Getting to VGC from Orange County

disneypoor

DH thinks I have a "thing" for Mickey!
DVC Gold
Hi! We are using our DVC to go to Disneyland in July. We are flying in to Orange County. I just wondered if we would need to book transfers before we leave, or if transfers are easy to get and not too over priced if you wait until you get to the airport? TIA for any help!

Susan

They are very easy to get once you arrive. Just head out from baggage claim and there will be options for shuttles or else the Disneyland Express. Over on the DL board you should find a thread on transportation and probably a link to a coupon or two.

I never bother prearranging transportation. And depending on the number in your group a taxi might not be a bad option since SNA is fairly close. Unless you arrive during rush hour. :eek:

Thank you for your reply. There will only be four of us, so it sounds like finding transportation should be easy. I appreciate your fast response. :)

Susan

Yep, there is a large and well detailed sticky thread on getting to/from the regional airports and Disneyland Resort. It reviews car service/shuttles, the Disneland Express bus (need to pay for it), taxi, and other methods. SNA is the closest airport to DLR, and it is straight forward to drive. Depending on time of day, it doesn't take long to get from the airport to the resort.

Yep, there is a large and well detailed sticky thread on getting to/from the regional airports and Disneyland Resort. It reviews car service/shuttles, the Disneland Express bus (need to pay for it), taxi, and other methods. SNA is the closest airport to DLR, and it is straight forward to drive. Depending on time of day, it doesn't take long to get from the airport to the resort.

Thank you! I will check out the thread. We weren't DVC the last time we went to DL (which was a LONG time ago), and we've never flown in to SNL, so this is all new to me. Pretty excited to stay at VGC though!:cool1: We love DL but always tend to go to WDW because we're DCL addicts. Super excited to get back to California! Thanks again!

Susan

I usually use Super Shuttle. They have better times for the return and don't require a transfer/stop at The Disneyland Hotel like Disneyland Express does.

We used Super Shuttle last time we were there from LAX. They were great!

First of all, I love flying into SNA. It is my favorite airport. So small and friendly.

In the past, we used to use the Disneyland Express Bus or Super Shuttle, but now that my preschooler requires a fare, it is cheaper to take a taxi cab. Our trips in 2013 and 2012 were $35-40 one way in a taxi and we just walked right out of the airport and over to the taxi stand. Nothing to schedule or pre-arrange. No other stops along the way to drop other people off (we were on the Super Shuttle from heck one trip and got a good tour of many neighborhoods of OC)

On our most recent trip, I took Disneyland Express by myself to the airport to pick up our rental car. For whatever reason, it took f...o...r....e...v...e...r. Looking back at my texts to my husband, it was 45 minutes from when the bus picked me up at the Grand Californian Hotel to when the bus actually left Disney property. It didn't seem like it was standard, but sitting on a flipping bus when you'd rather be in Disneyland playing or on the road getting to your destination stunk. For that wasted time I would've rather ponied up the extra cash and taken a cab alone.

I wondered if getting a cab would be just as cheap and more convenient. Sounds like maybe that's what we should do. Thanks for your reply!

Susan

A cab will likely be cheaper. When you are at the hotel, ask for a cab voucher for the return trip. The voucher will give you a guaranteed rate back to the airport. In late May, I paid $40 with tip from the VGC to Orange County airport using the voucher.

Thanks for the info! I've never heard of getting a cab voucher so I will definitely check that out!

Susan

We've taken Supershuttle once (one happened to be leaving as we walked out to the shuttle area) and Disneyland Express twice (once we prebooked to get a discount, the second time we used coupons at the stand). Last week when we were at VGC we took a cab. I had priced it on Yellow Cab's site before we left and it estimated about $45, which is much better than the Disneyland Express or Supershuttle per person rates. When I was getting our bags from Bell Service to head back to the airport they asked me if we needed a cab and they said they'd call one for us and handed us the voucher. It was $35 flat rate plus tip. I asked if I could take a few (we are going back in Dec) but they said they are subject to change so they don't like to give them out in advance.
A cab was very easy. We had more traffic on the way back, so it was nice to have a flat rate. As a PP stated, check when you are arriving/leaving. If you are during rush hour than you want to ensure you have a flat rate or you might want to take the Shuttles...

Thank you for the info. I seriously would have never thought about making sure I got a flat rate!

Susan

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter