Getting very tired of resale brokers who feel like ghosting is OK. Marking them off my list one by one.

thelionqueen

DIS Veteran
Ok so I’m just going to say it.. regardless of the reason, not responding (ghosting) is NEVER OK.

I’m fully aware my offers are very low, but they’re serious offers nonetheless. Even brokers I’ve used before to buy or sell, just don’t respond. I’ve given the benefit of the doubt a few times, but no more. Regardless of the rationale, if you don’t respond to me, you’re never getting a look from me again. I Have a large social media presence which I will actively discuss. We get at least 2-3 requests each day asking for broker recommendations.. just sayen.

Interestingly enough, a few brokers I rarely engaged, are now the only sites I will visit and the 2 biggest ones, I will never endorse or patronize again.

Note to these brokers…be careful how you treat consumers. The 30 second email you don’t send, can and will cost you more than you could fathom. For example..I referred a buyer to the 2 larger brokers on the market. Neither one followed through professionally, one not at all. She currently has 4 (yes FOUR) in ROFR with one just passing. So that’s 5 contracts totaling approx $137,000 in revenue and that’s just 1 person in my very large network.

She didn’t get any response whatsoever from 1 company then a terse response from the other. Those 2 missteps cost each company quite a bit now, and even more in the future.

Simply put… be professional, respectful and do your job. Takes less than a minute to respond Pretty simple. Rant over.

Really need an automated bidding process so brokers don't have to be involved unless a deal is agreed upon. It must be exhausting for brokers to get lowball offers all day and have to go through the communications.
I worked with with one (https://dvcsales.com/) where there was no human broker involved until an offer was accepted. I make an offer, the system says if it is below the buyers minimum threshold and then it goes directly to the seller for them to accept, counter, or reject.

The mobile website wasn’t as easy to navigate as others, but it got the job done. So, it is possible for brokers to do this.

These brokers don’t want you as a client.

I can’t think of a kinder way to say that.

So I’d find another broker and move on.
Agreed! And I am. Just highlighting that poor business behaviors cost in ways beyond one offer/transaction. There are plenty who are professional and do their job regardless of what they might think personally.

One of these 2 brokers lost 4 of the 5 contracts of just 1 person & that’s not me. But their unprofessional ways caused this result. I have zero issue blacklisting them, my point is that, they may not care about losing me as a lowball consumer, nor do I, but the ramifications are vast and long lasting. I’m trying to say that avoiding a 30 second email can and realistically could, cost hundreds of thousands of dollars in future/return consumers.

I’d love to hear who thinks a 30 second response, or lack thereof, is worth that amount of lost revenue. I don’t endorse them, those that don’t endorse them based on my recommendation don’t endorse them and so on and so on. Food for thought..

I worked with with one (https://dvcsales.com/) where there was no human broker involved until an offer was accepted. I make an offer, the system says if it is below the buyers minimum threshold and then it goes directly to the seller for them to accept, counter, or reject.

The mobile website wasn’t as easy to navigate as others, but it got the job done. So, it is possible for brokers to do this.
I worked with them too & found it to be pretty straightforward. I both love and don’t love their website/process. The people are always available & helpful.. never had any issue. And my lowball offers were below what the seller would accept..perfect, easy peasy. However, I don’t love the automated nature overall, but it does work for many.

Ok so I’m just going to say it.. regardless of the reason, not responding (ghosting) is NEVER OK.

I’m fully aware my offers are very low, but they’re serious offers nonetheless. Even brokers I’ve used before to buy or sell, just don’t respond. I’ve given the benefit of the doubt a few times, but no more. Regardless of the rationale, if you don’t respond to me, you’re never getting a look from me again. I Have a large social media presence which I will actively discuss. We get at least 2-3 requests each day asking for broker recommendations.. just sayen.

Interestingly enough, a few brokers I rarely engaged, are now the only sites I will visit and the 2 biggest ones, I will never endorse or patronize again.

Note to these brokers…be careful how you treat consumers. The 30 second email you don’t send, can and will cost you more than you could fathom. For example..I referred a buyer to the 2 larger brokers on the market. Neither one followed through professionally, one not at all. She currently has 4 (yes FOUR) in ROFR with one just passing. So that’s 5 contracts totaling approx $137,000 in revenue and that’s just 1 person in my very large network.

She didn’t get any response whatsoever from 1 company then a terse response from the other. Those 2 missteps cost each company quite a bit now, and even more in the future.

Simply put… be professional, respectful and do your job. Takes less than a minute to respond Pretty simple. Rant over.

Insulting to whom?

A seller lists a contract at another price and a buyer responds.

If the buyer is acting in good faith, just because it is an aggressive offer doesn’t mean it is necessarily insulting.

If we start saying offers are insulting I would say I find half of the contracts listed on the board sponsors site to be insulting because their prices are insulting to think I would pay that much for a contract.

If a buyer is difficult, rude, or refuses to make good on the offers they provide or pulls them constantly that’s different. I’d quit responding.

I agree that a response that an offer was received is appropriate.

I also think that buyers who are submitting low offers should not get upset or be offended if a broker is dismissive of the offer either. It’s business.

And, of course, a brokers response might cause them to lose business. I have dealt with plenty, including those who are direct..others could describe as rude..and it didnt t bother me because I knew gojng iin i was asking well below.

I have shared before but as a seller I always gave brokers directions to not even bother me with offers below a certain threshold. Not that it would offend me, but because I already knew it was a no and no need to waste anyone’s time, including the buyer.

By exhausting you mean doing their job? Not meant to be snarky, but that is literally what they’re paid to do.

I learned a lot about people and psychology on my 40+ years on this rock. Having been doing various manual labor, construction, hustles, and sales over that time, as well as a bunch of professional services/IT later in my life. Some things to consider.

At the end of the day the easiest way to break up people is in 4 easy buckets of a combo of 2 things - pace and focus. Pace is fast or slow and focus is people or tasks. That gives you 4 possible combos - Fast/Task, Slow/Task, Fast/People, and Slow/People. Any guess where the largest % (and by a wide margin) of the population of the USA resides? It's Slow/People. And yea, in many a business transaction people will put up masks and fake one of the others but it's rare they hold onto that mask if you find out who they actually are and meet them where they are.

Sure it's more important that the salesperson meets you where you are, but let me tell you another secret, making good relationships with sales professionals is also to your benefit. Make it worth their while and make them want to work with you because they like you and you show you care about them and understand how much of a pain in the behind you are...

Which leads me to another point. People who you work hard for and get the best deals usually had the highest chance of being the worst when it came to asking for even more after the close of the deal. They would be brutal on surveys, complain to management, etc. Sure, it's just business, but sometimes business can suck and the person you fought for and got the best deal nuking you after the deal, going around you and giving your boss a hard time, etc.... yea it sucks.

So, how do you get sales professionals to fight for you even if you are a pain (and yes I am a pain to deal with I'm sure...)? You build relationships, acknowledge that what you are asking for is likely a bit outside the normal, and make it clear to them that you will treat them awesome if they help you. When I buy my cars I tell the salesperson I know how the game works and I tip them a few hundred at the close of the deal so they have no problem fighting to get the striped deal through their manager. I also promise them upfront that they will get a perfect survey as that's important to them and I understand. Same with the maintenance department.

For guides/resale brokers I threat them awesome and they help me out. I ask for favors and I get them to help me and I take care of them. My guide says the director knows my name already for all of the "slightly outside of policy" things I've asked for in past year...

This isn't an attack on you or my fellow DVC fans who are trying to hunt for deals. Just some tips from a more fast paced task/people person (who can also be a jerk a lot) who has learned to slow down a bit when trying to make deals as it helps :)

Last edited:
Screw all of them... Including the ones perceived as being "good". They are not your friends.. They are brokers. I mean really.... its their job. How hard would it be to reply "This is below the minimum the seller will accept".

Screw all of them... Including the ones perceived as being "good". They are not your friends.. They are brokers. I mean really.... its their job. How hard would it be to reply "This is below the minimum the seller will accept".
It is their job to sell things for the seller. Just because you sent an email doesn't mean they are beholden to send one back. They could be getting hundreds of lowball offers a day. My bet is they don't even bother to open emails from certain sellers. They already know it is a waste of their time

It is their job to sell things for the seller. Just because you sent an email doesn't mean they are beholden to send one back. They could be getting hundreds of lowball offers a day. My bet is they don't even bother to open emails from certain sellers. They already know it is a waste of their time
Meant they don't open emails from certain buyers...

I think the other issue is inventory.

Whether buying a housing or a DVC resale contract, if you are trying to get a house in a specific neighborhood/school district OR a certain number of point contract for a low volume home resort in a specific use year…. Sometimes you have to work with whoever has the product you want.

I made an offer on a VGC contract earlier in the year (when resale prices were in a bit of free fall) and the broker said it was a bit low, but within the range of what people were paying at the time… and the seller decided they would just pull it off the market or go somewhere else….So, I can understand that brokers are hesitant to forward on information the sellers won’t like when they fight so hard to get the listing in the first place.

I disagree. Why should they waste their time on responding to insulting offers?
Who is the authority on insulting offers? Look at the ROFR board to see some great deals which some might consider insulting but others don’t. It’s not up to anyone to personally determine an offer insulting. It’s a pretty simple process imo.

I make an offer, the broker presents it (unbiased) and the seller accepts or rejects. That’s literally the definition of a brokers job.

Who is the authority on insulting offers? Look at the ROFR board to see some great deals which some might consider insulting but others don’t. It’s not up to anyone to personally determine an offer insulting. It’s a pretty simple process imo.

I make an offer, the broker presents it (unbiased) and the seller accepts or rejects. That’s literally the definition of a brokers job.
I vote @Jimmy Geppetto, that poster gets amazing deals!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter