Getting in lines with a wheelchair?

Win5DW

Earning My Ears
We're going to have my MIL and FIL with us for 2 days at the theme parks and my MIL will be in a wheelchair. If she is not actually going on a specific ride but all of the rest of us are -- do we have to go into the regular line or can we go in the wheelchair accessible line and she can wait for us? She will go on some rides but not all and my FIL and the rest of us will go on more than her.

Most of the rides no longer have wheelchair access because the lines are accessible. If your MIL isn't going on the rides find her a spot in the shade under a tree and have her wait for you there. There is no waiting area where the wheelchairs are while someone is on the ride. The chairs are moved off to the side and then pulled back by the CM when the ride is over.

Most lines at WDW are mostly accessible and you will be expected to use the regular line even in a wheelchair and in answer to the question you asked No if the person in the chair is not riding there are no specials perks for those traveling with that person.
If she is not going on the ride park her inside a cool building and either use fast pass or go in regular lines.

Another option is to take her on the line with you. Alll of the attractions have a "chicken exit" just before boarding.

This will keep her being by herself to a minimum and she will be able to meet upo with you in a very short time. It also allows her to see the theming of the queues.

That's a good idea -- Do they all have this "chicken exit"? I just don't want her sitting too long by herself....we also will probably try to stick to maybe MGM and AK while she's with us since those two have attractions that she's more likely to be able to go on.

No they all don't have chicken exits. They have them on rides that may need them. That said if you decide at the last minute you don't want to ride let the castmember know and they will guide you out.

As others mentioned, most of the regular lines at WDW are wheelchair accessible (called Mainstream Access). There are some lines which have wheelchair entrances since the regular entrance was not able to be made totally wheelchair accessible, but they are for use if the person using the wheelchair is planning to ride. The regular boarding and exit for many rides are at different places - sometime you board on one side of a track and exit on the other side, so it would not be possible for her to go in line with you and just wait somewhere in the building until you are done.
The only rides with chicken exits are the ones where someone is likely to change their mind about going on at the last minute - in other words, things like roller coasters and thrill rides.
Are you planning to be at the parks on days that she will not be with you? If you are, it might be easier to plan the 2 days she will be with you around the attractions she does want to participate in. There are lots of shows she would probably enjoy and some rides that she would be able to go on even if she needs to stay in the wheelchair. Your idea of concentrating on MGM and AK is good because those parks have the most rides/attractions that are totally accessible.
Here's a
link to official Disney web page listing "Mainstream Lines". There is a link on that page to information about touring with mobility disabilities.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter