Getting Out of the Cold: A January 2024 Visit To Fort Wilderness

YESTERDAY....

It was a great day. Got into MK about 10am and left about 630pm with good weather. Little commentary, mostly pics.

Our boat arrives.

No kids on this trip so no wild rides. No Big Thunder, no Space Mountain, no Tron. But we skipped the long wait time rides (no biggy) Jungle Cruise and Haunted.

But what we did see/do/ride:

Philharmagic.

Then we headed to our lunch time at Tony's.

Bama Ed

Heading through the castle I admire the artwork of it.

Lunch was at Tony's Town Square Restaurant. This place had TERRIBLE reviews for decades/years and then a few years ago got a new head chef and turned things around. It had gotten good reviews recently so we decided to try it. And it was good!

We were seated in the patio (not the main dining room and not the outside porch). It was well lit with natural light. DW got the Italian Wedding Soup (thumbs up) only. I got the Shrimp Scampi which was delicious.

Next post.

Bama Ed

So great that you got to see Country Bear Jamboree one more time before its big show change- (tomorrow is its last day)!

Sorry to interrupt your trip report but Hey If I could sniff out the Weinermobile on property a few weeks ago , I expect you to find those Cabins on property . Where would a truck driver wait for delivery inspection and instructions and enjoy a hot cup of coffee ?
Bet your coffee is good .
I would drive over but I don’t think they will let me on property without a reservation.
And the traffic sucked today …Fair Warning I think it is going to be a busy day.

Thanks for your fun trip report .
I might have to go tomorrow to say Goodbye to the Country Bears til they return .

During lunch, right over my shoulder out the window, there was a group of new Cast Members in Traditions training getting a work tour of the MK.

Instead of dessert after lunch, we got a Mickey Ice Cream Sammich.

The Popcorn Cart nearby had a clean-up crew picking up loose kernels.

Then the steam boat and views from it.

Hall of Presidents

And one of DD's favorites, the 3pm Festival of Fantasy Parade.

Next post.

Bama Ed

So great that you got to see Country Bear Jamboree one more time before its big show change- (tomorrow is its last day)!

I knew this so I took a ton of pics the first time I saw it.

Later we sat through it a second time and I took a full show video.

When I get home, I will also pull the audio track off the video into an mp3.

I remember the older show plus the seasonal shows they used to rotate through during the year (summer show, Christmas show, and I think one more) which I have the mp3 of.

Continuing.

Walked by this.

Then a full circle tour on the Walt Disney World Railroad from the Fantasyland Station.

When we returned to Frontierland Station, at the bottom of the exit ramp, a College Program girl was tending the rope in her conductor uniform. I offered to buy her conductor's hat for $100 (she could say she lost it) but she refused like a good CM. But she let me take a close-up picture of it so I can try to find one like it on the internet.

Last ride.

Night lights coming on as we make our way out.

One more post of yesterday.

Bama Ed

Heading out.

Waiting at the MK dock for the FW boat, more free workers entertaining folks.

Back at the Fort dock, the small boat was running.

Headed to Yacht Club for lunch now. More tonight on today's stuff.

Bama Ed

I am loving your trip report. Ft Wilderness campground is the first place I stayed when I was little and my dad took me. It will always hold a special place in my heart and your trip report is bring so many wonderful memories back.

Great photos Ed. i am a little sad about all the construction going on at the Fort. Do you think it will be done by our dismeet in Nov?

Great photos Ed. i am a little sad about all the construction going on at the Fort. Do you think it will be done by our dismeet in Nov?

The conversion process, Kris, will last approximately 18 months (I was told by 2 different construction workers). So they will be about halfway through when we get here in November.

ED

I took a walk this morning about 730am.

There was a little bit of steam rising from the pool.

I always enjoy the sunrise over the wetlands across the road from 1400-500 stretch.

Getting down to 100/400/700, I turned up towards the Meadow TP which was accepting a morning delivery.

Of very important products.

@4077, that silver trailer is still in 1100 so I zoomed in on the front door and it appears to me to only be a glass window with a curtain behind it.

But looking at it from this side as well, it makes me wonder if there is an entry door on the BACK side/end of the trailer (which I couldn't see). Or just on the front?

Continuing on into loop 2100, I noticed something odd. @Teamubr I think you have stayed in 2100. On the right side of this empty site, I notice that the old utility stump is still in the front right corner (which is beside the water spigot that each camper has to use) and a new Eaton power post (like mine in 1500) in the back right corner. Wish my 1500 loop had the old utility stump even if just for ambiance.

This is a good place to break to the next post.

Bama Ed

I posted earlier that I hopped on my bike to circle through 2200-2800 and look for empty sites that meant cabins that got yanked. As I previously posted, I only found the two previously mentioned sites in 2200 loop, 2220 and 2228. But I did take some close-up pics.

This is 2220. It backs up to the field work project that was getting the decking, ironically.

The pavement did not extend under the trailer (I didn't know if it did or didn't). The water spigot is still there (current trailers have a green hose hooked up and hanging there.

Further back on the same side was the sewer hookup and the concrete pad where the air conditioner unit sits on the current trailers.

Beside the sewer hookup is a breaker box with two breakers locked together (I think that's what it was).

Next back on that side is this capped PVC tube.

In that position on the outside of the current trailers is a silver box which I suppose is the power hookup. The metal box has silver metal conduit running down the side of the trailer and then under the crawl space through the lattice covers on the lower sides. I think the tube is linked to the breaker box for the power cable from the loop power grid to the breaker through the pvc into the metal conduit and into the metal box on the outside of the trailer about window high.

Finally in the back rear is the coax cable tv terminal box. I tugged on the wires and they both appeared to loop behind the back of the neighboring cabins on either side so they are served from the rear of the site.

Here was 2228 set up the same way.

This CM was pressure washing the concrete pavement (drive and approach to steps) in front of this cabin.

One more post to finish up today.

Bama Ed

DW and I went to lunch today at Ale & Compass Restaurant over at Yacht Club near the Epcot International Gateway. We were looking for some place at an Epcot resort to go eat a table service lunch. One alternative over there, Beaches & Cream, we've been to several times. Across the way at Boardwalk, the Big River Grille closed last week so that was no longer an option.

So we went to Ale & Compass and ran into Ken, the long time server from Trails End (as in decades). He was working as a host and I told him that we missed him over at Trails End. He said he missed the people there too but that they were treating him well in this new assignment. Ken was always very kind, positive, gentle, friendly, and hard-working for his guests.

I asked if I could take his picture and he said he felt like a celebrity - to which I replied he was to us.

He said his daughter encouraged him to move away from serving because it was stressful so he agreed to work as a host at Ale & Compass.

The menu there is not broad but it is varied.

DW chose the "Blackened Sustainable Fish Tacos" (using mahi mahi).

I had a fine serving of Fish & Chips.

They were both delicious.

The Yacht Club has as its perhaps most distinctive feather a short lighthouse on the waterway at the pier that provides boat service to Epcot and DHS.

scaffolding-down-lighthouse-yacht-club-8-1200x900.jpg

I just went through a phase of visiting all the historical lighthouses I could around the coast of Florida over about the past 2 years. I collected refrigerator magnets of many (if available) as souvenirs of those visits. Although not historical, I counted this as a visit to another Florida lighthouse so you know what that means.

Since it is NOT historical, I'll put this one on the side of the fridge whereas the others (13 of them IIRC) are on the front.

This afternoon I started work on the puzzle - this one is a train picture of the Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad. It runs back and forth along the Colorado-New Mexico border and DW & me rode it in 2021 and 2023.

Of course the first step is to separate edge pieces from non-edge. And I also piled up the logo section and the steam locomotive pieces as best I could while sorting things out.

I got this far before stopping for the night.

Two contractors in yellow vests came through the 1500 loop on foot checking the site number posts. One wanted to talk about my Aliner. I asked him back what they were doing and the plan is to replace the wooden number posts with square metal ones about the same color with reflective tape numbers. So be on the lookout for those coming soon.

That's all for today.

Tomorrow we will repeat a family tradition and have lunch over at Disney Springs. You know pics will follow. And also my first grocery run of this trip.

Bama Ed

Last edited:
1. We visited MK for several hours with Ed and his dear wife.
2. I HAD to do CoP, first, as is my MK tradition.
3. Disney-is-not-Disney without CoP!
4. I saw it at 1964 World's fair and MUST see it every trip.
5. CoP and a Mickey ice cream sandwich AND I AM HOME !!!

6. Ed sang Carousel of Progress tune during scene changes.
. . . I heard noises behind me
. . . BUT, thought it was a tortured cat.
. . . So did a few Cast Members, AND, Florida ASPCA.

Your 'Economic Beer-ometer' made nDH's jaw hit the floor. He brings is own beer anyway since he has very particular tastes (dark and strong) and the 'premium' beer he buys is about that price and it's 11% vs 5% so his supply 'lasts longer'. At least according to him it does.

Well 11% is like a glass of wine.

I'll try to get over to the Meadow TP again, @StormyCA , and get prices of the more highbrow expensive brands.

I'm a Yuengling Lager guy myself and brought my own from home (to start with). Average price is $1.10 per can compared to the Disney price of $3 per for the Miller water. So I agree with your DH.

ED

@4077, that silver trailer is still in 1100 so I zoomed in on the front door and it appears to me to only be a glass window with a curtain behind it.
IMG_0550.jpeg

Not sure if what you saw was vintage or modern, but I think this company, Bowlus, is making trailers like this currently… front door opening…. They do have a website.

IMG_0552.jpeg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter