form of a paycheck, W-2 form or Social Security card and proof of residential address, including a Florida voter registration card, vehicle registration or title.

So if she doesn't have a voter registration card, car registration or title - she might not be able to get one. Perhaps that's what the DMV person was saying.

you don't get both an ID card and a DL... you get either/or.

a FL ID is that, an ID, but no allowance, as an ID to drive (unless you have another DL from antoerh state).

the FL DL is an ID like above, but give you the priviledge to drive in the state, if you don't have another DL from another state.

here's the website.. http://www.gathergoget.com/

Unless things changed with the new ruling, you CAN get a FL only DL. You keep your primary states DL and then they will issue a DL that is valid in FL only.

I had one before I moved here. You may need proof of FL residency now but when I got mine, I did not. Utility bill, mortgage papers, tax bills were valid proof for the DL office.

It sounds like she's a Louisiana resident who owns property in Florida (as do so many) and that's the issue. Right? I think a lot of people who have rentals homes here are not considered Florida residents and don't qualify for the FL resident AP.

What if she surendered her Louisiana DL?

It sounds like she's a Louisiana resident who owns property in Florida (as do so many) and that's the issue. Right? I think a lot of people who have rentals homes here are not considered Florida residents and don't qualify for the FL resident AP.

What if she surendered her Louisiana DL?

Rental homes are one thing, summer or second homes were something else. Now that I think of it, I did need a SS card or passport. Now it sounds like that this new policy starts the first of theyear. If she is here now, she should qualify under the old rules.

Since this subject is only tangentially related to the theme parks, I've moved it to the Theme Parks Community board. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter